BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #155
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Very interesting indeed. I've got this image in my head now of you leaning back, barely able to reach the pedals with the steering wheel doing it's best impression of a giraffe's neck you've extended it out so far

Going from where the chair looks to line up with the rear seat vents I think you've got the seat a tad more back on the 760 but only a little. As you say though it doesn't seem like a massive difference when you've done your tests. The eye can be a bit deceiving I guess as it looks quite a bit bigger with no one sat in it.

I can see why they don't bother selling both lengths in the US as they'd have no trouble parking a G12 there but I wonder why they go to the effort to make a SWB and LWB. 13cm isn't much, just looked and the iPhone X is 14.3cm so it's less than the length of an iPhone. Just seems like a lot of design effort to do both.

I imagine if they came to the UK and said only doing the LWB that might hurt sales as something would click in our minds that LWB is too big. If however they just launched a new gen, said they were killing off the LWB but the new one is 13cm longer than the last one... You'd probably not bat an eye lid. At least until you realised you'd have to move your shed

Well not so worried about parking it for the most part at least vs when I maybe ordered it. I think the fact it was a "LWB" was screwing with my mind.

You need to ask them to have a test drive in the M760Li. Not just because it's extremely quick but I'd be interested in your opinion on the 4 wheel steering, etc. Someone who's had a current gen 7 series for quite a while and could give an opinion on it.

Tell them if they don't let you drive one your wife is going to get an Audi Though you've got to promise me you come out of princess Comfort Plus and give Sport a go. It's quite amazing how well it drives for the size in that mode considering it's size and weight. It also opens the flap up in the exhaust so it sounds louder
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:00 AM   #156
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Very interesting indeed. I've got this image in my head now of you leaning back, barely able to reach the pedals with the steering wheel doing it's best impression of a giraffe's neck you've extended it out so far
That's me, Gangsta Princess!

We all have different body shapes and dimensions, I think I have quite long legs and do have some issues in smaller cars when I can't stretch out my legs fully as a passenger so maybe this adds to the differences. When I stand barefoot and measure from the floor to where I would have a belt around my hips, that dimension is 102 cm from a quick measurement so this may be why I have my seat back further than some others that also happen to be the same height? I do put it back in both cars until it stops and I do have the steering wheel at full telescope out but that is because I've been taught that one should just be able to rest your wrist (where it joins the hand) on the top of the steering wheel with your arm fully extended to ensure one is the right distance from the steering wheel in case the airbag does go off. This was many years ago and another lifetime (it seems) in Germany so may be different now...I do find many people drive too close or too far away from the steering wheel and in an accident the airbag won't have its maximum protection but again, this was many years ago when I was taught that and things may have changed since. Anyway, just call me GP for short from now on!

Quote:
Going from where the chair looks to line up with the rear seat vents I think you've got the seat a tad more back on the 760 but only a little. As you say though it doesn't seem like a massive difference when you've done your tests. The eye can be a bit deceiving I guess as it looks quite a bit bigger with no one sat in it.
That could be and it may be that the exec lounge seats aren't in the same place as standard seats as well so your car could be different and have more room that what my pics show.

I will say that there was less than an iPhone x length between my knees and the seats, my impression was that it was a hands width which for me is 9 cm...

Quote:
I can see why they don't bother selling both lengths in the US as they'd have no trouble parking a G12 there but I wonder why they go to the effort to make a SWB and LWB. 13cm isn't much, just looked and the iPhone X is 14.3cm so it's less than the length of an iPhone. Just seems like a lot of design effort to do both.
Interesting when you put it like that, I agree. When I look at my iPhone and think that is the difference between lengths of the cars, I'd not be bothered in the least at that extra length to be honest, but when I think Limo or 13 cm it does make one think of a bigger distance. Given that, you'll be fine with parking in most car parks and NCP's as I've not had any I couldn't get around, although one I had to do a bit of back and forth...the (small) extra length would also mean you could indeed get away with only taking one space and extending out a bit more than I currently do without issue. The integrated steering will indeed mean you can swing more than I can! (ha, swinging in the fast lane...) You'll just need to be mindful of the extra metal that is hanging out in front and back of that radius which is the problem in the NCP's....

