F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > How are tunes "Stackable" on N55 MPPK?
proTUNING Freaks

02-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
AlpineOnCoral
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6 SDrive35i

How are tunes "Stackable" on N55 MPPK?

I am trying to plan a few performances upgrades to my new N55-equipped F16.

Above all else, I want to preserve my warranty for now. I was looking in the short-term at adding an MPPK and maybe Dinan Stage 1 later on.

This isn't a Dinan vs the world discussion.

I am new to BMW tuning and was just curious to know what does MPPK do that other tunes like a Dinan Stage 1 don't do that would result in better performance with the two "Stacked" on each other?

Does MPPK in an F16 (N55B30M0 (302hp/295tq) engine, same as 2011–2015 F30/F31 335i and 2013–2016 F32/F33/F36 435i) improve the performance when stacked with other tunes (like JB+, JB4 or Dinan Sport)? I know each of those three listed are different.

I'm just trying to learn. Thanks in advance for your help and assistance!!

Last edited by AlpineOnCoral; 02-18-2018 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: bad grammar in title
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
The Burger JB+ and Dinan Sport will stack (adding about 3-4 PSI) on top of the MPPK, but the more advanced piggyback tunes will not. Dinan doesn't offer "flash" tunes for the 2012+ N55 engine, so their "Stage" piggyback tuners all have multiple sensor connectors, and there are different units for with/without MPPK plus either pneumatic or electronic wastegate (early 2013 N55s like mine have the PWG). Burger's JB stage 1 uses only MAP and TMAP sensor connections, so it may also stack over the MPPK. As far as I know, the JB4 won't stack over the MPPK.

In short - if the MPPK and a JB+ or Dinan Sport tuner aren't going to be enough and you want to go to a Dinan Stage 1 or higher or a JB4, don't get the MPPK. The MPPK does improve exhaust overrun "burble", but so do the more advanced tunes.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 2
ronanz1819.50
harkes1075.50
      02-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

He nailed it ^
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 12:23 AM   #4
AlpineOnCoral
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6 SDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
The Burger JB+ and Dinan Sport will stack (adding about 3-4 PSI) on top of the MPPK, but the more advanced piggyback tunes will not. Dinan doesn't offer "flash" tunes for the 2012+ N55 engine, so their "Stage" piggyback tuners all have multiple sensor connectors, and there are different units for with/without MPPK plus either pneumatic or electronic wastegate (early 2013 N55s like mine have the PWG). Burger's JB stage 1 uses only MAP and TMAP sensor connections, so it may also stack over the MPPK. As far as I know, the JB4 won't stack over the MPPK.

In short - if the MPPK and a JB+ or Dinan Sport tuner aren't going to be enough and you want to go to a Dinan Stage 1 or higher or a JB4, don't get the MPPK. The MPPK does improve exhaust overrun "burble", but so do the more advanced tunes.
That's excellent! Thanks so much!

Attached is a basic bang-for-the-buck analysis I did considering different combinations of MPPK and Dinan Stage 1. I used the actual dyno measurements provided by Dinan, not the Manuf claim. Biggest bang for the buck was the MPPK alone, gaining 12 HP and 49 Torque (Dinan dyno measured). Combined increase per $100 (HP+Tq/Parts cost only) was 5.65 units. Second best was Dinan Stage 1 alone (5.05) and last was Dinan Stage 1 stacked on MPPK (4.66). That being said, Dinan Stage 1 stacked on MPPK did yield 364 HP and 430 Tq. Quite respectable. I know JB4 yields much more for much cheaper but I just dropped alot of money for this car and I'm not ready to risk the warranty just yet for a few more smiles.

Anybody know what JB+ or Dinan Sport yield when stacked with MPPK?

Am I thinking about this bang-for-the-buck thing right, or is a better way to look at it?

Thanks all! Thanks roundel335!!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Basic Tune Comparo.pdf (175.9 KB, 200 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:55 AM   #5
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineOnCoral View Post
That's excellent! Thanks so much!

