BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

06-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

[2015 FIM MotoGP™] Motul TT Assen - The Cathedral of Speed [06/27/2015]

It's time to get ready for the infamous Dutch Grand Prix! It's time for the riders and teams and fans of MotoGP to head to the Netherlands for the 2015 Motul TT Assen at the one and only Cathedral of Speed.

Track Details
Laps: 26
Total distance: 118.1 km - 73.3 miles
Length: 4.5 km / 2.82 miles
Left Corners: 6
Right Corners: 12
Width: 14 m. / 45.93 ft.
Longest Straight: 487 m. / 1597.77 ft.

Redding: “Assen is one of my favourite circuits
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2015/0...ircuits/178350

2015 Season Points so far:
1. V. Rossi 138
2. J. Lorenzo 137
3. A. Iannone 94
4. A. Dovizioso 83
5. M. Marquez 69
6. B. Smith 68
7. C. Crutchlow 47
8. M. Vinales 46
9. P. Espargaró 45
10. D. Pedrosa

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-23-2015 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Driver quotes:

Alvaro Bautista
“We are coming to Holland highly motivated thanks to the nice result in Barcelona. We are still a bit disappointed because we could have completed the Spanish trip with some good post-race tests, but the poor weather kept us from doing the work we had scheduled. So we'll bring the material to Assen that we weren't able to evaluate during the tests: we won't have much time to do it, but we'll give it our best shot. The track has a lot of quick direction changes which is an area where we need to improve, so from the first free practice sessions we'll be looking for the best setup to improve our bike's performance in that area. In any case the whole garage is very enthusiastic and we're ready to get down to business.”

Marco Melandri
“We are going to Assen with a bit of concrete optimism. In the Barcelona tests the team provided me with a much longer swingarm that gave me a better feeling. I only took two laps because then it began to rain but I noticed that the sensation was good. I like this track and I'm confident that we'll be taking some steps forward. Alvaro's result gave the team a strong signal of reliability. I see the glass as half full.”

Andrea Iannone (Ducati Team #29) – 3rd (94 points)
“I hope the Desmosedici GP15 will go better around Assen than at Barcelona, because it was a difficult weekend for me and for my team in Catalunya and for sure I want to improve on my result in the Netherlands. I’ve won before in Moto2 in 2010 at the Dutch track and I like it a lot, but I also know that in the past Assen has been a bit tough for Ducati. However this year we have a new bike, which still has a lot of untapped potential, and I am sure the GP15 will allow me to fight for the leading positions.”

Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team #04) – 4° (83 points)
“I was very disappointed about my crash at Barcelona, because we could have scored some good points for the championship, but I also know we are working well and this gives me the opportunity to fight for the podium at every round. At Assen it is important for us to come back to the podium and confirm our speed. The Dutch track is unique because of its particular layout, but also because of the weather conditions we usually encounter during the race weekend. In any case, we have to look at the positive things: we have a very fast bike and for sure we will be competitive at Assen.”

Marc Marquez
"Obviously I’m disappointed to have crashed out of my home race in Catalunya, but we’ve put that behind us now as we head to Assen. It’s a shame we couldn’t make the most out of the post-race test on Monday, but it’s the same for everyone. Assen is a track I like - even if it doesn’t necessarily suit our bike the best. As always we will have to work hard from Friday morning and hope to make a step with the bike settings. The weather is always unpredictable and this usually plays a part in the weekend, so we will have to keep an eye on it!"

Dani Pedrosa
"I was really happy to step back on the podium in Barcelona, it’s just a shame we couldn’t do much on the Monday during the test, due to the bad weather. The arm is feeling better and better each time I ride and now we need to work on the bike to improve our feeling. As we all know, the weather in Assen is usually a critical point so we must be sure to make the most of any dry track time! I like the track but it’s important to find a good setting and feeling with the tyres as there are a few very fast corners."

Nicky Hayden:
"Assen is a great circuit that always provides great races and I hope this can be a good weekend for us. We have stepped up our pace in qualifying over the past couple of rounds but now we need to back it up on race day, when it really counts. At Mugello I had a crash that wasn't my fault and then I had another at Barcelona that was. It is a shame to have missed out on the points for two straight races so the plan is to get back on the right track at Assen. Usually the grip there is good and the track has some fast and fun corners. The test after the GP in Barcelona wasn't too productive but at least we were able to confirm a couple of things with the electronics, which should be useful at Assen because it does tend to rain there. Hopefully we can pick up a good result for the team this weekend."