Next one (assuming this ratio stays the same, and given its only an iPhone length difference) will definitely be a LWB then as I love that panoramic sunroof and would do it just for that reason alone.

Looks like the shed is going to be moving in the future!

Quote:
Well not so worried about parking it for the most part at least vs when I maybe ordered it. I think the fact it was a "LWB" was screwing with my mind.
Completely agree.

Quote:
You need to ask them to have a test drive in the M760Li. Not just because it's extremely quick but I'd be interested in your opinion on the 4 wheel steering, etc. Someone who's had a current gen 7 series for quite a while and could give an opinion on it.

Tell them if they don't let you drive one your wife is going to get an Audi Though you've got to promise me you come out of princess Comfort Plus and give Sport a go. It's quite amazing how well it drives for the size in that mode considering it's size and weight. It also opens the flap up in the exhaust so it sounds louder
I'll try and give that line a spin! They have a SWB 730 out front but maybe they have a 760 kicking around too...would love to try it in sport mode. (I'd have to bring an extra pillow for my sensitive behind mind you!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #157
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
That's me, Gangsta Princess!
Gangsta Princess, I like it

Quote:
When I stand barefoot and measure from the floor to where I would have a belt around my hips, that dimension is 102 cm from a quick measurement so this may be why I have my seat back further than some others that also happen to be the same height?
Something tells me you never leave home without your car keys, wallet, phone and a tape measure

Quote:
I do put it back in both cars until it stops and I do have the steering wheel at full telescope out but that is because I've been taught that one should just be able to rest your wrist (where it joins the hand) on the top of the steering wheel with your arm fully extended to ensure one is the right distance from the steering wheel in case the airbag does go off. This was many years ago and another lifetime (it seems) in Germany so may be different now...I do find many people drive too close or too far away from the steering wheel and in an accident the airbag won't have its maximum protection but again, this was many years ago when I was taught that and things may have changed since. Anyway, just call me GP for short from now on!
So I think there's also another reason for this. I'd thought with your wrists resting on the steering wheel your arms should be slightly bent. Not much but just a little. Along with the airbag with is an important point, if you go around a corner pretty quickly without proper racing seats your going to slide a bit to the corner of your seat. The opposite edge of the steering wheel is now further away. If you can only just reach it in a straight line you run the risk of being shifted to the point you might struggle to reach the wheel properly / be able to turn it, etc. So it's dangerous in that regards as well.

I did a track day experience a long time ago and when it came around to driving a 911 the instructor insisted I wasn't close enough and made me move the seat closer and closer. It was simply too close, there was a point on the track where my foot got struck trying to move from the accelerator to the brake simply because I was wedged in so tight. Managed to sort it and not die but was just damn comfortable and wasn't happy with that at all. Other instructors didn't have an issue with my seating position and I drove around the track just fine.

Quote:
That could be and it may be that the exec lounge seats aren't in the same place as standard seats as well so your car could be different and have more room that what my pics show.
I'll add a the only pic I have of the rear of the M760Li I borrowed. The drivers seat is setup for me and I think the seat behind it is reclined quite a bit if not all the way knowing the kids. I don't believe the Executive Lounge package moves the rear seats, it's all about that centre console which has a table in it and so on. It doesn't add the foot rest, that's another option as well but that's the one that removes all the massage and other movement out of the front passenger seat. So neither of those thanks as just zero need or desire for them.

Quote:
I will say that there was less than an iPhone x length between my knees and the seats, my impression was that it was a hands width which for me is 9 cm...
Yeah it's surprising but I guess all that extra length is in the rear passenger space. The boot isn't any bigger, I imagine neither is the engine bay or any other part of the car.

