BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

12-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

A lot of questions...

Is there any way to...

1. press the lock button on the trunk once, not twice, to both lock and close the trunk?

2. make the trunk open and/or close faster?

3. reduce and/or increase the intensity of the massaging seats?

4. connect a Verizon Wireless Motorola Razr via Bluetooth?

5. keep Park Distance Control on, each time the car starts, not needing to press the Camera button and/or engage the Reverse gear?

6. obtain touch up paint for the BMW Individual colors?

7. copy radio presets I set with one key, so I don't have to reprogram same with the second key?

Last edited by dbs600; 12-25-2010 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

1. There should be two buttons on your trunk lid, the left button to only close the lid, the right button to close and lock the entire car (lock and arm the alarm system).

2. I don't think so.

3. Not that I am aware of.

4. Can't comment on this since I don't have either Verizon as a provider or a Motorola Razr...

5. Nope. You need to manually enable this feature every time you want to use it (It would be nice if BMW would offer such features via an option screen/menu in the iDrive system!).

6. Talk to your dealers parts department, they should either have it already or be able to get it for you.

7. Never tried that since the settings for my second key are completely different. Maybe try and see if you can use the USB backup feature to transfer settings from one key to another?!?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thank you very much for your always helpful posts, xDrive.

1. Yes, but I have to press that button twice, not once, to get the trunk to close.

5. I definitely have to speak with someone from service about this.

7. Yes, I see myself having to do the USB profile Import / Export thing.

If I figure out any of my other questions, I'll be sure to post.

Otherwise, another question, for those who have the Piano Finish Black wood trim:

8. How do you remove the slight scratches that are created by merely cleaning it (yes, I know to never use anything dry or rought to clean it, but scratches that you can see at night at certain angles are created regardless!)?

And, more (sorry):

9. Is there a way for the stereo (radio) to automatically lower in volume when the car is giving navigation directions? Every other car I've had did so, and this one just keeps the stereo at the same level throughout.

10. Under navigation settings there is a checkbox for Satellite Images; what does this do? Must one have the $200 per year convenience plan for same to work? Whether checked or not makes no difference on mine, and I do not have the plan.

11. Correct me if I am wrong, but pressing the DTC OFF button and having the icon of a car and the word OFF below it - to the right of the tachometer - IMPROVES traction in snow!? Is this not counterintuitive!? Anything combining "Traction Control" and "Off" would make me think that the car is reducing traction...

Last edited by dbs600; 12-26-2010 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

1. You shouldn't have to press the button twice. If you do, then I guess your trunk close and lock button does not recognize that you pressed it the first time. Have your dealer check the function and possibly replace it!

8. Good question, I have to figure this out myself too as mine has a few minor scratches too especially the one in the back where the kids are...

9. Any other source (e.g. radio, CD, DVD, iPod, etc.) should be soft muted (approximately 50% of normal volume) when the navigation instructions are given to you. You may need to increase the volume of the navigation instructions, this could be your problem?!?

10. I have to have a look at that, haven't looked at the settings in a LONG time

11. Have to read up on the exact meaning of the DTC function again, but I think what they are referring to is full traction control vs. dynamic traction control ?!?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
8. I'd love to hear a solution to that too.

9. Turn the volume up whilst the nav is speaking and that will alter the volume differential between the 2.

10. By turning DTC - Dynamic Traction Control on (maximises traction on poor surfaces setting) you automatically turn DSC - Dynamic Stability Control off. DSC is the programme which keeps the car going in the direction it's supposed to be going when you get it a bit sideways on wet surfaces or through over enthusiastic driving. The idea is that you use DTC to get yourself moving and then switch it off again ASAP so you get the benefit of DSC.

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
1. You shouldn't have to press the button twice. If you do, then I guess your trunk close and lock button does not recognize that you pressed it the first time. Have your dealer check the function and possibly replace it!

9. Any other source (e.g. radio, CD, DVD, iPod, etc.) should be soft muted (approximately 50% of normal volume) when the navigation instructions are given to you. You may need to increase the volume of the navigation instructions, this could be your problem?!?

I have to have my dealership look into both, as I have to press the lock button twice and the radio, etc. is not soft muted upon navigation instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbuck View Post
9. Turn the volume up whilst the nav is speaking and that will alter the volume differential between the 2.

10. By turning DTC - Dynamic Traction Control on (maximises traction on poor surfaces setting) you automatically turn DSC - Dynamic Stability Control off. DSC is the programme which keeps the car going in the direction it's supposed to be going when you get it a bit sideways on wet surfaces or through over enthusiastic driving. The idea is that you use DTC to get yourself moving and then switch it off again ASAP so you get the benefit of DSC.
Yes, I increased the navigation volume, but the problem is that it's still difficult to hear because the radio, etc. is not soft muted, as mentioned above. Otherwise, look at the attached. The red arrow points to the button I am confused by.

