BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
spera23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

e65 Heated Steering Wheel Problem

My heated steering wheel button does not work. I press it and it stays lit for 2 seconds and then just goes off.

The car was purchased used, so no idea if it ever worked. Running the codes with a BT scanner i get the following:

Switch Centre steering column (SZL)
94F4
Steering Wheel Heating (LHZ) Temperature sensor interrupted
Error will not cause a warning light
Error is currently present

Any ideas????
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spera23 View Post
My heated steering wheel button does not work. I press it and it stays lit for 2 seconds and then just goes off.

The car was purchased used, so no idea if it ever worked. Running the codes with a BT scanner i get the following:

Switch Centre steering column (SZL)
94F4
Steering Wheel Heating (LHZ) Temperature sensor interrupted
Error will not cause a warning light
Error is currently present

Any ideas????
I have exactly the same issue ... But on me e70 ! The dealer has being trying to fix the issue for months. They just ordered a brand new steering wheel and will replace it this coming week ... We'll see. Good luck with fixing your heater !
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Sounds like the temp sensor in the steering wheel is either defective or the wiring between the controller and temp sensor is interrupted (disconnected) somewhere. I'm just guessing that's what the error message means.

I would assume that the controller uses a closed loop type of heat control mechanism meaning that it maintains/controls the temperature of the steering wheel via a temp sensor mounted within the steering wheel (most likely right under the leather close to where you have your hands) for feedback information. It could be as simple as a disconnected wire or harness somewhere or it could also mean that the actual sensor if defective. Have you looked to see if there are any connectors that might be disconnected within the steering column?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

yep-replace the steering wheel
Appreciate 0