Eugene Laverty:
"Following three unfamiliar circuits I'm excited to return to a track that I know well. I've won races at Assen in both the World Supersport and Superbike championships so I'll be gunning for a top finish there in MotoGP. We found our way again at the previous round in Barcelona and I'm feeling full of confidence again. The team continue to support me 100% plus Honda have stepped in to help us move forward which I'm extremely grateful for. Everything's really starting to come together now".
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The Motul TT Assen will host the latest instalment in the battle between Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo for the lead in the World Championship standings.

Newsla

The historic TT Circuit Assen, the only venue that has hosted a Grand Prix every year since the World Championship began back in 1949, is the scene of the latest showdown between Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo to decide who sits on top of the standings.

The Movistar Yamaha duo head to the legendary circuit separated by just one point, with Rossi still holding the upper hand. The Italian, who has won six MotoGP races at Assen, is coming under severe pressure though from his teammate after Lorenzo’s incredible run of four wins in a row for the first time in his career. One thing is guaranteed, with third placed Andrea Iannone 43-points further back from Lorenzo, it will be the Spaniard or Rossi that will leave Assen as championship leader…but who will it be?

The smart money is on Lorenzo after his imperious run of form has seen him lead a record 103 consecutive laps in Jerez, Le Mans, Mugello and Barcelona. Rossi closed the gap in terms of race pace to his teammate last time out at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, but unless he can improve his Qualifying performance, it is hard to see anyone stopping Lorenzo in his current mood.

The 4.5km TT Circuit Assen plays to the Yamaha M1’s strengths, and they are the most successful manufacturer since the start of the MotoGP™ era with seven victories. In addition, both Rossi and Lorenzo will have benefitted from a recent private test at Motorland Aragon where they evaluated a new chassis for the YZR-M1.

Out of the current MotoGP™ field, Rossi is the most successful rider at the circuit, having taken eight victories across all classes (6x MotoGP™, 1x 250cc, 1x 125cc), with the last coming in 2013.

Last year’s race winner was Repsol Honda’s Marc Marquez, as he rode a brilliant flag-to-flag race to take victory ahead of Andrea Dovizioso. The reigning MotoGP™ World Champion’s title defence though has been severely dented after he crashed out of the last two races in Mugello and Barcelona. Marquez finds himself 69-points behind Rossi, as he continues to struggle with the engine characteristics of his RC213V.

In effort to gain more confidence and feel, Marquez even tried out his 2014 chassis with the current swingarm and engine at the post-Catalan GP test. Despite only managing five laps with the old chassis during the rain affected test, Marquez felt it was an improvement, though it remains to be seen if the hybrid bike will allow him to close the gap sufficiently to the Yamaha’s. One thing is for sure; Marquez clearly enjoys the Dutch track, as like Rossi, he has tasted victory in each class (1xMotoGP™, 2x Moto2, 1x 125cc) before.

Marquez’s HRC teammate Dani Pedrosa heads to Assen full of confidence off the back of his first podium of the season at the Catalan GP. It was his first podium since returning from career threatening arm pump surgery earlier this season. The Spaniard stood on the podium in last year’s rain affected Dutch GP, but has only won once before at the circuit in the 125cc race back in 2002.

For Team Suzuki Ecstar, Assen represents the next chance to test the competitiveness of the all-new GSX-RR after the engine updates they received at the Catalan GP. The fast and flowing nature of the track will suit the excellent handling characteristics of the Suzuki, and the lack of a long straight should negate a lack of top speed compared to the other Factory machines. Aleix Espargaro claimed the Japanese manufacturer’s first pole position since the 2007 Dutch GP in Barcelona, and he will now be looking to back that up with decent result in the race after recording three consecutive DNF’s. The Spaniard took pole at last year’s Dutch GP after a rain affected Qualifying, and finished what was his 150th Grand Prix appearance in fourth on the Forward Yamaha.

His teammate Maverick Viñales is looking to build on his career best finish (sixth) at the Catalan GP at a circuit he has won at twice before (2011 125cc, 2012 Moto3™) and finished second in last year’s Moto2™ race. Viñales will be boosted by the work carried out at the recent test in Barcelona, where he focussed on improving his pace on older tyres.

