BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-26-2017, 01:56 AM   #23
Orion335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Logically, B7's not the best choice. Emotionally, that's your choice to make.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 02:02 AM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
I think you need to reconsider your tire selection before you consider AWD to be the answer... especially with the little guy in the back.

I'm in Calgary and we also get severe winter weather and there is no way I would consider rolling all-seasons year round... RWD, FWD, or AWD

That being said I'm all for the B7 RS4; a buddy of mine has one and I still love that car. The interior is very dated however.
Plus, this frees you up to use summer performance tires in the non-winter months, which is something everyone should get to enjoy IMO
So true, driving a good car on all seasons is so disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 08:33 AM   #25
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but the R may as well stand for ridiculous, as in ridiculously expensive for even routine maintenance. Last I looked into it tires needed replacing every 5k miles and were not cheap, a timing belt job was like $4k, etc.

For US roads you're fine with an S4. You'll end up paying a lot more for performance that you can't fully enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #26
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

how about an RS3 or and S3 with some mods?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #27
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Thanks for all your feedback everyone, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #28
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
I'm looking at manual only cars, and preferably not a brand new one. I need a break from buying and swapping newer model (2016/17) cars, otherwise my wife will absolutely kill me. Preferably a vehicle that is lower miles, and the bulk of the depreciation has already taken place.
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      07-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

A colleague had an RS4 when I had my Z3 M Coupe. Not much makes a Z3 seem like it has a nice interior, but that generation of A4 just had a super cheap feeling interior and lots of the plastic parts were painted, which wore off very quickly and looks terrible.

It's also a very heavy, 4,000 pound car with the engine completely in front of the front suspension. So it wasn't any faster than my M Coupe, handled poorly, didn't seem to ride any better, but sounded glorious. I'd always try to goad him into flooring it just to hear it. Great sounds.
Appreciate 1
Mr Pete1595.50
      07-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #30
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
A colleague had an RS4 when I had my Z3 M Coupe. Not much makes a Z3 seem like it has a nice interior, but that generation of A4 just had a super cheap feeling interior and lots of the plastic parts were painted, which wore off very quickly and looks terrible.

It's also a very heavy, 4,000 pound car with the engine completely in front of the front suspension. So it wasn't any faster than my M Coupe, handled poorly, didn't seem to ride any better, but sounded glorious. I'd always try to goad him into flooring it just to hear it. Great sounds.
This is what has me so enamored with the car haha I would love to get a E90 M3, but I'd prefer AWD. And, I somehow convinced the boss to let me look at something else, as long as its AWD. She's quite keen on cars, and will instantly notice that an M3 is not AWD. Though I could remove all the M badges from the car...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #31
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDadMobile View Post
Quote:

This is what has me so enamored with the car haha I would love to get a E90 M3, but I'd prefer AWD. And, I somehow convinced the boss to let me look at something else, as long as its AWD. She's quite keen on cars, and will instantly notice that an M3 is not AWD. Though I could remove all the M badges from the car...
The obvious fix is to get the V8 R8. Same motor, but with a dry sump, gated shifter and a wee bit better looking.
Appreciate 1
Dthltm76.00
      07-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #32
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The obvious fix is to get the V8 R8. Same motor, but with a dry sump, gated shifter and a wee bit better looking.
Honey, I just had a brilliant recommendation. I'm getting a R8!

Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      07-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #33
WanaM
Banned
Rep
Drives: Fast and fun M3

I would get a B8 S4 if possible very fun daily for sure. There seems to be a good amount of them available:

https://www.autolist.com/audi-s4#pag...ated_at%3Adesc

It's the most logical choice, good luck with your search!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #34
Jdub679
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe M Sport

I had a B7 RS4, MT. Awesome car. Bravo on your choice.
Appreciate 1
Mr Pete1595.50
      07-26-2017, 03:10 PM   #35
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub679 View Post
I had a B7 RS4, MT. Awesome car. Bravo on your choice.
What did you like, dislike, about the RS4? Do you regret not having it?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #36
Jdub679
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What did you like, dislike, about the RS4? Do you regret not having it?
I loved it actually. As fast and capable a car for daily driving as I've ever had. The ride was great - the dampers are tuned well, so no need for multiple settings like sport, etc like we have with cars today. The engine note was intoxicating. The front brakes were (in my opinion) overkill, but they did their job well. Plenty of space both for passengers (I rarely carried any) and stuff (enormous trunk). All wheel drive pretty much meant that I never ever broke the tires free, even in the rain.

Some people mentioned the interior being dated. While that's generally true, I had the piano black interior trim with Audi Prestige package that had the two color black/red seats. They were sharp.

I never had anything break. I had 1 flat tire due to a nail and with no spare, that meant I had to be towed to a dealer for tire replacement. It didn't seem to drink oil like I've heard with some. Gas was a different story though. When gas prices, were near $4/gallon here, it was a little difficult to stomach.

A very nice Cardiologist from the east coast bought the car from me and from what I understand, he used it successfully as his winter car.
Appreciate 1
Mr Pete1595.50
      07-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #37
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub679 View Post
I loved it actually. As fast and capable a car for daily driving as I've ever had. The ride was great - the dampers are tuned well, so no need for multiple settings like sport, etc like we have with cars today. The engine note was intoxicating. The front brakes were (in my opinion) overkill, but they did their job well. Plenty of space both for passengers (I rarely carried any) and stuff (enormous trunk). All wheel drive pretty much meant that I never ever broke the tires free, even in the rain.

Some people mentioned the interior being dated. While that's generally true, I had the piano black interior trim with Audi Prestige package that had the two color black/red seats. They were sharp.