Quote:
Interesting when you put it like that, I agree. When I look at my iPhone and think that is the difference between lengths of the cars, I'd not be bothered in the least at that extra length to be honest, but when I think Limo or 13 cm it does make one think of a bigger distance. Given that, you'll be fine with parking in most car parks and NCP's as I've not had any I couldn't get around, although one I had to do a bit of back and forth...the (small) extra length would also mean you could indeed get away with only taking one space and extending out a bit more than I currently do without issue. The integrated steering will indeed mean you can swing more than I can! (ha, swinging in the fast lane...) You'll just need to be mindful of the extra metal that is hanging out in front and back of that radius which is the problem in the NCP's....
I've only recently taken my M5 into an NCP after two years of ownership. I try and avoid them like the plague. The M5 is on the older surround view which has the rear and 2 sides poorly stitched together, there's no front camera. If you know the NCP then I imagine it's fine but if you've never been in that one it's an utter gamble if you ask me. Both in terms of angles, curb placement and how tight they are on entrance / exit plus the size of the parking spaces. Once your committed to going in you've no choice but to continue really.

As you say it's probably fine but certainly will still try to avoid them if I can and definitely until I feel more comfortable placing the new car. Especially as first car with 4 wheel steering so that changes where the rear might be somewhat, hopefully for the better but it's not what your used to.

Quote:
Next one (assuming this ratio stays the same, and given its only an iPhone length difference) will definitely be a LWB then as I love that panoramic sunroof and would do it just for that reason alone.

Looks like the shed is going to be moving in the future!
I've yet to have one at night to know what the Sky Lounge looks like in person but it looks nice in videos and pictures. Indeed having the two will be nice. Hopefully the kids don't wear out all the motors in a month or two opening and closing everything all the time. I might have to use that lock to stop them a bit

Quote:
I'll try and give that line a spin! They have a SWB 730 out front but maybe they have a 760 kicking around too...would love to try it in sport mode. (I'd have to bring an extra pillow for my sensitive behind mind you!
Don't see why they wouldn't give you a test drive. You never know who might buy the car. Also considering the way I turn up and dress when buying a car (On purpose to see how they treat me) you most certainly wouldn't think I could afford it. Well unless they've noticed the M5 rocking up which I suspect a lot of car sales people are quite good at catching in the corner of their eyes.

Still you've got a 7 series with a lot of options, I'd be surprised if they don't take you seriously.

My dealers got two 760's! One's registered for the road, other unregistered. The dealership manager was using the registered one for a while I think, one of the joys I guess of working in a dealership

This is the one I drove. The problem with it is it's more expensive than if you ordered one new on PCP plus I don't think they can offer 0% APR on approved used making it even more. They'll have this one for a while I imagine until it drops even more in value.

M760Li Approved Used Peterborough
Attached Images

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 02-11-2018 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #158
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Something tells me you never leave home without your car keys, wallet, phone and a tape measure
Heh, almost...keys, wallet, phone...no tape measure!

Quote:
So I think there's also another reason for this. I'd thought with your wrists resting on the steering wheel your arms should be slightly bent. Not much but just a little. Along with the airbag with is an important point, if you go around a corner pretty quickly without proper racing seats your going to slide a bit to the corner of your seat. The opposite edge of the steering wheel is now further away. If you can only just reach it in a straight line you run the risk of being shifted to the point you might struggle to reach the wheel properly / be able to turn it, etc. So it's dangerous in that regards as well.

I did a track day experience a long time ago and when it came around to driving a 911 the instructor insisted I wasn't close enough and made me move the seat closer and closer. It was simply too close, there was a point on the track where my foot got struck trying to move from the accelerator to the brake simply because I was wedged in so tight. Managed to sort it and not die but was just damn comfortable and wasn't happy with that at all. Other instructors didn't have an issue with my seating position and I drove around the track just fine.
My understanding was that indeed with hands at 10 and 2, they should be just slightly bent (which has now changed apparently and it should be 9 and 3 according to my user manual to avoid the airbag breaking your forearm bones but is hard to remember and get used to), but when you stretch your arm out in front of you and rest it on the top and centre of the steering wheel it should be straight and resting on the wrist to be the correct distance away from the wheel but again, this may be wrong and newer, better information may now be available! I don't like being close to the steering wheel at all either. With the new adjustable car settings, you have the side bolsters firm up and 'pinch' you when you put your 7 in 'sport or sport plus' settings...so hopefully help keep you in place laterally when driving sporty.