Say I am driving in snow… Correct me if I am wrong, but if I press this button once, should I experience superior traction in snow? Or, should I press it momentarily - get moving - and then press it again - once moving? What does pressing the button do; it turns off DSC and turns on DTC? It's confusing because it says "OFF"; and you’d think that you’d need to turn something ON for superior traction.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:50 AM   #7
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
Yes, press it once to turn DSC off and leave DTC on. You lose some significant safety features in the process though hence the advice to put DSC back on ASAP.

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

If you press the button once, it is like you have partial traction control. In this mode, DSC off and DTC on, the computer will allow the wheels to spin a little. This is helpful at slow speeds in deep snow, or going up a slick hill. It allows enough wheel spin to get you going, but will still catch you if you start to slide too much, in essence it keeps the computer from interacting and shutting things down too early. If you hold the button down for a few seconds, both DSC and DTC turn off and now there is no traction control at all. You will need to do this if you are stuck and need to really spin the wheels to get out. When I had a 335, the manual had instruction to push the button once to turn off DSC as you approach a snowy hill.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

AVIMAX and Fastbuck: Great, informative answers; Thank you!

Additional Q’s:

12. Is there any way for the automatic windshield wipers to be programed to remain on each time I start the car, or is this similar to not being able to program the PDC for same, resulting in one’s need to turn it on each time?

13. I’m getting into my second week with the car and just noticed that it’s taking the iDrive , navigation system, etc. longer to load upon startup, where the BMW splash screen stays lit, or there is just a black screen, or, when I put the car in reverse, I get either the PDC alert noise and/or just an image w/ no guidance lines and w/o the Red/Yellow/Green diagram, for a few moments. Why this longer boot time?

14. Very strange: sometimes my heated / ventilated seat settings remain upon shutdown and startup and sometimes they do not. Note: this concern does not have to do with use of different keys. Do these settings remain in the system only for a set amount of time?

BTW: I love being able to send addresses to the car via Google!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

12. Why would you want your wipers to be enabled all the time? AFAIK, you have to press the button to active the automatic wipers, there is no 'always on' function.

13. If you open the car with the remote (e.g. while walking up to it) the on board systems already had some time to start up and boot. If you use the comfort access, the systems will only start to boot when you unlock the car. Maybe that's the difference you are seeing?

14. Yes, I think it's 15min. If you return to the car within 15min and start it up again, certain settings are remembered (e.g. seat heater, automatic windshield wipers, etc) others are not (e.g. steering wheel heater).

The send to car feature from Google Maps is awesome. I just wish that the Google Maps feature on the iPhone would allow me to do the same!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Met with the shop foreman today, and have the following answers (if you can call them that):

1. press the lock button on the trunk once, not twice, to both lock and close the trunk?

A. Button not functioning properly.

2. make the trunk open and/or close faster?

A. No.

3. reduce and/or increase the intensity of the massaging seats?

A. No.

4. connect a Verizon Wireless Motorola Razr via Bluetooth?

A. Not sure; will get back to me.

5. keep Park Distance Control on, each time the car starts, not needing to press the Camera button and/or engage the Reverse gear

A. Not likely, but not sure; will get back to me.

6. For those who have BMW Individual paint, is there any way to obtain touch up paint

A. Possible; though, let's see when it comes in!

7. Is there any way to copy the radio presets I set with one key, so that I do not have to reprogram same for the second key?

A. If I bring both keys in, they should be able to do this for me.

8. How do you remove the slight scratches that are created by merely cleaning it (yes, I know to never use anything dry or rought to clean it, but scratches that you can see at night at certain angles are created regardless!)?

A. No answer.

9. Is there a way for the stereo (radio) to automatically lower in volume when the car is giving navigation directions? Every other car I've had did so, and this one just keeps the stereo at the same level throughout.

A. F01 is designed differently from the other BMW models and others have complained about this as well.

10. Under navigation settings there is a checkbox for Satellite Images; what does this do? Must one have the $200 per year convenience plan for same to work? Whether checked or not makes no difference on mine, and I do not have the plan.

A. Already figured this one out: Convenience plan not needed, just needs to be zoomed out to a certain level.

11. Correct me if I am wrong, but pressing the DTC OFF button and having the icon of a car and the word OFF below it - to the right of the tachometer - IMPROVES traction in snow!? Is this not counterintuitive!? Anything combining "Traction Control" and "Off" would make me think that the car is reducing traction...

A. Already figured this one out: Should press the button only if stuck in snow. Press the button again, once moving in snow. Foreman confirmed.

