BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Exclamation First official new 7 Series details: CFRP, touch display, gestures, remote parking

BIMMERPOST NEWS
First official BMW 7 Series technology details announced
COMMENTS

BMW is using a technology and innovation workshop to present an initial selection of development highlights which the next generation of the BMW 7 Series model range will use to set new benchmarks in lightweight design, driving dynamics, comfort, intelligent connectivity and operation. The extensive use of carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP) in the structure of the passenger cell, the rigorous and detailed application of lightweight design and a new generation of engines combine to reduce the weight of the luxury sedan along with its fuel consumption and emissions figures. The comfort, safety and driving experience offered by the new BMW 7 Series benefit from new chassis technology, exceptional scope for interaction with the car’s infotainment technology and a wider selection of driver assistance systems from BMW ConnectedDrive.

BMW EfficientLightweight: Carbon Core helps to reduce weight by up to 130 kilograms (286 pounds).

Thanks to the BMW EfficientLightweight strategy, the new BMW 7 Series line-up will tip the scales up to 130 kilograms (286 pounds) lighter than the outgoing generation of models. At its heart is a body structure with a Carbon Core based on the transfer of technology from the development of the BMW i models. The use of CFRP – whose material properties lend themselves to use in the passenger cell areas exposed to heavy loads – increases torsional rigidity and strength. The configuration of the sheet metal elements can be adjusted accordingly, allowing body weight to be significantly reduced.

BMW 7 Series Construction

Six-cylinder in-line engine from the new generation of power units.

The new BMW 7 Series model range will be powered by engines including a six-cylinder in-line variant from the BMW Group’s latest generation of power units. The new petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology links up with a likewise further developed eight-speed Steptronic gearbox.

Dynamics and ride comfort made to measure – and to the highest standard.

Sophisticated, precision-honed chassis technology and additional chassis control systems – fitted as standard or available as an option – enhance both the driving dynamics of the next-generation BMW 7 Series and its ride quality. At the same time, the balance between these two facets of driving pleasure reaches a level without parallel in the luxury sedan segment. The inclusion of two-axle air suspension with automatic self-levelling as part of the standard specification leads to noticeably improved ride comfort. Dynamic Damper Control also features as standard. Its electronically controlled dampers improve the primary and secondary ride of the sedan and sharpen its dynamic attributes. The latest update of the Integral Active Steering system, along with the first electromechanically driven Dynamic Drive roll stabilisation system, contribute to a further boost in comfort, dynamic prowess and assurance on the road in the new BMW 7 Series.

The latest innovations offer drivers greater freedom when choosing the right vehicle set-up for the situation at hand: they can elect to enjoy even sportier handling or further optimised ride comfort as desired. In addition, they can use the newly designed Driving Experience Control switch to activate the ADAPTIVE mode. In this setting, the vehicle set-up adapts as required to the driving style and the character of the road.

BMW 7 Series (G11/G12)

Intuitive operating with Touch Display and BMW gesture control.

In the next generation of the BMW 7 Series, the iDrive operating system’s monitor comes in Touch Display form for the first time. This means customers will also be able to operate the system in the same way as modern electronic devices. In addition to using the Controller to operate the system in familiar style, its functions can also be selected and activated by touching the screen’s surface.

Another new addition to the iDrive system’s functionality is BMW gesture control, which is being introduced for the first time. Hand movements detected by a 3D sensor control infotainment functions in an extremely intuitive and user-friendly fashion. The gestures can be used for a number of functions, including controlling the volume in audio applications and accepting or rejecting incoming telephone calls. There is also the option of pairing a specific gesture with an individual choice of function.

BMW 7 Series Touch Display and Gesture Control

Unique in the luxury sedan segment: remote control parking.

The new BMW 7 Series is the world’s first series-produced car that owners will be able to manoeuvre in or out of parking spaces or garages without anyone at the wheel. The remote control parking option thus allows drivers to access extremely tight parking spaces. Using the likewise newly developed BMW Display Key, the driver can prompt the car to enter or exit a parking space fully automatically.

BMW 7 Series Remote Parking

Innovative driver assistance systems from BMW ConnectedDrive enhance comfort and safety.