Quote:
I'll add a the only pic I have of the rear of the M760Li I borrowed. The drivers seat is setup for me and I think the seat behind it is reclined quite a bit if not all the way knowing the kids. I don't believe the Executive Lounge package moves the rear seats, it's all about that centre console which has a table in it and so on. It doesn't add the foot rest, that's another option as well but that's the one that removes all the massage and other movement out of the front passenger seat. So neither of those thanks as just zero need or desire for them.
Agree, I'd choose the same seat arrangement as you if I was going for the 760... Can't see the captain's chair being of use to most people that have partners or family but the market is there in Asia or for chauffeur services.

Quote:
I've only recently taken my M5 into an NCP after two years of ownership. I try and avoid them like the plague. The M5 is on the older surround view which has the rear and 2 sides poorly stitched together, there's no front camera. If you know the NCP then I imagine it's fine but if you've never been in that one it's an utter gamble if you ask me. Both in terms of angles, curb placement and how tight they are on entrance / exit plus the size of the parking spaces. Once your committed to going in you've no choice but to continue really.

As you say it's probably fine but certainly will still try to avoid them if I can and definitely until I feel more comfortable placing the new car. Especially as first car with 4 wheel steering so that changes where the rear might be somewhat, hopefully for the better but it's not what your used to.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd avoid them if you can, SWB or LWB, as not only is the cornering more challenging but also the spaces are tighter, costs higher, etc...so, as an emergency only but you should be fine with the LWB (as compared to the SWB...both a monster and a bull in a tea shop so a good eye and patience definitely required!) That 4 wheel steering is going to be nice for the occasions you do need it but imagine it won't be every day, maybe I'm wrong.

Quote:
I've yet to have one at night to know what the Sky Lounge looks like in person but it looks nice in videos and pictures. Indeed having the two will be nice. Hopefully the kids don't wear out all the motors in a month or two opening and closing everything all the time. I might have to use that lock to stop them a bit
I've not seen it live but it must be brilliant to have the lighting and massive amount of glass letting in light/view when one wants it. (day or night). Kids will be kids!

Quote:
Don't see why they wouldn't give you a test drive. You never know who might buy the car. Also considering the way I turn up and dress when buying a car (On purpose to see how they treat me) you most certainly wouldn't think I could afford it. Well unless they've noticed the M5 rocking up which I suspect a lot of car sales people are quite good at catching in the corner of their eyes.

Still you've got a 7 series with a lot of options, I'd be surprised if they don't take you seriously.

My dealers got two 760's! One's registered for the road, other unregistered. The dealership manager was using the registered one for a while I think, one of the joys I guess of working in a dealership

This is the one I drove. The problem with it is it's more expensive than if you ordered one new on PCP plus I don't think they can offer 0% APR on approved used making it even more. They'll have this one for a while I imagine until it drops even more in value.
Agreed, no issue with them letting me drive one I think, just that the one they have is on the showroom floor and not sure if they let those go out until they've had a bit of 'use' in the showroom? In any case they may have a 760 somewhere else in their massive car stock behind the dealer as it's a big dealer (Dick Lovett chain) and indeed I am Mr. Casual...I don't like formal and only rarely wheel out the suits anymore! (work wise or privately) If they won't give me the time of day, I go elsewhere. Most places are good these days about not pre-judging people in the UK, one of the things I love about living here to be honest! (certainly compared to Germany!)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #159
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My understanding was that indeed with hands at 10 and 2, they should be just slightly bent (which has now changed apparently and it should be 9 and 3 according to my user manual to avoid the airbag breaking your forearm bones but is hard to remember and get used to), but when you stretch your arm out in front of you and rest it on the top and centre of the steering wheel it should be straight and resting on the wrist to be the correct distance away from the wheel but again, this may be wrong and newer, better information may now be available! I don't like being close to the steering wheel at all either. With the new adjustable car settings, you have the side bolsters firm up and 'pinch' you when you put your 7 in 'sport or sport plus' settings...so hopefully help keep you in place laterally when driving sporty.
I think where I sit is a sensible position from the steering wheel, I don't have it too close. Not sure about my hands all the time though...

Quote:
That 4 wheel steering is going to be nice for the occasions you do need it but imagine it won't be every day, maybe I'm wrong.
I think it makes a difference at all times, making the car feel like it's a smaller wheel base than it is. Driving it didn't feel bigger than the 5 series really. However I feel like I'd have to drive it more before I can really make a proper call on it. Probably one of those things where you need to drive it side by side, I suspect hence why you'd be in a good place to judge it.

