BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #67
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

I don't ride but I love bikes and have respect with anyone who dares ride them on the streets. I make way every time and is always on a look out for them. I love ones with super loud MF exhausts. They not only tell me to make way but they scare the shit out of me. One thing I hate though is bikers who use the streets to do stunts and then they get pissy when car drivers get upset about it also ones who tries to dart in between cars at 80 mph during bumper to bumper traffic. I get it, you have the right to go in between cars but please do it in a safe manner. Defensive driving goes both ways.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #68
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Late to the party on this thread; Beartato inadvertently brought me to this thread. I feel like I need to comment.

As a motorcyclist for 33 years on the street and more than 150,000 miles under my butt, plus 6 years of dirtbike experience before that, the rider (I'll not call him a motorcyclist) is completely at fault here. He was either not paying attention, or completely sucks as a rider. He had plenty of time to slow enough not to hit the Camry or avoid hitting the Camry by taking the exit between the Camry and the barrier on the left. The rider didn't even brake to slow down. He was not paying attention to any of the traffic in the other lanes, nor was he watching where he was going.

Like zx10guy said, when your are a motorcyclist it doesn't matter who made the illegal move, because being on a motorcycle, you always lose.

I re-looked at the vid, the left exit was too closed up, but he could have probably gone right, between the minivan and the Camry.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-05-2017 at 06:21 AM..
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
jmg18493.00
      07-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #69
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Late to the party on this thread; Beartato inadvertently brought me to this thread. I feel like I need to comment.
I feel so loved
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #70
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

I also agree that while the driver was at fault because of the driving violation, the biker could have mitigated his chances of crashing. it looked like he didn't even react to the car pulling in front of him. Also, this is the exact type of situation where proper brakes are invaluable. Ever try stopping quickly on a Harley, especially at that speed? With a bike that probably weighs over 600 pounds and has near zero braking capability, he'd be better off trying to put his feet down and using his boots to stop.

When I ride, I expect that every car is trying to hit me.
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      07-04-2017, 11:38 PM   #71
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Tsk! tsk! tsk! Not strange but stupid to let tempers flare.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 12:25 AM   #72
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
new rider ill prepared for fast changing traffic conditions. im stoned and seen that shit coming from yesterday

10+ years riding experience, with way too many close calls to count
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 12:27 AM   #73
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyM2 View Post
this one was awesome, guarantee that motorcyclists had someone follow him. it was all good till others were involved.

both drivers should have to pay for that shit
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 12:39 AM   #74
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

I have watched the video and I don't understand all the comments that the guy did not hit the brakes. I can clearly see him move his right hand to the front brake before impact. In the slow mo video when he is in the air you can see skid marks of his rear tire. He did not grab a lot of front brake because that would have flipped him or dropped him. That is also why the front of the bike does not dip with the brakes. If you hit the rear brakes hard the front wont dip much on its own.
If he had the rears locked and the fronts brakes applied and you also want him to turn to a safe place all at the same time. That's a lot to do at speed in 1 or 2 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #75
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyM2 View Post
Okay, I don't condone his actions, but that dude does know how to handle a motorcycle...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 06:16 AM   #76
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoart View Post
I have watched the video and I don't understand all the comments that the guy did not hit the brakes. I can clearly see him move his right hand to the front brake before impact. In the slow mo video when he is in the air you can see skid marks of his rear tire. He did not grab a lot of front brake because that would have flipped him or dropped him. That is also why the front of the bike does not dip with the brakes. If you hit the rear brakes hard the front wont dip much on its own.
If he had the rears locked and the fronts brakes applied and you also want him to turn to a safe place all at the same time. That's a lot to do at speed in 1 or 2 seconds.
I agree he covered the brake, but I think the skid mark you see is the front tire locked up once it crushed back to the frame when the forks bent. I didn't hear any skidding tire either.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-05-2017 at 06:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 06:45 AM   #77
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoart View Post
Going with your assumption of the guy actually braking.

If he knew any better, he would know that to stop a motorcycle you have to use your front brakes as your primary means of slowing the bike. Using the rear brake as the primary method to stop a bike is asking for trouble and it's only a matter of time before he would end up on the pavement. About 80% of the stopping power of a motorcycle's braking is from the front brake. There's a reason why sport bikes have beefy front brakes. The fear of flipping over or having the bike do a "stoppie" is highly unlikely on a cruiser like what that guy is riding due to the rake of the front suspension geometry. I hardly ever use my rear brake. And never use it on the track.

A friend of mine was meeting me at my house so we could go on a ride together. After being about 20 minutes overdue, I finally get a call from him. He said he crashed just outside of my development. I go out and found him on the side of the road just past the entrance to my development. He tells me he missed turning into the entrance and was in the process of doing a U turn when he crashed. He didn't know why. I looked at the skid mark on the pavement. I said you used your rear brake didn't you. He asked how I knew. I pointed to the skid mark and told him you never ever use the rear brake as the primary means to stop your motorcycle.
Appreciate 0