For Ducati Team’s Andrea Iannone, Assen represents a chance to try and close the gap in the standings to the Factory Yamahas. The Italian has not finished outside of the top 6 all season, a feat that only Rossi and Lorenzo can match, and he crossed the line in sixth at the Dutch GP last year on the Pramac Racing Ducati.

His teammate Andrea Dovizioso will be aiming to get his season back on track after two consecutive DNF’s. Dovizioso started the season with three second places in a row, but since then has only managed to step onto the podium once in the last four races. The Italian led last year’s race at the Dutch TT before being overhauled by Marquez and finishing in second. That was his third MotoGP™ podium at the circuit.

Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Bradley Smith is the leading Satellite rider heading to Assen, as he currently occupies sixth in the World Championship standings with 68-points. The British rider has made his best ever start to a MotoGP™ season, and he has a 21-point lead over compatriot Cal Crutchlow (CWM LCR Honda).

Crutchlow will be looking to bounce back after three DNF’s in a row and begin to claim the points his impressive pace so far this season deserves. The British rider stood on the podium at the Dutch circuit in 2013 from pole position on the Tech 3 Yamaha and finished last year’s race in ninth on the Factory Ducati.

Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS rider Scott Redding equalled his best ever MotoGP™ result at the Catalan GP (seventh) after struggling so far this season to adapt to the Factory spec Honda. Redding says he is starting to get used to a bike with more power and less grip than last year’s Open class RCV1000R, and will be confident that he can continue to progress at a circuit where he has finished on the podium twice in Moto2™ (2012 & 2013).

Aspar MotoGP Team’s Eugene Laverty will be looking to build on three point scoring finishes in a row at a circuit he has won at before in World Superbikes (2103). Laverty should also benefit from receiving the new Honda Open class swingarm at recent the Barcelona test.

Avintia Racing’s Hector Barbera leads the Open class battle with 16-points, despite not scoring any points at the Catalan GP. He has a three-point advantage over Athina Forward Racing’s Loris Baz, although Jack Miller (11pts) and Stefan Bradl (9pts) have closed the gap, with the latter taking the class victory last time out in Barcelona with an impressive eighth.

The Motul TT Assen officially kicks off with the official Press Conference on Wednesday 24 June at 17:00 local time, and the on-track action starts on Thursday with Free Practice, with Qualifying on Friday and the race Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Driver quotes:

Alvaro Bautista
“We are coming to Holland highly motivated thanks to the nice result in Barcelona. We are still a bit disappointed because we could have completed the Spanish trip with some good post-race tests, but the poor weather kept us from doing the work we had scheduled. So we'll bring the material to Assen that we weren't able to evaluate during the tests: we won't have much time to do it, but we'll give it our best shot. The track has a lot of quick direction changes which is an area where we need to improve, so from the first free practice sessions we'll be looking for the best setup to improve our bike's performance in that area. In any case the whole garage is very enthusiastic and we're ready to get down to business.”

Marco Melandri
“We are going to Assen with a bit of concrete optimism. In the Barcelona tests the team provided me with a much longer swingarm that gave me a better feeling. I only took two laps because then it began to rain but I noticed that the sensation was good. I like this track and I'm confident that we'll be taking some steps forward. Alvaro's result gave the team a strong signal of reliability. I see the glass as half full.”

Andrea Iannone (Ducati Team #29) – 3rd (94 points)
“I hope the Desmosedici GP15 will go better around Assen than at Barcelona, because it was a difficult weekend for me and for my team in Catalunya and for sure I want to improve on my result in the Netherlands. I’ve won before in Moto2 in 2010 at the Dutch track and I like it a lot, but I also know that in the past Assen has been a bit tough for Ducati. However this year we have a new bike, which still has a lot of untapped potential, and I am sure the GP15 will allow me to fight for the leading positions.”

Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team #04) – 4° (83 points)
“I was very disappointed about my crash at Barcelona, because we could have scored some good points for the championship, but I also know we are working well and this gives me the opportunity to fight for the podium at every round. At Assen it is important for us to come back to the podium and confirm our speed. The Dutch track is unique because of its particular layout, but also because of the weather conditions we usually encounter during the race weekend. In any case, we have to look at the positive things: we have a very fast bike and for sure we will be competitive at Assen.”

Marc Marquez
"Obviously I’m disappointed to have crashed out of my home race in Catalunya, but we’ve put that behind us now as we head to Assen. It’s a shame we couldn’t make the most out of the post-race test on Monday, but it’s the same for everyone. Assen is a track I like - even if it doesn’t necessarily suit our bike the best. As always we will have to work hard from Friday morning and hope to make a step with the bike settings. The weather is always unpredictable and this usually plays a part in the weekend, so we will have to keep an eye on it!"