At higher speed if I get used to it and change lanes not too quickly at motorway speeds the car moves sideways while keeping straight. Rather than turning and then turning straight again. That'll probably feel a little weird but no doubt good if your chauffeuring people.

Quote:
Agreed, no issue with them letting me drive one I think, just that the one they have is on the showroom floor and not sure if they let those go out until they've had a bit of 'use' in the showroom? In any case they may have a 760 somewhere else in their massive car stock behind the dealer as it's a big dealer (Dick Lovett chain) and indeed I am Mr. Casual...I don't like formal and only rarely wheel out the suits anymore! (work wise or privately) If they won't give me the time of day, I go elsewhere. Most places are good these days about not pre-judging people in the UK, one of the things I love about living here to be honest! (certainly compared to Germany!)
Sounds like you've lived in a few places. What went wrong with your life to get stuck here?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #160
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Car has moved to status 5200 Paintshop Start, things are finally moving!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #161
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Good stuff not much longer to wait for you now. Half a month roughly.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #162
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 730d M-Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
yeah i think mine took a couple of weeks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #163
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Great news 325_bucks , won't be long now...

it's a shame that the production line isn't transparent so that a customer waiting for their order (and only them) could log in and watch the production stages as they happen...Especially the paint booths. Unfortunately there is commercially sensitive info that one can glean as a competitor just from watching the same footage we would get if it were available.

Been lucky enough to visit a few automotive paint production lines and see the processes, its very cool. ^

So, as we get closer...have you thought about where your first drive will be? (assuming it is before the baby and you can set aside some time to do this? Or will you just do the normal routine and then enjoy it on one of the first weekends?

I must admit I sat in mine for long enough after handover that the sales chap came back out and asked me if everything was okay (and upon determining that all was in order, if I could please move the car as they had another delivery that morning! ) ...There is a lot of settings and things to get used to...and of course to simply relish the 'new car' feel.

Getting lighter in the evenings now as well so more time to enjoy her when you do get it...

Do keep us updated! Can you imagine how it must feel for say someone else, that happened to order around the same time to have a car on order and its not yet moved to the paint shop? It must feel like ages pass before anything happens, wouldn't want to be that person
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #164
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

If they had a video feed of my car being built I'd not get any work done. Cool idea but as you say they likely have a few tricks up their sleeves they don't want to share.

Funny that they asked you to move it along. My sales guy knows he doesn't have to run over the car with me because I'll have read the manual so many times I could take a Mastermind quiz on it. Hehe

I'll likely get it back home then start messing with the iDrive to get it configured a bit. Though probably not until I've had a bit of a random drive around first. Had planned to take a holiday however I've got about 18 days holiday left to take before April so I'm off most of March already. Not sure I can get away with booking holiday straight away in April so likely at most might get a long weekend or just be a lot of evening drives, weekends for a bit. Sucks but I'll just be happy to have it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 03:47 AM   #165
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Great news 325_bucks , won't be long now...

it's a shame that the production line isn't transparent so that a customer waiting for their order (and only them) could log in and watch the production stages as they happen...Especially the paint booths. Unfortunately there is commercially sensitive info that one can glean as a competitor just from watching the same footage we would get if it were available.

Been lucky enough to visit a few automotive paint production lines and see the processes, its very cool. ^

So, as we get closer...have you thought about where your first drive will be? (assuming it is before the baby and you can set aside some time to do this? Or will you just do the normal routine and then enjoy it on one of the first weekends?
No the baby doesn't arrive until July so got plenty of time to play. My first longish drive will be from home (near High Wycombe) to Bridgenorth to visit a friend, so that will be a nice blast, although I'll be with a friend in the car so won't be able to enjoy it just to myself. At Easter I'm planning a drive over to my dad in Germany so that's what im looking forward to the most, get to try out all the toys properly. That's not confirmed yet though.

Quote:
I must admit I sat in mine for long enough after handover that the sales chap came back out and asked me if everything was okay (and upon determining that all was in order, if I could please move the car as they had another delivery that morning! ) ...There is a lot of settings and things to get used to...and of course to simply relish the 'new car' feel.
Love the new car feel!

