BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Stopped by the dealer to see if my 2013 analog cluster should be upgraded to the 2014 7 Series digital cluster.

OMG!

I think not! Yes, the digital speedo and tach are amazingly cool. And I bet at night, they are sweet.

But, the gas gauge and temp gauges are frauds. They should have left them the old way. I swear, the gas and temp gauge are cheeeeeeessssseeeyyy! They are not even digital. They are analog. They are a physical round disk with a white pointer painted on it. It is so two dimensional. The old gas gauge was a three dimensional needle. You can actually see the round disks move. And, when you shut off the car, they still look cheesey.

The have a hole in the gauge area where there is a round disk with a two dimensional needle painted on it.

It reminds me of something of those fake props you might find from Star Trek the original series.

I love the cluster, but its hard not to be distracted by the goofy gas and temp gauges.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: Revuelto, Urus Performante, X5

This digital display is just a attempt by BMW to keep up with other car manufacturers like Mercedes who are moving to all digital displays. You'll probably see more refined version of this display in the upcoming 7 series.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Out of all of the digital displays, the 2014 Lexus IS and LFA seems to be the best. Of course, the Japs will always be better at these geeky stuff. I'm fine with analogs, unless there's weight savings or performance benefit of the digital cluster. For the LFA, the engine revs faster than an analog tach so they had to go digital.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

I like it, I've used it for a few days now and it's honestly awesome. Thats just my opinion though. Im putting it in my 2013 for sure. The only thing I dont like about my 2014 is the stupid large touch idrive control.

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0