Attached is a basic bang-for-the-buck analysis I did considering different combinations of MPPK and Dinan Stage 1. I used the actual dyno measurements provided by Dinan, not the Manuf claim. Biggest bang for the buck was the MPPK alone, gaining 12 HP and 49 Torque (Dinan dyno measured). Combined increase per $100 (HP+Tq/Parts cost only) was 5.65 units. Second best was Dinan Stage 1 alone (5.05) and last was Dinan Stage 1 stacked on MPPK (4.66). That being said, Dinan Stage 1 stacked on MPPK did yield 364 HP and 430 Tq. Quite respectable. I know JB4 yields much more for much cheaper but I just dropped alot of money for this car and I'm not ready to risk the warranty just yet for a few more smiles.

Anybody know what JB+ or Dinan Sport yield when stacked with MPPK?

Am I thinking about this bang-for-the-buck thing right, or is a better way to look at it?

Thanks all! Thanks roundel335!!
Well, yes, in a way the bang-for-the-buck is a good analysis, but sometimes it just depends on what you want to spend in terms of time and money versus what you want to achieve in terms of overall performance gains. For instance, while I'd like to have a Dinan Stage 1 or 2, I was able to buy a used JB+ from a fellow forum member for a good bit less than list price, and I got my MPPK at a considerable discount and only paid about $100 for having a dealership apply the flash tune (has to be done using the BMW computer system and the supplied activation code in the package). From what I am able to determine, my MPPK/JB+ is relatively close to a Dinan Stage 1 tune at about half the list price. Dinan does have refurbished "Stage" units from time to time, so you may want to look into that.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Instead of wasting money with MPPK, just get stage 1 Jb and remove it before your dealership visit.

It will give you more power and is very cheap.

Once your warranty expires you can go with the more advanced JB4 or flash tune

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
meme
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Mineral Grey

MPPK is a huge rip off. I have MPPK + MPE and I got them so I don't void the warranty. My BMW dealer service really sucked and they never fixed any issues I have had with the car under warranty anyway. If I were you, I would go with a different tune and non-oem exhaust in case you want to do that later.

SAVE YOUR $$$
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bronze Metallic 335i

What would make more power bms stage one or Dinatronic sport tuner on an mppk car? Would probably both be fairly similar?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineOnCoral View Post
I am trying to plan a few performances upgrades to my new N55-equipped F16.

Above all else, I want to preserve my warranty for now. I was looking in the short-term at adding an MPPK and maybe Dinan Stage 1 later on.

This isn't a Dinan vs the world discussion.

I am new to BMW tuning and was just curious to know what does MPPK do that other tunes like a Dinan Stage 1 don't do that would result in better performance with the two "Stacked" on each other?

Does MPPK in an F16 (N55B30M0 (302hp/295tq) engine, same as 2011–2015 F30/F31 335i and 2013–2016 F32/F33/F36 435i) improve the performance when stacked with other tunes (like JB+, JB4 or Dinan Sport)? I know each of those three listed are different.

I'm just trying to learn. Thanks in advance for your help and assistance!!
My situation is very similar to yours. Hopefully this information will help. My N55 car is a 2015 335i x-drive with some warranty remaining. I bought the car used with the MPPK tune already installed. Do NOT waste your money on the MPPK tune from BMW. It's very expensive. It basically gives you 1psi-2psi extra boost than stock. The solution is to purchase a Burger JB Stage1 tuner for about $379 plus you will need their $35 cable (serial/USB). The JB Stage1 by default is set to +3psi extra boost, but you can adjust to up to a maximum of +6psi using the JB cable connected to your laptop.

So if you set the JB Stage1 to +5psi, boost-wise you essentially have the equivalent of a JB+ or Dinan tune on top of an MPPK tune. All for a fraction of the cost.

