BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

02-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Premium Impulse - The BMW 7er LCi.

Premium Impulse
The BMW 7er LCi

With the conversation taking over in regards to the next generation - lighter CFRP intensive BMW 7er.

The current car is approaching mid-life and in the face of an upcoming tech-intensive Mercedes-Benz S-Klasse. The BMW 7er receives it's "Life cycle impulse"or BMW's designation for a makeover.
And to make sure the 7er remains as the S-Klasse's true challenger especially in key markets of tech-intensive luxury sedans such as the US, China and the Middle East.
BMW will introduce a revitalised 7er in a few weeks at the Beijing Autoshow at the end of April. Showcasing not only a fresh new look , the new 7er will also bring a host of new engineering changes as well as technology updates and new engines to increase performance and efficiency.

The new 7er (F01/F02) actually comes with some major engineering updates as well as a refresh to keep the car looking modern and current.
One of which is the application of a Petrol V8 with BMW's patented "Cylinder Dimming" bring emissions down to 199g/ km. Two new diesels in the guise of the TRI-turbo M-Diesel although it wont be a fully fledged M Performance Automobile. And a new entry six Cylinder diesel with 159g/Km emissions.

The Active Hybrid 7 now features the drivetrain from the 5er and 3er Active Hybrid . One major change is the inclusion of BMW's eight-speed automatic transmission and extensive changes have been made to the car's chassis to improve ride comfort and to make the car's steering and overall dynamics more engaging with extensive reconfigured dampers to bring a more sportier drive when engaged in Sport and a more relaxed luxury feel and BMW's ECO PRO setting.

The exterior changes although minimal reveal a fresher look inspired as much by the launch Concept of the Active Hybrid 7 especially in the lower aerodynamics. Full LED headlights become an option and side indicators are now placed higher within the mirror housings.
The rear gets revised rear lights in the internals with more LED technology and a reprofiled rear bumper. New exterior colors and wheel options and a slightly reprofiled M packet as an option.

In the interior in amongst updated settings for iDrive and ConnectedDrive technology. The 7er also gets the option of the Bang and Olufsen Sound system and revised trims and colors for the interior.
      02-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Ok so my question is the back going to be the same as AH Concept.
Mostly concerning the cool exhaust.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Ok so my question is the back going to be the same as AH Concept.
Mostly concerning the cool exhaust.

Some of the lower detail will be familiar. But regular exhaust ports remain.
      02-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Thank you for sharing, Scott. By chance, any additional info w/r/t the Individual Composition or M Sport Package options, cost and whether or not they will be available upon LCI release. I'd love to know whether or not there will be new, revised wheel and bumper designs for each. Otherwise, will Runflat tires still be standarard equipment and/or will there now be a spare tire space under the trunk floor, for the 7er line as a whole(?); which is much desired!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
GT3 RSR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3 RS

Nice! We'll see this soon!

Thank you for posting!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The rear gets revised rear lights in the internals with more LED technology and a reprofiled rear bumper.
Since the F01 was the first model/refresh to get the LED "light tubes", it will be interesting to see how an LCI reinterprets them. Every new model/refresh has followed the same pattern of 2 or 3 LED tubes. This is the first time the light tubes have to get re-interpreted, maybe they'll take more cues from the VED/i8.

And how can there be more LED tech? I thought the entire tail was LED already, as opposed to rear fogs using non-LED bulbs in some cars.

The 7-series uses styling designs that are typically filtered down through the range, I will be curious to see the new rear lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Since the F01 was the first model/refresh to get the LED "light tubes", it will be interesting to see how an LCI reinterprets them. Every new model/refresh has followed the same pattern of 2 or 3 LED tubes. This is the first time the light tubes have to get re-interpreted, maybe they'll take more cues from the VED/i8.

And how can there be more LED tech? I thought the entire tail was LED already, as opposed to rear fogs using non-LED bulbs in some cars.

The 7-series uses styling designs that are typically filtered down through the range, I will be curious to see the new rear lights.
Agreed. Good points, SamS!

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quite a lot of upgrades!
Appreciate 0