I never had anything break. I had 1 flat tire due to a nail and with no spare, that meant I had to be towed to a dealer for tire replacement. It didn't seem to drink oil like I've heard with some. Gas was a different story though. When gas prices, were near $4/gallon here, it was a little difficult to stomach.

A very nice Cardiologist from the east coast bought the car from me and from what I understand, he used it successfully as his winter car.
Thanks for your ownership experience feedback! From everything I've read, its a solid car. Considering its a 8-9 year old car, I understand what the cost of ownership will be, as I've looked over the Audizine forums to get an idea.

And with the interior comments. My friend had a B7 A4 he got rid of a few years back, and I didn't think it was that bad. It somewhat reminds me of the E36 interior, which I kind of like.

I haven't had any seat time in a RS4, so I'm excited to drive one tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
Jdub67984.50
      07-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #38
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328 X-Drive

Have fun finding one, i wanted to trade my m3 in for one but could never find anything
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #39
Jdub679
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your ownership experience feedback! From everything I've read, its a solid car. Considering its a 8-9 year old car, I understand what the cost of ownership will be, as I've looked over the Audizine forums to get an idea.

And with the interior comments. My friend had a B7 A4 he got rid of a few years back, and I didn't think it was that bad. It somewhat reminds me of the E36 interior, which I kind of like.

I haven't had any seat time in a RS4, so I'm excited to drive one tomorrow.
It's such an easy revving car. Enjoy the drive!

Let us know what you thought.
Appreciate 1
Mr Pete1595.50
      07-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #40
Jdub679
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFiftyWon View Post
Have fun finding one, i wanted to trade my m3 in for one but could never find anything
They are rare (as far as performance cars go). I got US distribution numbers for my 2008 and it was something like 1200 (or 1500?). Can't quite recall. That's pretty small compared to something like an M3 that you might see 6 of in a single day.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #41
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep

So I got a chance to drive one. It was a higher mileage one, pretty beat up interior. Exterior looked like the previous owner liked to drive through a forest once a week, lots of scratches on paint everywhere.

But holy shit, that engine!!! It pulls so smoothly, exhaust sounds so silky smooth. Gearbox was much smoother than my subaru that's for sure. It's definitely not as fast as my M4, but it was a joy to rev it out. I can't stop thinking about how amazing it sounds. It sounds better than the E92 M3 I test drove a couple years back.

I want one....
Appreciate 1
Jdub67984.50
      07-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #42
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFiftyWon View Post
Finding what, an RS4? They're out there, just not in my state. There are a few in CO, but higher mileage. You have to pay to play to secure a lower mileage one it seems. Im on the hunt.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 01:34 AM   #43
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
I'm looking at manual only cars, and preferably not a brand new one. I need a break from buying and swapping newer model (2016/17) cars, otherwise my wife will absolutely kill me. Preferably a vehicle that is lower miles, and the bulk of the depreciation has already taken place.
#SaveTheManuals
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 05:54 AM   #44
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
So I currently have a 2017 STI that I use as my daily. Its great in the winter on all seasons. And I use it only to go to and from work, unless my son wants to ride in the 'Subaru' haha, so its been a good car to have. Except...the interior cabin noise is too damn loud! Drones like a m'fer at cruising highway speeds, road noise is very audible.

Don't get me wrong, I actually do like the car. But, when my 3 year old son is in the back, I sometimes wonder if there has been any damage to his hearing haha I sometimes feel like my eardrums are pounding after a longer trip. Its just too loud, even after I took apart the trunk lining and placed dynamat in as many of the relevant areas I could cover.

I thought about a Civic Type R, but I'm starting to reconsider, as it may be a bit too 'boy racer-ish' lol. Now, my interest has peaked on a 2007/8 Audi RS4. I almost got a B7 S4 as my daily, but the cam tensioner/timing chain thing scared me away. Apparently the RS4 does not have those issues, though you have the carbon build-up crap to deal with.

My question to you guys: did you, or do you currently, own an Audi RS4? If so, what was your ownership experience like? I've got my eye on a 40k mileage RS4 for $40k (which I think is a bit high, particularly when the last 2008 RS4 with similar mileage sold for ~$30k on bringatrailer). What are your impressions of the car, particularly as a daily driver? I know its a V8, but the fuel cost expense doesn't scare me away.

Thank you all!
*Caveat* - I bought mine new in '06 and sold the car in '08 so it has been a while. It wasn't my DD, but I drove it 16k during my ownership.

Obviously since I had the car before the major issues began to appear, my experience was, well, wonderful. Out of all the cars I've had and are in my stable now, it remains the only car that put a smile on my face every single time. THAT MOTOR when combined with a Milltek Non-Res Exhaust does dirty, dirty things. The day I took delivery, 2 of my neighbors including Tony Kanaan went and purchased the two demo units for themselves.

On to the other bits. Besides the Carbon Build-up, look out for the DRC Suspension if it hasn't been swapped for coil-overs. It will leak. The condition of the Carbon Fiber Engine Covers is a good indicator as to what kind of care it has received. If they're green, then someone stored them carefully off the car. If they're red and deformed, the hood probably wasn't opened often.

Rear Seat room is extremely tight due to the US Front Seats. The headrest do not adjust. If you don't need a sunroof, try to find a rare sunroof delete car. It makes a significant difference in handling. '08 introduced the Red Audi Exclusive Interior after my personal persistence for 10 months.

If you need any background info on potential candidates, I still have all my records including the complete history of every US car through at least the original owner. Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Did that (had both at the same time). The R8 (V8 6MT) was a more well rounded car then the Gallardo SE it replaced, but the RS4 just had a very special character to it.
Appreciate 2
Mr Pete1595.50
Jdub67984.50