BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #67
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
I just bought a brand new Jetta for 15k. Its boring as fuck but thats the point for a daily. It has the old school 2.0 which everyone knows are slow as fuck but will last forever. Hard to beat the price.
Why would anyone buy a Jetta with the shit 2.0 engine over a Japanese car with more power, better reliability, better fuel economy, and similar cost?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #68
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

When we wanted a hybrid last year, we ended up with a fully loaded KIA Optima for 30k. The gas ones are faster and cheaper (in your range) about the only thing my loaded 5 has for more than 2x the price is massaging seats (Kias are heated/cooled too) . I actually enjoy driving it and have plenty of room on a long drive. They put a nice package together and with the warranty, it was a no-brainier. You just have to get over the KIA name.
      08-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #69
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
When we wanted a hybrid last year, we ended up with a fully loaded KIA Optima for 30k. The gas ones are faster and cheaper (in your range) about the only thing my loaded 5 has for more than 2x the price is massaging seats (Kias are heated/cooled too) . I actually enjoy driving it and have plenty of room on a long drive. They put a nice package together and with the warranty, it was a no-brainier. You just have to get over the KIA name.
I had a KIA Optima Hybrid for a loaner car. (I do not even know why they have KIA as a loaner at different brand deaership).
It was great car. It seriously felt quieter than Audi/Infinity/Lexus LS. Just that I believe it cost more than 25k like OP wants.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #70
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Why would anyone buy a Jetta with the shit 2.0 engine over a Japanese car with more power, better reliability, better fuel economy, and similar cost?
For me personally, design matters. I ended up getting a 2011 CPO VW CC with like 25k miles on it for like $17k as a dd. I looked at a Sonata which was slightly less and similarly equipped but I could not get over the Japanese "futuristic" alien spaceship style interiors they like to do. I also liked the way the CC drove a bit better than the Sonata.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #71
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
For me personally, design matters. I ended up getting a 2011 CPO VW CC with like 25k miles on it for like $17k as a dd. I looked at a Sonata which was slightly less and similarly equipped but I could not get over the Japanese "futuristic" alien spaceship style interiors they like to do. I also liked the way the CC drove a bit better than the Sonata.
I prefer function AND form. I can't get over VW horrid quality, reliability and stupid design. (who designs a BRAND NEW ENGINE WITH TIMING BELTS?)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #72
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
I doubt OP will fit in the Mazda 3. I am 6'2" with long legs and barely fit in one with moon roof.

If he does go for the mazda, definitely get the bigger engine.
Depends. I believe it's only available with the auto. Some people here (not me) consider that unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #73
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
I doubt OP will fit in the Mazda 3. I am 6'2" with long legs and barely fit in one with moon roof.

If he does go for the mazda, definitely get the bigger engine.
Depends. I believe it's only available with the auto. Some people here (not me) consider that unacceptable.
The 15's are available with a manual with either engine. I'm 6'2" and fit with plenty of room.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #74
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Definitely not acceptable. We all love the idea of the 7th gen GTI but only 3/36 warranty and made in Mexico. Sticks are available pretty handily. Try to get an Accord with a stick, there will be one available in the entire state of NY. sad statement for the laziness of the USA.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #75
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Because some people want a car that actually looks good.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #76
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Because some people want a car that actually looks good.
And just does everything else poorly, including reliability, fuel economy, resale value, quality.

They are crappy cars for people who want a German car, but don't realize the Japanese cars are better in every way.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #77
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
And just does everything else poorly, including reliability, fuel economy, resale value, quality.

They are crappy cars for people who want a German car, but don't realize the Japanese cars are better in every way.
Explain to me again why you hate such hatred towards VW?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #78
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

From your profile seems you own a BMW... dunno why a smart guy like you didn't get a Honda instead. After all it's better in every way and cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #79
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Explain to me again why you hate such hatred towards VW?
Shitty cars that people fawn over, and the drivers are even worse. I can go into detail if you want.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #80
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
From your profile seems you own a BMW... dunno why a smart guy like you didn't get a Honda instead. After all it's better in every way and cheaper.
But it isn't RWD, which was the main requirements of my purchase. If Honda made a RWD sendan/coupe (read 2+2) I would have been all over it. I'm also a HUGE fan of the G series cars, but I couldn't find a manual in my price range at the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #81
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Shitty cars that people fawn over, and the drivers are even worse. I can go into detail if you want.
Something profound must have happened for you to hate VW this much; it's not normal for someone to hate something so much without a specific (or multiple) events taking place.

