BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

boy BMW's marketing team is really shooting themselves in the foot and they probably don't even realize it. The M brand used to mean the best of the best, by making an M770i, why would anyone buy the more expensive M5 or M6 GC. Most of the people who can afford these cars buy it for the prestige not for the performance. So why spend more, when you can spend less and still tell your buds you have an ///M?

Why not just call it a 740is? Don't even get me started on the whole sDrive xDrive non-sense. Have they completely lost it?

I've bought nothing but BMWs my whole life, but all of a sudden the Audi S and RS brand are looking quite appealing. I'll give up RWD, if it means I can have a real sports car.
      07-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #24
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

How can they keep reducing the CC and this time even increasing the model number.
They need to call the 760i (w/ TT 6.0W12) M799i or something.
Actually it should no longer exist as it violates BMW values of thriftiness and not giving you anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #25
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren Werke
i think bmw will fall like apple did/ is doing. apple changed alot after mr.jobs passed away, and imo bmw started to make showoff cars instead of "ultimate driving machine"s. all those fake m models are what the forum hate, m badged normal cars just to show off.

edit: also im not saying this because of "purism" or any kinda stuff, im just saying it since i feel that way. hell, if i were a purist, why would i be driving a 116i right?
Apple is still breaking revenue records quarter after quarter so apparently the world disagrees with you on apple products.

As for BMW M Performance cars, I won't pass judgment until I've driven one. But you have already apparently?

Can't stand these end of the world sky is falling overreactions sorry.
Breaking revenue records is not an indication that apple is the company that it used to be. Been in an apple store lately? The experience is a nightmare. Oh you don't have a reservation? You can wait for 2-3 hours then for all those people who signed up online but didn't show up. They get that priority spot and I'm walking out the door. Also have you noticed the competence/enthusiasm of apple employees compared to 4 years ago? Night and day. There is one 'genius' for 27 idiots that now nothing more than the average user. The genius is in such demand he doesn't care to listen to you anymore anyway all he is trying to do is get you to buy something and get out. Also the revolutionary stuff that apple has made a name for themselves with simply is falling short with each new unveiling. The new MacBook pro is sweet I'll give them that but just cause something's a little faster and a little lighter doesn't mean it's revolutionizing the game like the products they used to make. Hell, I never notice 'faster' anyway because everything I do relies on the Internet and that's my connection speed not my device.

Record profits means that we have jumped on the band wagon and rely on these products so heavily. Are they better than the rest of the products out there? Yes. Is apple the same product that you got excited about and liked going into the store because of the enthusiastic individuals who knew their product and got excited to show you some new thing that the new iPhone had? No. That is dead.

I tried to write this with that dumb bitc* Siri and I got to the second sentence before I cursed her out and gave up. Flame on ya ya I know there's a million defenders but I was just looking for a place to vent. If no one agrees with me oh well but shoot I hope I made some sense to some people.

End rant.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #26
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren Werke
i think bmw will fall like apple did/ is doing. apple changed alot after mr.jobs passed away, and imo bmw started to make showoff cars instead of "ultimate driving machine"s. all those fake m models are what the forum hate, m badged normal cars just to show off.

edit: also im not saying this because of "purism" or any kinda stuff, im just saying it since i feel that way. hell, if i were a purist, why would i be driving a 116i right?
Apple is still breaking revenue records quarter after quarter so apparently the world disagrees with you on apple products.

As for BMW M Performance cars, I won't pass judgment until I've driven one. But you have already apparently?

Can't stand these end of the world sky is falling overreactions sorry.
Breaking revenue records is not an indication that apple is the company that it used to be. Been in an apple store lately? The experience is a nightmare. Oh you don't have a reservation? You can wait for 2-3 hours then for all those people who signed up online but didn't show up. They get that priority spot and I'm walking out the door. Also have you noticed the competence/enthusiasm of apple employees compared to 4 years ago? Night and day. There is one 'genius' for 27 idiots that now nothing more than the average user. The genius is in such demand he doesn't care to listen to you anymore anyway all he is trying to do is get you to buy something and get out. Also the revolutionary stuff that apple has made a name for themselves with simply is falling short with each new unveiling. The new MacBook pro is sweet I'll give them that but just cause something's a little faster and a little lighter doesn't mean it's revolutionizing the game like the products they used to make. Hell, I never notice 'faster' anyway because everything I do relies on the Internet and that's my connection speed not my device.

Record profits means that we have jumped on the band wagon and rely on these products so heavily. Are they better than the rest of the products out there? Yes. Is apple the same product that you got excited about and liked going into the store because of the enthusiastic individuals who knew their product and got excited to show you some new thing that the new iPhone had? No. That is dead.

I tried to write this with that dumb bitc* Siri and I got to the second sentence before I cursed her out and gave up. Flame on ya ya I know there's a million defenders but I was just looking for a place to vent. If no one agrees with me oh well but shoot I hope I made some sense to some people.

