BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

My 7 series weekend experience - Long write up

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
This weekend was a very memorable one for me because I was invited by BMW Canada to participate in the new G11 7 Series Weekend Experience. First off I would like to thank BMW Canada, Mike Chow and Malcolm McGann (both from BMW Gallery of Calgary, AB) for giving me the opportunity to drive the 7 series.

The weekend experience consist of driving the 7 series from the Friday evening (Nov 20) till Monday evening (Nov 23). At first I thought it was just a drive but BMW Canada threw in a big surprise (please read till the end to see what it is).

Here is my review and pictures. I am not a professional auto journalist or photographer so please excuse this amateur if the write up and pictures are not up to par. Also I could go on forever talking about this car but I will try to keep it simple so you don't get bored. I will not mention anything about the competition because I did not drive them for comparison.

The car:
2016 BMW 750i xdrive M-Sport, Singapore Grey Metallic on Cognac Extended Nappa Leather and Fineline Black Wood Trim.

MSRP $113,900
As-tested $136,512 before taxes (I was not provided with full specs of the car so this is going by what I believe to be option packages from BMW Canada)
Packages: Executive, Dynamic Handling, Driver Assistance
Options: Bowers & Wilkins Surround Sound System

Exterior:
Pictures does not do this car justice. Personally when I first saw pictures of the 7 series I was a bit disappointed. It looks more like a face lift especially in the rear. However I had an opportunity to view the unveiling at BMW Gallery and it instantly changed my mind. This car is mean, wide and has so much road presence especially the front where the headlights meet the grill. This design language along with the beautiful body lines is exactly what the 7 needs. Understated elegance and power at the same time. I don't know how the designers do it but well done. Is this a beautiful car? Well this depends on the person viewing it. I personally believe it is. In this shade of grey you can fly under the radar but yet you are driving/riding in probably one of the most technologically advanced automobile in the world.

Talking about color BMW makes some excellent shades. In direct sunlight the color has a bit of imperial blue shade mixed with grey. Night time with low light changes to dark grey almost black look. This paired with beautiful LED running lights and powerful headlamps change the character of the car. It is the Darth Vader of luxury sedan. Following the side of the car you will notice illuminated door handles as well as the welcome "carpet" then flowing to the rear lights giving the trade mark BMW L-shaped tail lights.

20" M Double-spoke alloys fills out the wheel wells nicely however because this is xdrive the car does sit a bit higher for my taste. Surprisingly the vehicle came equipped with Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT summer performance tires. I was hoping it would be on winter tires. I should point out where I live November weather can fluctuate quickly even between day and night. However this did not create any issues because I was lucky to have some warm weather.

Interior:
This is where I feel BMW has really stepped up compared to the F series 7. It is miles ahead with excellent quality materials everywhere. No where in the cabin did I find cheap plastics. The buttons for all the controls must be made from aluminium (correct me if I am wrong here) because they feel like the real deal. Alcantara roof liner adds to the richness of the cabin. Paired with Cognac Extended Nappa Leather created quite nice contrast. Interior is a looker for sure with diamond shaped stitching and thick piping and seats that are very comfortable for the long journeys. Ambient lighting with many different shades/combination of color was a nice touch. Illuminated Bowers & Wilkins speakers made the interior look like a space ship with the way the LED's are placed inside the speakers. My passengers had a blast with the tablet in the rear seats. Whatever controls I had up front they could also do the same in the back. One thing that was missing in the back is heated seats which was quite odd considering you can get it in lesser BMW's. I do not believe it is even offered in the standard wheel base version.

Driver seat is where the action is. With typical BMW instrumentation and a driver focused centre console everything is right where you need it. The LCD gauge cluster has great clarity and visibility all round was very good. One thing that I should point out is a weak heated steering wheel. It does not get warm enough. Not sure if it is just for this vehicle or if this is a common problem. Maybe actual owners can chime in.

Bowers & Wilkins sound system is worth the extra $4,900. I have listened to the previous B&O system while that was pretty good this just at a different level in terms of sound quality. I am going to guess BMW and B&W will work together so that this system can trickle down to other BMW's.

The Drive:
This is perhaps the biggest surprise of the car. I would never have thought a full size luxury sedan that can carry 5 people in complete comfort and chauffeur VIP's be able to handle the way it does. BMW seems to have a way of injecting sportiness into all their vehicles and the 7 is no exception. I am not saying this is handles like M cars but it is fascinating how a car that weighs over 2 ton can corner like this. This is a big car no question but it drives so much smaller especially at speed. Put the car in sport mode and it makes cornering a breeze, no drama just point and go. I have heard many journalist complain about electric steering, yes it does not have the old school BMW steering feel but really who drives a 7 series to the track and want to feel every pebble on the road. I think for what the car is it is just right. When you drive a 7 you should feel relaxed and get to your destination in pure comfort. That is what the 7 is about. If you are looking for sports car levels then this is the wrong car. You can move on.

I took the car on an extended road trip. When I say extended I mean about 1 hour out of town on the highway in the middle of the night. This is where the car shines leave everything into comfort and just go. I was wrapped in comfort and knowing the car will protect me I did not want to stop until I ran out of fuel. I speculate BMW must've taken a page or two from Rolls Royce.