New strings to the bows of the Driving Assistant Plus and Driving Assistant systems include the steering and directional control assistant, Lane Departure Warning Assistant with active side collision protection, and the rear collision prevention and cross-traffic warning functions. When using the Active Cruise Control system with Stop & Go function, a press of a button now suffices to acknowledge speed restrictions detected by the Speed Limit Info function.

Appreciate 5
      04-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
Tisaksen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3cs

Wow! Next level stuff. Hopefully enough to keep up with the new S class
Appreciate 3
      04-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
bmwjpn
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2013 F06

Looking pretty cool - now show the car in M Sport!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

300 pounds. Yes that is the equivalent of one (big) friend but they have been holding out the carrot of huge weight savings using CFRP for a long time. Looks like on the top of the line BMW that cost is still a limiting factor and saving weight from the heaviest line is still tough. This is not an achievement in engineering that anyone is running around the room giving high 5s about. 300 pounds on that pig. Come on; grandpa needs a lighter 7 series than that.
      04-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Jai 302
Banned
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

This new 7er is a better car period. S-class has some technological catching up to do. Sales wise it might not beat the S-class because older people prefer Mercedes but who cares what other people buy?

This car is made out of carbon fiber and it CAN PARK ITSELF!!! The worst nightmare about living in a city is parking. Everyone has perforated leather massage seats and perfumed AC but nobody makes a luxury sedan that parks itself. Haters gonna hate. Go BMW!
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #6
Tisaksen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisaksen View Post
Wow! Next level stuff. Hopefully enough to keep up with the new S class
This new 7er is a better car period. S-class has some technological catching up to do. Sales wise it might not beat the S-class because older people prefer Mercedes but who cares what other people buy?

This car is made out of carbon fiber and it CAN PARK ITSELF!!! The worst nightmare about living in a city is parking. Everyone has perforated leather massage seats and perfumed AC but nobody makes a luxury sedan that parks itself. Haters gonna hate. Go BMW!
You're right. Can't wait to see it in person!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

i dont want to even know the cost to repair after an accident!
      04-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Gesture control looks to be pretty useless

Waving around with hands while you should be driving
Whats wrong with the steering wheel buttons to accept calls, regulate volume and so on? This way the hands are still on the steering wheel.

Also how does the camera differentiate between intentional commands and simple waving for example by the passenger who is telling a story and waving with his hands?

Also automatic braking, not only coasting at the next speed sign might be dangerous, nobody does that and nobody experts people braking to be on the same speed AT the sign...
Good luck with that on the Autobahn, driving 160kph+ and then slowing down to 100 or 80 before the actual sign

The only nice and "new" thing is the automatic parking, thats something that is really useful and something I would also like to have to park in spots where getting in/out of the car might get tricky.

Last edited by Ganxxta; 04-18-2015 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
BetoVera
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302

I really hope you're getting paid for this post
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #10
fndrsn
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Nothing...yet!

Exciting stuff! The volume up/down gesture looks pretty silly and useless but I guess they had to make it deliberate so the sound system doesn't go nuts all the time. Kind of a small detail but the new buttons around the iDrive controller look really nice!! That self parking feature also looks really cool, being able to line your car up with a narrow spot, get out, and let it do the rest is something a lot of drivers in places like NL could use haha, can't wait for the official reveal of this thing!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I find a lot of those technologies and features to be rather silly, but the focus on lightweight materials and construction methods is awesome. I'm looking forward to all that trickling down to the rest of the upcoming lineup in the G- generation.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302 View Post

I Totally agree. Everything from the touchscreen hand gesture infotainment system to the loss of 130 Kg will make this the ultimate driving machine with a luxury edge to it. I bet this will steal S Class sales
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #13
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 430i GC

I can't wait to see this car in final production form. The carbon fiber-intensive design and the new tech makes this the first 7er in excited about!
2003 330xi (Forever in my heart )
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:55 PM   #14
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:

Umm, dude! What are you smoking? Or what drugs are you on? Or are you one of those utter BMW fanboys? BMW is playing catch up. The new S class is almost 300 lbs lighter than the previous S class without CFRP, though it would be interesting to see the weight comparison between the new 7 and the S. The S can park itself, drive itself, has magic body control and what not. It also is already available as a S63 AMG and S65 AMG, which BMW most likely will not be able to compete with.