Note: One of the most critical items that effects the amount of extra boost that you can use is your fuel octane rating. 93 Octane is ideal. But if you try to run a lot of extra boost on lower octane because that is all that is available in your area, your car may be constantly adjusting timing to prevent knocking, etc. So available octane is part of your decision on how much extra boost to set your tune for. When you get into higher level tunes like the JB4, it has logging features so you will be able to see how cleanly your car is running on the boost setting & octane level.

Details: Both the JB+ and the inexpensive Dinan tune connect just to the TMAP sensor on the charge pipe near the throttle body. The JB Stage1 connects to the TMAP and also to the MAP sensor on top of the intake manifold. The allows it to control not just boost but to fine tune the ignition timing. I'm been told by several people that for that reason, the JB Stage1 can run smoother than the TMAP-only tuners.

The JB Stage1 can still be quickly deinstalled before taking the car in for dealer service. It would be easier to keep a ziplock baggie in the trunk with the couple of small tools needed to do so, just in case you break down somewhere and want to pop it off. 10 minutes tops! Maybe I'll write up a tool list and quick instructions for myself and share it.

A lot of this info I got from Mike at X-PH in Las Vegas. He's extremely knowledgeable and has the best prices. Also ask him about trade-up program where you could buy a JB now and trade up to a JB4 later for the difference in price. Hope this helps you out!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #10
Blocke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Been following this thread as I bought my 14 335i with the mppk and mpe already installed. If I were to “stack” say a JB+ on top, does the mppk tune remain untouched since the JB unit is a piggyback? My warranty is up in December so it’s not a huge concern, but if I went some sort of JB unit I don’t want to lose my mppk tune in the event I wish to revert back for some reason. Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocke View Post
Been following this thread as I bought my 14 335i with the mppk and mpe already installed. If I were to “stack” say a JB+ on top, does the mppk tune remain untouched since the JB unit is a piggyback? My warranty is up in December so it’s not a huge concern, but if I went some sort of JB unit I don’t want to lose my mppk tune in the event I wish to revert back for some reason. Make sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocke View Post
Been following this thread as I bought my 14 335i with the mppk and mpe already installed. If I were to "stack" say a JB+ on top, does the mppk tune remain untouched since the JB unit is a piggyback? My warranty is up in December so it's not a huge concern, but if I went some sort of JB unit I don't want to lose my mppk tune in the event I wish to revert back for some reason. Make sense?
You won't lose your MPPK tune since JB+ and JB Stage1 both sit on top of it. MPPK tune is believed to provide about 2 psi more than standard BMW tune. JB+ is set at default at an additional 3.5psi over MPPK. JB+ can be adjusted by opening box an turning a screw on circuit board to adjust from 0 to +4psi over MPPK.
JB Stage1 is set at factory to default to +3psi over MPPK tune and is adjustable from 0 to +6psi over MPPK tune using JB specially pinned USB/serial cable ($35)
Beware of used JB Stage1 units for sale. Many are very old versions that are 6-7 years old with cable sheathing falling apart and lacking serial port at end. Buy a new JB unit with option to upgrade to JB4 later. Mike at X-PH gave me a great deal along with upgrade path.

Caution: As I stated in earlier posts, the octane of your fuel effects how much boost you can add. If you are using less than 93 octane, don't turn the boost up to max. You could be causing your ignition system to work hard to avoid engine knocking without you knowing it. The JB4 has logging features and ties into more engine sensors so you can bump up boost intelligently without hurting your engine.

Sounds like you have the tune and exhaust. Do you have the MP intake also? My car came with all three. I replaced the stock air filter with a ProDry from aFe and felt the difference. It's about $80-85 everywhere and is good for life. Just clean it every 20-30k miles or whenever it needs it. DONT get an oiled air filter or it can gunk up the sensors in your intake air stream. Most other intakes are to create lots of noise but not necessarily adding more intake air.
Hope this all helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #12
Blocke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

I do have the intake as well, but live in Ca where 91 octane is the best we can get. Might keep it milder on the boost side for that reason
Appreciate 0