Quote:
Getting lighter in the evenings now as well so more time to enjoy her when you do get it...

Do keep us updated! Can you imagine how it must feel for say someone else, that happened to order around the same time to have a car on order and its not yet moved to the paint shop? It must feel like ages pass before anything happens, wouldn't want to be that person
I know, can you imagine!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 03:57 AM   #166
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Order status moved to 5270 - Paintshop Complete

They say it's due beginning March now, rather than middle. I'm taking this with a pinch of salt as I know that depends very much on shipping schedules etc, and can change but seems to possibly be a little bit ahead of schedule
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 04:57 AM   #167
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Funny that they asked you to move it along. My sales guy knows he doesn't have to run over the car with me because I'll have read the manual so many times I could take a Mastermind quiz on it. Hehe
Well, I had been there an hour after the handover so I can understand it to be honest...I was blocking the sliding door to get the next car in...Time does fly when you have received the new car and you get inside...I thought it might have been 10 minutes but when I looked I felt embarrassed! I happily moved to another place in the dealership and continued to 'ooh' and 'aah' for a ridiculous period of time...luckily the wife wasn't with me so I could fully indulge my own sense of time and sensory inputs...

I had read the manual front to back as well but theory and practise are two different things, so when you get the car and then start looking through the idrive settings (so many of them) and geek out a bit, time flies and you play with the different settings to check them out!

Driving it only a few times a week does help to keep the feeling 'new' and not become a creature of habit where things become 'banal' for me. I do love the car and have to give her a loving caress on the wood and leather when I get in...

Quote:
I'll likely get it back home then start messing with the iDrive to get it configured a bit. Though probably not until I've had a bit of a random drive around first. Had planned to take a holiday however I've got about 18 days holiday left to take before April so I'm off most of March already. Not sure I can get away with booking holiday straight away in April so likely at most might get a long weekend or just be a lot of evening drives, weekends for a bit. Sucks but I'll just be happy to have it.
I imagine it will take you a while to actually sit in the car if you're anything like me, you'll just be happy to stare at the colour and lines of her for a while and ramp up the anticipation...getting in and adjusting settings will take some time, especially with your loaded model...Wherever you drive it on your first drive, I'm sure it will be brilliant. Would love to be a fly on the wall to see the cheshire cat grin on your face with the sound, power and luxury you'll have...

Quote:
No the baby doesn't arrive until July so got plenty of time to play. My first longish drive will be from home (near High Wycombe) to Bridgenorth to visit a friend, so that will be a nice blast, although I'll be with a friend in the car so won't be able to enjoy it just to myself. At Easter I'm planning a drive over to my dad in Germany so that's what im looking forward to the most, get to try out all the toys properly. That's not confirmed yet though.
Brilliant, great that you have some time to get used to it before the baby so everything is not happening all at once! Enjoy your first trips, even with someone else in the car, I'm sure you'll love it.

Quote:
I know, can you imagine!
(Re: still waiting for one's car to move forward to the paint shop)...No, actually, I don't think I could handle it! You and FastlaneJB are far better than I am for dealing with the delivery times here in the UK...I think I'd quite literally be in the showroom every day sitting in one and playing until mine finally arrived if it was more than 2-3 weeks...I'm terrible with such things!

Will be great to have the two of you get them staggered to get impressions at different times and hear points of view.

Quote:

They say it's due beginning March now, rather than middle. I'm taking this with a pinch of salt as I know that depends very much on shipping schedules etc, and can change but seems to possibly be a little bit ahead of schedule
wow, moving faster now, hope it doesn't get bogged down but not long now in any case.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 05:59 AM   #168
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Just spoke to my dealer as decided I want it fully debadged but changing an individual order might move the build slot so they'll just take them off for me when it arrives. So all good.

Also found out my build isn't Week 14 as online had told me, Week 14 is when due at my dealer, build week is 11 so around middle of March with arrival estimated first week of April. So looks like I'll get mine roughly 1 month after you get yours.

Quote:
I had read the manual front to back as well but theory and practise are two different things, so when you get the car and then start looking through the idrive settings (so many of them) and geek out a bit, time flies and you play with the different settings to check them out!