Dani Pedrosa
"I was really happy to step back on the podium in Barcelona, it’s just a shame we couldn’t do much on the Monday during the test, due to the bad weather. The arm is feeling better and better each time I ride and now we need to work on the bike to improve our feeling. As we all know, the weather in Assen is usually a critical point so we must be sure to make the most of any dry track time! I like the track but it’s important to find a good setting and feeling with the tyres as there are a few very fast corners."

Nicky Hayden:
"Assen is a great circuit that always provides great races and I hope this can be a good weekend for us. We have stepped up our pace in qualifying over the past couple of rounds but now we need to back it up on race day, when it really counts. At Mugello I had a crash that wasn't my fault and then I had another at Barcelona that was. It is a shame to have missed out on the points for two straight races so the plan is to get back on the right track at Assen. Usually the grip there is good and the track has some fast and fun corners. The test after the GP in Barcelona wasn't too productive but at least we were able to confirm a couple of things with the electronics, which should be useful at Assen because it does tend to rain there. Hopefully we can pick up a good result for the team this weekend."

Eugene Laverty:
"Following three unfamiliar circuits I'm excited to return to a track that I know well. I've won races at Assen in both the World Supersport and Superbike championships so I'll be gunning for a top finish there in MotoGP. We found our way again at the previous round in Barcelona and I'm feeling full of confidence again. The team continue to support me 100% plus Honda have stepped in to help us move forward which I'm extremely grateful for. Everything's really starting to come together now".
Here's what I was waiting for, the quotes from the 2 Yamaha riders

Valentino Rossi Championship: 1st, 138 points

"Assen will be another very intense weekend. After seven races the difference between me and Jorge is just one point and to keep the first place I have to finish in front of him. It won't be easy because Jorge is in a great shape, but so am I. I'm very happy about the last race in Barcelona, the victory was very close. Jorge's and my potential are very similar. I like Assen, it's a nice circuit. I did some good races there in the past and usually our bike is working really well, so it will be another important race. I'm sure our rivals will do everything they can to fight for the victory and we have to keep our eyes out for them. First we must improve our qualifying and we will work on making a better start to the race in Assen."

Jorge Lorenzo Championship: 2nd, 137 points

"Assen is maybe one of my two or three favorite tracks. I have good feelings there and also a few bad memories. Overall it's a place I love to race at. First of all because it is a track especially designed for motorbikes so the layout is amazing. The circuit is so fast and I love some of the high-speed corners there. I arrive in a very good shape after achieving four wins in a row and I look forward to racing in Assen! The last race in Barcelona was very tight at the end and Vale showed that he is also in a great shape. The bike is performing really well and I think Assen will suit us perfectly, but you never know. The forecast in Holland is always unpredictable so we need to wait and see if it's going to rain as usual or not."
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Not going to give anything away for those who have the race DVR'ed or set to record later, but Rossi vs Marquez ... wow!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Great race!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #10
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Not going to give anything away for those who have the race DVR'ed or set to record later, but Rossi vs Marquez ... wow!
So who had the corner at the final chicane, Rossi or Marquez??? Marquez didn't seem to happy about it, Rossi had a different view.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
elusive303
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e36 m3 turbo, e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso View Post
So who had the corner at the final chicane, Rossi or Marquez??? Marquez didn't seem to happy about it, Rossi had a different view.
You can say MM had the inside but he went completely off line to try and get to the corner first and Rossi still beat him there. From the normal camera angle you can say Rossi should've conceded but looking from up top, MM wouldn't have made that corner without pushing Rossi completely off line. Exciting racing for sure, I love them both! I'm a little surprised MM is complaining about the move though since he's made a habit of doing that to everyone else. He's probably still a little upset over Argentina and the way the season has gone for him.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive303 View Post
You can say MM had the inside but he went completely off line to try and get to the corner first and Rossi still beat him there. From the normal camera angle you can say Rossi should've conceded but looking from up top, MM wouldn't have made that corner without pushing Rossi completely off line. Exciting racing for sure, I love them both! I'm a little surprised MM is complaining about the move though since he's made a habit of doing that to everyone else. He's probably still a little upset over Argentina and the way the season has gone for him.

Well said
Appreciate 0