BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Anyone else in love with the new M5's M Buttons?

08-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #23
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchn View Post
The blanks on the left are not filled in because the photographed car doesn't come with all the driving assistance options. This picture shows a completely filled up steering wheel on a G30.
Not sure why we need the driving assistance options on the steering wheel. They were fine where they are in the F10, down by the storage compartment and light switch.

I agree with another poster in that the current F10 wheels is pretty much perfection save for where the wheel heater is. I would have left the M1/M2 buttons on the wheel.

I would also have moved the cruise control buttons onto a stalk much like mercedes has it.

But that's what the LCI is for!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 03:51 PM   #24
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb View Post
Not sure why we need the driving assistance options on the steering wheel. They were fine where they are in the F10, down by the storage compartment and light switch.

I agree with another poster in that the current F10 wheels is pretty much perfection save for where the wheel heater is. I would have left the M1/M2 buttons on the wheel.

I would also have moved the cruise control buttons onto a stalk much like mercedes has it.

I think if anything the LCI will come with even more buttons on the steering wheel. There is just an industry trend to move everything possible onto the steering wheels (e.g. recent Porsches, Ferraris, Audi R8, etc...), and BMW is just jumping on the bandwagon.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #25
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:
The blanks on the left are not filled in because the photographed car doesn't come with all the driving assistance options. This picture shows a completely filled up steering wheel on a G30.

The two additional buttons on the left are for the Adaptive Cruise Control Following Distance (it also will adjust the warning distance for other functions utilizing the same sensor).

Regulatory Changes dictate a somewhat standard placement in all vehicles for certain basic and optional functions. Mercedes will no longer have the Cruse Control on a separate stalk.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 06:33 PM   #26
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:

I think if anything the LCI will come with even more buttons on the steering wheel. There is just an industry trend to move everything possible onto the steering wheels (e.g. recent Porsches, Ferraris, Audi R8, etc...), and BMW is just jumping on the bandwagon.
If jumping on the bandwagon is complying with regulations, sure.

LCI will likely have Multi-Function Touchscreen Controls.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #27
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

i like the buttons but i wonder if the bright red will be a little too distracting. depending on the material and how the button fits (if it can be detached/replaced), it might be worth it recoloring them to a darker red or something like that. but i like the placement.

and if you are seriously concerned about mistaking the M buttons (which you push forward with your thumbs after reaching toward the center) with the shift paddles (which you pull toward you with your fingers without moving your hand), then i just suspect you've never used shift paddles before - nothing wrong with that, but there is virtually zero chance you will get the two confused in real world driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #28
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
If jumping on the bandwagon is complying with regulations, sure.

LCI will likely have Multi-Function Touchscreen Controls.
Are there regulations stating that controls should preferably be mounted onto the steering wheel surface rather than on a stalk (e.g. cruise control settings on some Mercedes models)?

In that case, will we see turn indicator switches and wiper switches migrating to the steering wheel instead of on stalks in the future? That seems to be the trend at some manufacturers (e.g. Ferrari and Ford GTs) at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 11:30 PM   #29
eclipxe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Love the red M buttons
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #30
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Can you elaborate on what you consider "aggressive?"
The sides of the car have no shaping I'd like to see a "larger F80" if you like, flared front wings then nipped in along the doors and then out again at the rear.

That can't be done as it would be too wide, the F80 is already wider than a standard G30, so it's a moot point.

Audi managed it with the RS6 but the avant body may lend itself to that design.
      09-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #31
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

M buttons and placement look cool; the paddle shifters are disappointing...lack aggressive character. BORING
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #32
roho3323
The Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6, BMW M240i, BMW 750i

I don't mind the red M buttons but the shifter is a monstrosity!

2010 BMW M6
2007 BMW 335i,2012 Audi S4-retired
2016 BMW 750i M-Sport
2015 BMW M235i-retired, 2022 M240i
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #33
bpiorczyn
Registered
Rep
Drives: S550

Does anyone know if the gauge clusters will change colours like in the regular 5 series for sport eco and comfort (I realize the M5 doesn't have these modes but will they change based on your driving settings)?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #34
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Love em...
Appreciate 0