Driving it only a few times a week does help to keep the feeling 'new' and not become a creature of habit where things become 'banal' for me. I do love the car and have to give her a loving caress on the wood and leather when I get in...
In fairness I'll probably be off driving it pretty quickly, then play with the iDrive settings a bit later. A good time for that is to take the wife off shopping to just buy "one item"... I can then sit in the car for about 6 hours until she returns with bags full of "one item"...

In fairness work isn't having me use my car much at all currently so I maybe drive my M5 once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks. It can change but if not I'll just do some personal trips or go for a drive no where at all really.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #169
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Order update

Now at 5300 - Pre Assembly Start.

Can't resist checking!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #170
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just spoke to my dealer as decided I want it fully debadged but changing an individual order might move the build slot so they'll just take them off for me when it arrives. So all good.

Also found out my build isn't Week 14 as online had told me, Week 14 is when due at my dealer, build week is 11 so around middle of March with arrival estimated first week of April. So looks like I'll get mine roughly 1 month after you get yours.
Great news FLJB! ^ (or was that just what the sales chap told you after you've been to see him for updates 4 days in a row! )

Won't debadging it at the dealer affect your paint though? Not sure what adhesive they use to put them on but surely it would be on firmly enough to affect the underlying coat so when the remove it it may be a spot that is more vulnerable? Just wondering, absolutely no idea how the badges and such are fixed to the cars...luckily mine was debadged when I bought it so all good.

Quote:
JIn fairness I'll probably be off driving it pretty quickly, then play with the iDrive settings a bit later. A good time for that is to take the wife off shopping to just buy "one item"... I can then sit in the car for about 6 hours until she returns with bags full of "one item"...

In fairness work isn't having me use my car much at all currently so I maybe drive my M5 once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks. It can change but if not I'll just do some personal trips or go for a drive no where at all really.
Ha! Isn't that the truth...just popping in the shop for one thing...yeah right. I love my iPhone for that reason...I have read many a book these days while waiting for SWMBO to pop in for that one thing...

Although, maybe I should start using that too...honey, I just want to stop in the dealer for one thing or I'll just stop at the pub for one minute...

Sounds like you'll indeed be low mileage with the 7 and therefore extend that special feeling and condition of the car without having to over lavish care and attention on it. ^

I'm glad for you to be getting yours earlier now too but it does take the fun out of having a go at you for the length of time it will take until you get it!

Still great to know you'll both get them staggered and on a selfish level get to hear the reviews and comments / impressions at different times!

Things are really speeding up, and the days are starting to get discernibly lighter for longer...time is truly a fourth dimension that varies with the beholder!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #171
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Order update

Can't resist checking!
Brilliant, love it....

This is going to kill FastLaneJB...his is stuck in the individual groups board meeting again...

"zis Englander jah, he vants vat? Debadged? Vell, ve do offer ze car mit leather but do ve vant to use a Badger?"

"Nein! Zat ist nicht in Ordnung! Vat is mit Zes Crazy Englanders!"

"Hans, machen ze delivery delayed...zat will teach him"

'Ya Chef...wird gemacht!"

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #172
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Brilliant, love it....

This is going to kill FastLaneJB...his is stuck in the individual groups board meeting again...

"zis Englander jah, he vants vat? Debadged? Vell, ve do offer ze car mit leather but do ve vant to use a Badger?"

"Nein! Zat ist nicht in Ordnung! Vat is mit Zes Crazy Englanders!"

"Hans, machen ze delivery delayed...zat will teach him"

'Ya Chef...wird gemacht!"

Well my sales guy said the badges come off easy when new, after a while and a bit more sun they do become harder to get off. I'll trust them not to mess the paint job up, failing that I've a detailer on the street who will sort it for me.

You do notice a difference in how people drive depending on if your car is badged or not when it's one of the faster ones. So many people with their 1 litre Ford's / Corsa's see the M5 and want to race me You can see the minute they notice the badge their driving changes completely.

Even with a 330d back as my first BMW it made a bit of a difference when a few people noticed it. I had the 335d de-badged and no problems. It was infact nice to shock people on occasions with something more powerful than they were expecting.