As for age demographics, old people also buy the 7 series as much as the A8 and the S class, but probably more buy the S class because it is way more luxurious and more of a status symbol than the 7 among other factors.

This gesture control sort of makes it look as if you're trying to get rid of annoying flies.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Hmmm. A bit disappointed here.

I love the new iDrive.

However:

- Drivers assistance seems weak compared with the Mercedes system which can actually steer the car. The BMW system is more lane departure prevention which is not new and unfortunately let's the car drift very close to the line rather than actively steering it in the center of the lane.

- Weight savings are also small. @scott26 said 200kilos. This article is saying 136 kilos. I think Scott has been bullshitting us for a while with hype. 136 kilo weight reduction seems incremental. I was expecting CFRP to change the game.

Will stay tuned though. Not ruling out buying one but at this point I can't say I won't get a Benz instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Now I really think bmw will make the M7 to compete with the S63 amg.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #17
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
I don't think we will be able to actually judge the car until it's released and people try it. With every new model comes scrutiny until it's officially released.

Definitely excited to see the new model come out, I think BMW knows what they need to do to get ahead of the game. I don't think they'd release something that's stagnant knowing the next version won't be out for 7 years (lci doesn't count).

I'm just gonna sit tight and wait, see what it's really about.

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #18
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post

I love the new iDrive.

However:

- Drivers assistance seems weak compared with the Mercedes system which can actually steer the car. The BMW system is more lane departure prevention which is not new and unfortunately let's the car drift very close to the line rather than actively steering it in the center of the lane.

- Weight savings are also small. @scott26 said 200kilos. This article is saying 136 kilos. I think Scott has been bullshitting us for a while with hype. 136 kilo weight reduction seems incremental. I was expecting CFRP to change the game.

Will stay tuned though. Not ruling out buying one but at this point I can't say I won't get a Benz instead.

whats there to be dissapointed about? this 7 is on some James bond sh*t its crazy. I have a good feeling a M770i or an M7 will be made this time hopefully

Last edited by YungDro; 04-17-2015 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #19
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:

+1

theres still loads more to be revealed can't wait to see the M sport version think thats what everyone is waiting for
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #20
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
Umm, dude! What are you smoking? Or what drugs are you on? Or are you one of those utter BMW fanboys? BMW is playing catch up. The new S class is almost 300 lbs lighter than the previous S class without CFRP, though it would be interesting to see the weight comparison between the new 7 and the S. The S can park itself, drive itself, has magic body control and what not. It also is already available as a S63 AMG and S65 AMG, which BMW most likely will not be able to compete with.

As for age demographics, old people also buy the 7 series as much as the A8 and the S class, but probably more buy the S class because it is way more luxurious and more of a status symbol than the 7 among other factors.

This gesture control sort of makes it look as if you're trying to get rid of annoying flies.
butthurt merc fanboy spotted! what he said was true, he never said anything bad about the S class. Alot of people also hate the S class but it doesnt mean its bad.. its a good car too.. you merc fans cry too much its so embarrasing
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #21
cs4444
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post

I love the new iDrive.

However:

The weight of the body HAS been reduced by over 200kg, but as another articles has stated some is offset but the addition of new technologies...like 4 wheel steering. Regardless the new 740 will weigh 1715kg, which is similar to the current 535, and is over 250lbs lighter than an A8 or S class with a similar engine which is impressive. Also it's important to note a lot of the weight has been taken from the top of the vehicle which will lower the center of gravity significantly.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 10:13 PM   #22
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
butthurt merc fanboy spotted! what he said was true, he never said anything bad about the S class its a good car too.. you merc fans cry too much its so embarrasing

Not a Merc fan. Never owned one. We have a bunch of BMWs in our family, one of them being a 760Li. I'm just not excited about this car. Nothing ground breaking in terms of design.
Appreciate 0