BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

7 Series Launch Event

I was fortunate enough to be invited to the 7 Series launch event in San Diego last week. I am a big BMW fanatic having owned most of the lineup over the last four years including e90 M3, F3x in both sedan and convertible setups, M4, X5, M5 and 750Li. I was curious about the new 7 and was considering if I wanted to go back to something that big. Most of my driving is back and forth to the airport for work so my M4 does not get exercised very often. Most of the time I just drive my GMC truck around.

Anyway back to the event and the car. I really did not know what to expect. As we drove up there were 7-10 new 750's in various configurations from M Sport to Individual. I have seen a few standard 740's in person at the dealership already and the M Sport looks even better. What surprised me is how much I liked the Individual setups visually. We parked and walked over to what we thought was registration. There was another 750 on the grass in a beautiful dark blue over caramel configuration that we check out before getting into line. Nearby were two people taking information on iPads so we got inline and then gave our information. To our surprise as soon as we finished he walked us over to "our" car, asked if we knew the roads locally, then said have fun and be back in a few hours. He also offered to answer any questions we had before we left and then we were off!

First impression was that it felt a lot more luxurious inside than my previous M Sport 750Li going from memory. After getting things dialed in to our preferences we were off. We drove around for about 45 minutes trying various configurations and playing with all the technology toys. I actually really liked the gesture controls after thinking it was just a gimmick prior to my experience. We also tried the various driver assistance aids. Most of them I turned off and the one thing I did not get to try was the self driving function. I also played with the key a little. Overall I thought that was more of a gimmick and the size of it was too much if you carry your key in your pocket. My impression was very positive, but I am not sure that I am ready to go back to something that big yet as my daily driver. As a 3rd car I would not hesitate (truck, sports car, luxury car) but with 5 vehicles right now including my kids cars there just isn't space. I only took a few pics, but here is what I have.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Great photos, man! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you've got quite the stable of cars, and are doing the right thing by passing on this latest 7. My situation, however, is different (which is why I appreciate the review and perspective). I drive a 2012 F02 740Li (took delivery in Sept 2011 in Munich) and now have over 102,500 miles on the car. It's time to look for a replacement, and the new G12 7 is going to be it. Again, thanks for posting.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0