BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

06-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Collision Warning Button - Graphics Change

I just wanted to post this to confirm my suspicion.
Does the 2nd button on each of these images do the same thing?

I have found that sellers (even BMW dealers) don't know what options cars have, so I am learning to spot the subtle buttons and things to know what it has without having to do a vin decode. BTW, my wife thinks I am crazy that I can point out a cars options while walking thru a parking lot
I especially love when someone lists it as "Every option available" and that entire button row is missing

Thanks all
Matt
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM
I just wanted to post this to confirm my suspicion.
Does the 2nd button on each of these images do the same thing?

I have found that sellers (even BMW dealers) don't know what options cars have, so I am learning to spot the subtle buttons and things to know what it has without having to do a vin decode. BTW, my wife thinks I am crazy that I can point out a cars options while walking thru a parking lot
I especially love when someone lists it as "Every option available" and that entire button row is missing

Thanks all
Matt
There are two types of frontal collision detection. The superior one uses the a camera and Active Cruise sensor. The inferior one uses the camera only with city braking.

By inferior, I mean relative to the superior. I don't mean shoddy.

However, the frontal collision that uses the camera can only brake at reduced speed.

Yes, this confusion is awful. As these systems are both good but markedly different.

My 7 has the superior collision detection and it's already paid for itself. I was driving and got distracted and the system stopped my car from hitting the car in front of me. A witness to the incident's jaw was agape, as he couldn't figure out how I stopped in time.

Yet. This confusion is serious. My wife got new x3 with the inferior collision detection. She thought it was like mine in my 7 and she nearly killed herself as she tried testing the system out. (I never would think to test this out, so my wife surprised me here.)

Anyway, my wife had a complete misapprehension as to how the system worked.

BMW should just offer one collision system. The superior system has proved itself to save accidents. If BMW used the high end AC sensor in all cars, the cost would come down to camera only levels.

I think your #2 pic represents camera only with city braking.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 02:23 AM   #3
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750xi ///M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
There are two types of frontal collision detection. The superior one uses the a camera and Active Cruise sensor. The inferior one uses the camera only with city braking.

By inferior, I mean relative to the superior. I don't mean shoddy.

However, the frontal collision that uses the camera can only brake at reduced speed.

Yes, this confusion is awful. As these systems are both good but markedly different.

My 7 has the superior collision detection and it's already paid for itself. I was driving and got distracted and the system stopped my car from hitting the car in front of me. A witness to the incident's jaw was agape, as he couldn't figure out how I stopped in time.

Yet. This confusion is serious. My wife got new x3 with the inferior collision detection. She thought it was like mine in my 7 and she nearly killed herself as she tried testing the system out. (I never would think to test this out, so my wife surprised me here.)

Anyway, my wife had a complete misapprehension as to how the system worked.

BMW should just offer one collision system. The superior system has proved itself to save accidents. If BMW used the high end AC sensor in all cars, the cost would come down to camera only levels.

I think your #2 pic represents camera only with city braking.
I want to run with it off as it keeps kicking in when I follow someone so good. I mean, the 7-series is far bigger than any car I've ever driven. I come close at times to hitting a car in front because everything is so quiet and smooth that it's like I'm not even driving anything. Tailgating cars that happen to slow down late for a turn and happen to remain in lane longer than they should as well as getting in and out of parking spots is where the real size shows to matter. I came from a 545i and it was skinny and small enough to be understood but this 750i.. it's a good idea to keep the collision thing on. The brakes ride when the red car thing shows up when I'm following someone too close but 1/4 of the time it becomes important.

I have the #2 one.. I set it to earliest but it still feels like I have to be 3 cars for it to work. I haven't broken passed 2 cars but I wouldn't want to test it. I'm not sure if the brakes engage more but it could be too late to find out.
Appreciate 0