Yes, please go into detail. My father's first new car was an '80 VW Golf and my mother drove an Mk2 for over a decade.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #82
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

I had bought a brand new Honda Accord aka "The most reliable car on the planet". Car left me walking three times with less than 500 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #83
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

The Lexus ES/LS are probably the most reliable cars ever. But the Honda Accord is probably a second place finisher.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #84
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Something profound must have happened for you to hate VW this much; it's not normal for someone to hate something so much without a specific (or multiple) events taking place.

Yes, please go into detail. My father's first new car was an '80 VW Golf and my mother drove an Mk2 for over a decade.
Deep breath....ok
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #85
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Deep breath....ok
Are you still typing?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #86
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

How about no car and a Ducati 1199 Panigale S?

What else for $24K allows you to play with a McLaren 12C?

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #87
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Are you still typing?
You want to know the truth?

It's because I don't get it. I don't understand the fervor for a subpar brand that has never built anything significant or even legendary, or achieved any engineering feat worthy of my attention. The entire range of cars across all their brands represent what I consider the most revolting compromise of style over substance.

Hear me out for a moment - I can't recall one Audi branded product that I could justifiably own over any of its counterparts, as they had nothing of substance to hold as beacon to potential buyers. A brand that ‘small’ engines with small output that produced just adequate acceleration and fuel economy, consistently bested by their Japanese counterparts, (Remember, this is the same company that still produces an engine with 8 valves, and 115hp. It’s pathetic.) Priced higher than arguably cars that are better equipped and coupled extremely spectrums of styling (early 2000s Audi styling was very conservative, current styling is very extremely loud. And ugly.) And this would all be ok, if it weren’t for the presumptuous owners who keep them afloat.
These people I despise the most, arrogantly parading around a brand whose crowning achievement is being almost as good as a BMW. This is very unlike Lexus, a brand that was unknown 30 years ago, is now a segment leader offering daring style, technological innovation, reliability and extreme quality, and doesn't settle for being "almost." It is. Sure, the A4 might be an ok car, but why would you buy one over a Lexus? Is it more luxurious than a Lexus ES, more sporty than an IS, does it offer a better balance than a 3 series? Probably not. Essentially, true quality, engineering and substance are overlooked in the name of “style.” The antiestablishment niche of these cars has essentially become the establishment, and if there ever was a brand that was the poster child of hipsters, Audi/VW would be the embodiment of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #88
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
You want to know the truth?

It's because I don't get it. I don't understand the fervor for a subpar brand that has never built anything significant or even legendary, or achieved any engineering feat worthy of my attention. The entire range of cars across all their brands represent what I consider the most revolting compromise of style over substance.

Hear me out for a moment - I can't recall one Audi branded product that I could justifiably own over any of its counterparts, as they had nothing of substance to hold as beacon to potential buyers. A brand that ‘small’ engines with small output that produced just adequate acceleration and fuel economy, consistently bested by their Japanese counterparts, (Remember, this is the same company that still produces an engine with 8 valves, and 115hp. It’s pathetic.) Priced higher than arguably cars that are better equipped and coupled extremely spectrums of styling (early 2000s Audi styling was very conservative, current styling is very extremely loud. And ugly.) And this would all be ok, if it weren’t for the presumptuous owners who keep them afloat.
These people I despise the most, arrogantly parading around a brand whose crowning achievement is being almost as good as a BMW. This is very unlike Lexus, a brand that was unknown 30 years ago, is now a segment leader offering daring style, technological innovation, reliability and extreme quality, and doesn't settle for being "almost." It is. Sure, the A4 might be an ok car, but why would you buy one over a Lexus? Is it more luxurious than a Lexus ES, more sporty than an IS, does it offer a better balance than a 3 series? Probably not. Essentially, true quality, engineering and substance are overlooked in the name of “style.” The antiestablishment niche of these cars has essentially become the establishment, and if there ever was a brand that was the poster child of hipsters, Audi/VW would be the embodiment of it.
I would never get an A4, but I think the latest generation S8 is a masterpiece. Superior straight line performance to the S63 AMG for a lower price. I think that's one segment where Audi beats out its competitors.
Appreciate 0