BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

09-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
GaryTheGolfer
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F02 BMW 740Li SE

OBD Power on Pin 16 - Permanent?

Hi
I am considering fitting a GPS/GSM tracker that plugs directly into the OBDII port on my UK 2013 F02 740Li. It is only using the OBD port to pick up power.

I would like to understand specifically and WITH CERTAINTY if the OBD port has 12volts on pin16 under all circumstances.

I can see that with the engine off, there is still 12volts there. However, some services go to "sleep" after different periods depending on whether the doors are locked or not.

If the tracker is left connected, it will take enough power, over a couple of days, for the car's sensors to detect the drain. The car then turns off some electrical services (and warns you it has done that when you switch the car back on).

Also I am aware that some (cheaper) trackers do occasionally turn themselves off after perhaps a week or so. And they need to be manually restarted. This is a (functionally fatal) fault with some (cheaper) trackers.

What would like to know, for sure, is "does the OBD 12v power (on pin16) ever get shut down under ANY circumstances....eg after several days parked, or when some "electrical services" are closed down because battery voltage has dropped.

(I am also aware that any pro thieves would scan for GSM signal and know where to look for undisguised trackers.)

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by GaryTheGolfer; 09-30-2017 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0