BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

03-16-2024, 06:54 PM   #1
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

N63 Dinan Coil Packs - are they junk?

rebuilt the 750 into a M7, too much to explain..
but first cyc 5 after a month, was misfiring like crazy. Replaced with new Dinan coil, no issues anymore.
Then today, after breaking in new transmission for the F02, i did the first stop to full throttle pull in M mode, and i get a misfire of Cyc 1 3 5. Sometimes in the past, when i get a misfire, it would say 1 3 5 or other randoms but unless you log all the misfires per cyc, the car is not smart enough to actually tell you which cyc it actually is (i had to do this with cyc 5 replacement, to figure out which one), cause it used to tell me a few each time.

The car has all new BMW injectors, coded, so not likely those.. and because i already replaced one Dinan, i have to wonder if these are just crap and all a scam like most of Dinan's claims.

Any feedback? i am putting the newer Dinan packs in my G12 B7, next week, and I wonder if i am going to have the same damn issues.

Thoughts anyone? Which brand should i go back to? Bosch?

Last edited by JellyStyle; 03-16-2024 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 12:19 PM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Out of curiosity, do you not still have the original OE coils? If you do, as a suggestion, would it be worth putting those back in? If not...exchanging sides?

Odd (no pun intended) that only your odd bank is not firing...and would say that it might be worth looking at your wiring installation again.....

Again, only opinions...since you asked.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 04:21 PM   #3
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep

I'm switching back to the original gear for my ride, picking up Eldor parts instead. Talking about the engine banks, it’s just a left or right thing, with the cylinders all lined up and organized, so there’s no mix-up possible with the wiring—each coil sticks to its own cylinder.

I bet once I swap in the OEM coils, my misfire drama is gone. Then, I'm thinking of having a little fiery fun with these Dinan coils—going to film them burning, email it to Dinan, after I show they’re not all they're hyped up to be.

I also grabbed some OEM's for my G12 too. It's a beast to work on compared to my F02, so I'm not taking any chances.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 04:37 PM   #4
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyStyle View Post
... Talking about the engine banks, it’s just a left or right thing, with the cylinders all lined up and organized, so there’s no mix-up possible with the wiring—each coil sticks to its own cylinder.
I was referring to maybe your ground wires weren't secured....(wires are too short to mix them up...)

...let us know how it goes...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 04:59 PM   #5
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
I was referring to maybe your ground wires weren't secured....(wires are too short to mix them up...)

...let us know how it goes...

Cheers
Yeah, the car runs fine without a full throttle pull—flawless—but once you put it under power and high boost, Dinan chokes. I will report back.
Appreciate 0