I left the badge on my M5 as it seemed rude to remove that. However with hindsight I'd probably should have de-badged it as well. Ultimately I know what it is which is all what matters.

I'd have to get rid of the V12's on the side as I just don't like those. I'm not a fan of the little M's on the front wings either you get on an M Sport. It was the rear of the car that was playing with me. On the M760Li the badged are in Cerium Grey which looks that little bit cooler. Most wouldn't know what it is but I suspect it still might get some people wanting to race because it's got an M badge there.

Quote:
Order update

Can't resist checking!
Wow, how often are you checking? I was only doing it once a week on Monday as any more felt like it might be too much but your like daily? Hehe.

I spoke to my dealer today about the badges but as I could chase it online I'd not spoken to him really. Wasn't much need as easier to get it online. Though I do find the BMW Genius's are quite often busy and no one to speak to, that must be 325_bucks keeping one of them on the line constantly to get updates
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #173
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You do notice a difference in how people drive depending on if your car is badged or not when it's one of the faster ones. So many people with their 1 litre Ford's / Corsa's see the M5 and want to race me You can see the minute they notice the badge their driving changes completely.
Completely agree. Having the current one debadged was the best thing. Everyone just thinks it is a small engine 5 so leave me alone unless they have an issue with BMW's in general. Only the keen eyed note the subtle differences to the new 5 or realise that the new 5 wasn't available like this in a 16 reg.

As beautiful as the M760Li badge is, I'd remove it personally, as you say, you know what it is and that is all that counts. You'll get a lot less hassle if you do (both for stealing or for boy racer moments). Besides, the keen eyed will definitely note the exhaust pipes are different and only available on the 760...

Quote:
Wow, how often are you checking? I was only doing it once a week on Monday as any more felt like it might be too much but your like daily? Hehe.

I spoke to my dealer today about the badges but as I could chase it online I'd not spoken to him really. Wasn't much need as easier to get it online. Though I do find the BMW Genius's are quite often busy and no one to speak to, that must be 325_bucks keeping one of them on the line constantly to get updates
What! You do realise the deliveries are on a click basis, don't you?

One does wonder if they have an algorithm for checking how often one clicks on updates!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #174
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What! You do realise the deliveries are on a click basis, don't you?

One does wonder if they have an algorithm for checking how often one clicks on updates!
The sad thing is I believe they have an order tracking system available in the US because they are required to be law. Why they don't roll that out to the rest of the world because ultimately if it saves us hassling dealers or their online people it'll pay for the deployment of it in no time.

Had something similar for another customer where the UK and US branches of this business were different companies. So trade under the same brand but they both build their own IT systems completely separately. If they chipped into a joint IT budget for where there's cross over of which there is a lot they could something better for less cost. Makes no real sense to me but they simply don't interact at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #175
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well my sales guy said the badges come off easy when new, after a while and a bit more sun they do become harder to get off. I'll trust them not to mess the paint job up, failing that I've a detailer on the street who will sort it for me.

Even with a 330d back as my first BMW it made a bit of a difference when a few people noticed it. I had the 335d de-badged and no problems. It was infact nice to shock people on occasions with something more powerful than they were expecting.

I left the badge on my M5 as it seemed rude to remove that. However with hindsight I'd probably should have de-badged it as well. Ultimately I know what it is which is all what matters.

I'd have to get rid of the V12's on the side as I just don't like those. I'm not a fan of the little M's on the front wings either you get on an M Sport. It was the rear of the car that was playing with me. On the M760Li the badged are in Cerium Grey which looks that little bit cooler. Most wouldn't know what it is but I suspect it still might get some people wanting to race because it's got an M badge there.

Ive been checking once a day, doesn't take 2 mins to hat to get an update. Since it moved to assembly I've been checking twice a day as I know how quickly it moves
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #176
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ive been checking once a day, doesn't take 2 mins to hat to get an update. Since it moved to assembly I've been checking twice a day as I know how quickly it moves
True doesn’t take long. Something tells me your extremely excited.

Think if they are finishing my car mid March they’ll likely start building if start of March roughly. Think they take a couple of weeks roughly.
Appreciate 0