Technology:
This is the biggest leap forward compared to the F series. The structure of the chassis mixing carbon, aluminium, high strength steel, magnesium etc has really shown through the driving experience. The BMW i program investments are starting to come to the mainstream BMW. I believe BMW took the right direction in adding lightness to their vehicles. I have not doubt spending billions on the i program will pay off handsomely for them.

There is just so much technology in this car that quite frankly I did not play around with all of them because there is a big learning curve that only spending 3 days in the 7 is just not enough. I hope BMW Canada will lend me the car for at least 6 months to do a full analysis

Camera system on this car is nuts you can actually view the car as if you are standing next to it to see if there are obstacles. Not sure how they did it but wow. I also like he fact that I can choose between different viewing angles to suit the situation.

This is my first experience with adaptive cruise control. All I can say is I am sold on this technology. I never would've thought I needed it because what's the point of using technology to drive for you. Mind you this is not fully autonomous but we are only a couple steps away from this. I am really looking forward to it. As of now this car can pretty much drive itself.

Conclusion:
The 7 series has always been the pinnacle and rolling showcase of what BMW is capable of and this is no exception. If this is the future of BMW I will welcome it with open arms. Overall it is a fantastic car to drive with loads of technology that will probably take me some time to get used to. I have never felt that I need or even want a 7 but I think there may be a chance in the future to owning one.

Thank you BMW Gallery and BMW Canada for an excellent weekend that myself and guest will not forget.

The Surprise:
In addition to driving the car for the weekend BMW Canada included a complimentary dinner for myself and 5 guest. An executive chef came over and cooked us a really fantastic dinner (thank you Miles). Food, service and atmosphere was excellent.

Another surprise was the Johnnie Walker tasting experience. I do not know much about the brand but Rob (Johnnie Walker rep) was kind enough to come over and show us the difference between Red, Black & Blue label. It was quite an eye opener for all of us.

Disclaimer: Please do not think I am a spokes person for BMW. I am a normal person that just like everyone on this board is a car enthusiast.
Attached Images

Last edited by E92LNGCGY; 11-24-2015 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 6
      11-24-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
HS
Registered
Rep
Drives: Soon..

lovely write up.

BTW, judging from the pictures and the way you described the colour, i would say this is Singapore grey..not Magellan grey.

thanks for the review.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS View Post
lovely write up.

BTW, judging from the pictures and the way you described the colour, i would say this is Singapore grey..not Magellan grey.

thanks for the review.
Thats not Magellan Grey.
      11-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS View Post
lovely write up.

thanks for the review.
Thanks for the correction.
Appreciate 2
      11-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Excellent review! Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective (and photos!) with us.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Not bad... Thanks for sharing. Looks like a "complete evening and experience".
      12-06-2015, 01:56 AM   #7
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Amazing car, but I don't think the Jonnie Walker and the car mix well. Someone out there could take it as drunk driving. :/

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #8
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Ideal color combo. Definitely sits a little bit high though.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
That is probably not the lowered position. You can lower it a bit with a press of a button.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #10
mike@Vossen
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
raddy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535d xDrive

Very nice!!

This pic

2019 BMW X3 3.0. xLine, Black on Black
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 04:44 AM   #12
adimfx
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper

That is a very nice interior!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 12:57 AM   #13
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW (F10) 528i Xdrive

Garage List
Hey neighbor, Very nice write-up and nice photos.
Are you buying one?

2012 528i XDrive Alpine white
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #14
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaman View Post
Hey neighbor, Very nice write-up and nice photos.
Are you buying one?
No I am not. Depreciation is crazy on a new one. I am looking for another M or P car now.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #15
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
That is probably not the lowered position. You can lower it a bit with a press of a button.
By how much?

One reason I have never liked BMW's X-drives has been the "hiked" up look.

-Bond
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #16
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Great review! I also got a similar invite from BMWNA except for the i8. Do you know if they use the local dealers car or is it supplied by BMW?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #17
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
Great review! I also got a similar invite from BMWNA except for the i8. Do you know if they use the local dealers car or is it supplied by BMW?
i8? Really? Wow that's awesome. I assume you accepted the opportunity?

The cars used were all BMW Canada corporate vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #18
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
By how much?

One reason I have never liked BMW's X-drives has been the "hiked" up look.

-Bond
I don't know by how much but I would estimate a few centimeters.
At speed the car lowers itself to reduce drag.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #19
professor_yo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Amazing car, but I don't think the Jonnie Walker and the car mix well. Someone out there could take it as drunk driving. :/
Don't worry...he said the car was basically autonomous. So he didn't "really" drive home.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #20
professor_yo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Seriously???
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #21
Lt1camaro
Lieutenant
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3

So how can I get in on one of these BMW Canada experience drives?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #22
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Great write up. Thanks for sharing your experience - you certainly are fortunate to have been chosen for this event. While I don't believe I'll ever buy a 7 series (check back with me in 20 years), that is a beautiful interior. It reminds my of my E39 M5, which is Sterling gray, caramel interior with full leather and alcantara headliner. Of course, I have NONE of the tech in my M5.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0