BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #23
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I understand that fully. And I hope you are correct, but they are still copying the design of the 911 and passing it off as their own. And Singer like the others is not changing the fact that the car is still a Porsche, they just modifying it. This Yellow Bird does not say Porsche anywhere on it, but it does say RUF.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I'm not sure that any RUF, including the original CTR ever had a Porsche badge left on it.

[img]http://www.ruf-web.co.jp/parts/image...804-11-FQA.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #25
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

I don't get it. $750k for a non-Porsche suped up Porsche that has a race car interior and looks like something from the mid 90s? Something about more money than sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #26
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I'm not sure that any RUF, including the original CTR ever had a Porsche badge left on it.

OK, but at one point most of them had Porsche crests on them and they were removed for RUF ones instead. This car will only ever had RUF badges.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #27
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Quote:

OK, but at one point most of them had Porsche crests on them and they were removed for RUF ones instead. This car will only ever had RUF badges.
RUF does not receive complete cars. Body in white only. So they haven't removed Porsche badges in the past.

They are for all intents and purposes building a Porsche design with modifications and getting all the credit for it, but to be fair, they are assembling the car.

I do not particularly like this car, and would buy a Singer long before this thing, but RUF isn't going to do something to jeopardize their relationship with the mothership. This is blessed. Or it's not and it's gonna be Gemballa Pt 2.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #28
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

This is no different from any other RUF ever built. They are recognized as their own manufacturer and have licensing rights/agreements with Porsche to build all the 911-based vehicles they've ever done.

Not sure what all the confusion is about.
Appreciate 1
buddalun678.00
      03-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #29
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaze3 View Post
..and the obligatory original RUF Yellowbird on the 'Ring. Still is my all time favorite video.

The title of that video should be "Ruf Around the Edges".

(Yeah, I know: It's pronounced 'roof'. I don't care.)

Glorious.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #30
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post

Not sure what all the confusion is about.
You and I both!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #31
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
RUF does not receive complete cars. Body in white only. So they haven't removed Porsche badges in the past.

They are for all intents and purposes building a Porsche design with modifications and getting all the credit for it, but to be fair, they are assembling the car.
twin fed Red Bread is correct ... and IIRC, those who've seen Rufs with Porsche badging on them are correct, too.

Ruf builds self-branded cars using the body-in-white model; that's where most of its reputation comes from. It also has businesses that tune and modify existing Porsches, as well as restores, repairs, and services older models.

Also: Ruf is considered an independent vehicle manufacturer by the German government, so there is no legal issue until that designation goes away, which is unlikely. The relationship is quite symbiotic, just as the one between BMW and Alpina is. Just because it builds cars from the ground up that look like something we all recognize doesn't mean that it isn't a totally different car, in much the same way that, say, a Lotus with a Toyota Celica GT-S drivetrain isn't going to be considered a Toyota by anyone.
Appreciate 1
buddalun678.00
      03-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #32
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks Viffermike , totally forgot about Porsches with RUF tuning, not just stand alone RUF cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #33
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

The fact that RUF is a manufacturer has no bearing on this conversation. RUF bought those bodies in white from PORSCHE, they did not produce them on their own and they are not claiming to be original designs, like this car. This car has zero affiliation with PORSCHE. They copied a design plain and simple and put their name on it, I don't care hoe symbiotic your relationship is this is a stolen design. Has anyone actually confirmed that PORSCHE allowed them to do this or is it just speculation. I never said that RUF was in any kind of trouble with PORSCHE, I just said that they possibly could be.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #34
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
RUF bought those bodies in white from PORSCHE, they did not produce them on their own and they are not claiming to be original designs, like this car. This car has zero affiliation with PORSCHE. They copied a design plain and simple and put their name on it, Has anyone actually confirmed that PORSCHE allowed them to do this or is it just speculation. I never said that RUF was in any kind of trouble with PORSCHE, I just said that they possibly could be.
Caterham continues to build Lotus 7's. This isn't a new sort of thing. The CTR looks like a car that was last built in 1994, I think we're all good here.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      03-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #35
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The fact that RUF is a manufacturer has no bearing on this conversation. RUF bought those bodies in white from PORSCHE, they did not produce them on their own and they are not claiming to be original designs, like this car. This car has zero affiliation with PORSCHE. They copied a design plain and simple and put their name on it, I don't care hoe symbiotic your relationship is this is a stolen design. Has anyone actually confirmed that PORSCHE allowed them to do this or is it just speculation. I never said that RUF was in any kind of trouble with PORSCHE, I just said that they possibly could be.
Then sue 'em. And rots of ruck with all that, even with a bag of chips. You plainly don't understand German automotive history and have little respect for the laws of a country other than the one you live in.

Let. It. GO.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #36
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Or did they copy the VW beatle?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #37
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Or did they copy the VW beatle?
Breaking News! Daimler is launching patent infringement suits against every other car manufacturer for taking their idea of the Benz Patent Motor Car. Especially you, RUF, especially you.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      03-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #38
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

News Flash....****CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!*** Dinosaurs are suing for the use of their bodies as fossil fuels.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      03-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #39
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Dont like the all alcantara interior
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #40
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Not at all, Ruf get bare chassis from Porsche, straight from the body shop then they build a Ruf from it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #41
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Caterham continues to build Lotus 7's. This isn't a new sort of thing. The CTR looks like a car that was last built in 1994, I think we're all good here.
To be fair Caterham bought the design from Lotus and continued production. Ruf was working with Porsche to buy the 911 production line when Porsche were serious about phasing out the 911 for the 924/928.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #42
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
Quote:
To be fair Caterham bought the design from Lotus and continued production. Ruf was working with Porsche to buy the 911 production line when Porsche were serious about phasing out the 911 for the 924/928.
Aka when drugs really hit Weissach.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #43
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

I’ll think you’ll also find the copywriter on that design is long expired, I would assume that they probably informed Porsche well ahead of release what they were planning.

There’s a guy in NZ Rod Tempero who will build you an exact nut to the last but and bold replica of pretty much any pre 1970’s Italian or British sports car, the manufacturers don’t appear to have a problem with that either, even Ferrari who clamp down on anyone haven’t done anything, www.rodtempero.com
Appreciate 0