End rant.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #27
JSP
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedE90 View Post
It will likely feature a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8 tuned for 475 hp and 480 lb-ft of torque.
What's this about? Is the displacement a typo or is it BMW's movement toward the standardized 500cc per cylinder architecture? It doesn't make sense to turbocharge the high-revving S65. I haven't heard of any plan to downsize the 4.4T either.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #28
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
eh calling it a M755i would make more sense.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #29
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
It depends on how much weight they can shave off the 7er. From a performance standpoint, you would rather have a lighter car with lower HP but better weight /power ratio, than a heavier car with high hp.

From a marketing perspective--more hp/tq sells cars. So in comparison to an S-class AMG, the new 7er may be a fail.
Right, but that's like making the M5 with the N55 engine instead of using the N63 as a base. There's no extra engineering required: the twin-turbo V12 already fits in the F01, already has enough cooling, already has a big enough gas tank, etc. etc. etc.

I'd like to see BMW lose 100-200lbs off the current 760Li and bump up the power slightly. Also, I'd be nice if this M770i came in short wheelbase, long wheelbase, two wheel drive, and four wheel drive. The fact that the 760 (in America) only comes in long wheelbase form is pretty stupid in my mind. Not that I'll ever be in the market for a car that big.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #30
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Bavarian Marketing Works is doing some great things nowadays...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #31
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren Werke View Post

Well as part of 'the forum', we have to remember that we are the minority.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #32
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

lol

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #33
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari
I don't care how much heavier the twin-turbo V12 is, put it in the M770i with about 650hp and 650tq, with the weight saving measures they already have planned. Make it available in rear-wheel drive and xDrive.

There is no way in hell a 475hp 7-series can compete with S AMGs. Plus, 475hp is far too close to the standard 750i's 460hp.
They already have a 7 series with TT V12, it's called 760i
      07-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #34
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Liu
Wtf really? a 730i with a 2.4l engine?
Yes, BMW's new Toro division combines the luxury of the Seven series with the practicality of a four stroke Briggs and Stratton 200 cc microburst engine.

In addition to the latest professional navigation technologies, this new 730 comes complete with a detachable 30" blade. Moreover, BMW's latest carbon fiber reinforced bag is sure to catch all of your grass clippings on the first pass.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #35
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Liu
Wtf really? a 730i with a 2.4l engine?
Yes, BMW's new Toro division combines the luxury of the Seven series with the practicality of a four stroke Briggs and Stratton 200 cc microburst engine.

In addition to the latest professional navigation technologies, this new 730 comes complete with a detachable 30" blade. Moreover, BMW's latest carbon fiber reinforced bag is sure to catch all of your grass clippings on the first pass.
Haha seriously puts things into perspective
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #36
roadmax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Well, this is less ridiculous than when they decided to put an M to X5 and X6. But it is clear the direction now is heading to complete deterioration of M meaning.
M on this and M on that and at the end everything will end up having an M, in few more years the rare and exclusive BMW models will be the non M ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #37
roadmax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

...and why always talk about weight saving but when new model comes out it is always heavier than its predecessor. It would be appropriate mentioning weight saving only and only if the new model will be lighter in total weight compared to old model.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #38
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

BMW should just say "fuck it" and drop in a revised version of the 6.1L V12 they put in the McLaren F1 LM. That engine (and car itself) was/is soooo sex! (hence my avatar pic)

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #39
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

My friend owns a 760 with M package. Very nice and powerful car. Unless you actually roll out a real M7. Leave it be.
      07-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #40
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmax
Well, this is less ridiculous than when they decided to put an M to X5 and X6. But it is clear the direction now is heading to complete deterioration of M meaning.
M on this and M on that and at the end everything will end up having an M, in few more years the rare and exclusive BMW models will be the non M ones.
Say Hello to the M+ version. That's the NEW "M"
      07-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #41
av689
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 f83

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Piotr
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
i'm going to put an //M logo on my cat. stay tuned
My wife put an ///M on my birthday cake....That cake went fast too
Such a nice present for birthday!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:19 AM   #42
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

It's quite a long way 'till the next generation will appear and these are just rumors.
If they will release an M Performance petrol version (as 750d is available with the LCI) this will be based on 750i and will compete with S8, following the same formula: less weight and around 500hp.
I don t think the numbers are fixed yet as you can't present a new product, expecting to be the best, but with important less power than the rivals.
For sure it will be under 760i and I guess it will be called M 750 Performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #43
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Piotr View Post
It's already done No production yet since not enough rednecks signed up on the waiting list.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #44
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

IMO the V12 760i must remain the 7er highest number or it will lose image and credibility.

Logically the M Performance version which would slot in between 750i and 760i should be called M755i, but if BMW's marketing considers this number to not look solid and attractive enough (no zero at the end...) than yeah they have no choice than to call it M770i... unless the 760i becomes 770i so that the M Performance version can be dubbed M760i... But the -60 has so long been associated to the V12 engine that 770i seems highly unlikely... who knows.

I guess the less bad and most logical solution would be M755i... which still sounds ok, but what if BMW decided to make a similar version of the 5 Series (along with the M550d), it would be called M555i... a bit weird

Last edited by advantage20; 07-17-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0