12. Is there any way for the automatic windshield wipers to be programed to remain on each time I start the car, or is this similar to not being able to program the PDC for same, resulting in one's need to turn it on each time?

A. Thought they do when the headlamps are on Auto, but they do not, so he's not sure; will get back to me.

13. I'm getting into my second week with the car and just noticed that it's taking the iDrive , navigation system, etc. longer to load upon startup, where the BMW splash screen stays lit, or there is just a black screen, or, when I put the car in reverse, I get either the PDC alert noise and/or just an image w/ no guidance lines and w/o the Red/Yellow/Green diagram, for a few moments. Why this longer boot time?

A. They may 'reflash' the car.

14. Very strange: sometimes my heated / ventilated seat settings remain upon shutdown and startup and sometimes they do not. Note: this concern does not have to do with use of different keys. Do these settings remain in the system only for a set amount of time?

A. Didn't know the car did this; will get back to me.

Another question that I asked the foreman:

15. Is there any way to increase the loudness of the turn signal indicators?

A. No.

Problem with this is that I have the BMW Individual Wood Inlay Steering Wheel and it's impossible to see the blinkers when they're on, and with how sensitive the stalk is, my blinkers are sometimes inadvertently on (which is a pet peeve of mine) when I'm listening to the radio loudly, yet I have no way of visually telling same. Not cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Simple solution to your last issue listed... don't play the music loudly

Seriously though, in my opinion the turn signals are quite loud and I wish I could turn them down! Do you have problems with your hearing or you just like to drive around with loud music all the time?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Haha. No problems with my hearing! But, I don't know... blinkers on my other autos are all louder; especially my Range Rover, which I love the sound of, it's somewhat different in sound from the rest, and same goes for it's navigation guidance instructions - a British accent, and the system is named: JAMES (Journey Assistance Mapping and Exploration System).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Does anyone know if it is possible to do the following:

16. Rename a genuine, non-homemade CD that has been stored to the music collection? It seems as though you can only rename CD's that have been burned/created at one's home.

17. Rearrange the music collection list? It seems as though the list is in order of when each CD was stored. There should be a way to have the list arranged alphabetically - or you should be able to arrange it however you like, as one does with radio presets!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

W/r/t 17, such nonsense: the manual states that all stored albums are listed in order of their storage dates. Why in hell would they not give you the ability to arrange / order / organize the music collection, much like one does with radio presets, or, AT LEAST, set the list to show alphabetically!?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #16
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

18. Is there any way to have the Music Collection list albums by artist name, instead of by album name? When I want to listen to a particular artist / band, it's annoying that I’m not readily able choose same, as I have to struggle to remember an album name.

A related problem: When listening to a track of an album, you should be able to scroll through the Music Collection and ‘enter’ other albums, without the system changing to the first track of the other album until you actually select another track to be played from same!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I have my entire collection sorted by Artist then Album on the USB memory stick. Actually iTunes does that for me (at least that's how I setup iTunes).
The iDrive system gives me the ability to browse the folders, so I get a list of the top folders (Artists), once I select an artist (folder), it shows me a folder list of the albums. Then I select the album (folder) at which point I can see all the tracks (files) in the selected album. Playback starts once I scroll to the track I want to listen to and select it. I can scroll through all the artists and albums and look at different tracks while another one is playing. It only changes the track once I select a new one or continues on to the next in-line track in the same album that is currently playing.
The only drawback is that it won't let you randomly play songs from different artists and albums with this method
But honestly, I'd rather select what I want to listen too rather than the system pick something randomly for me!
It also remembers the last song played and will continue where I left off, when I start the car the next time, which is nice...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #18
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Does anyone know how to:

19: Open the sunroof without fully retracting the sunroof shade (i.e.: have the sunroof shade go back evenly with the glass)?

20: Delete or reset a user profile. When I go to do so, I get a message that says that it can be done only with the ignition on - even though the ignition is in fact on. I then reattempt with the ignition off - thinking that it might be some type of error - but I get the same message.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #19
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

19: I think they are interlocked on purpose as to make sure you don't forget that the sunroof is open when the shade is closed! AFAIK, you can't open the glass part separately from the shade or in other words, you can open the shade only but if you want to open the glass part, the shade also needs to open.

20: Never tried to reset the profile. I do know however that if they disconnect the battery, some of your settings get wiped out, same goes for certain types of software upgrades on the car...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #20
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks, but what I would like to do is to have both the sunroof and the shade open by the same about; say 1/4, 1/3, or 1/2 of the way back - evenly - not that the sunroof would be open and the shade not...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

21. Curious, is there reason why BMW does not offer height adjustments for its front seat belts? Do height adjustments compromise safety in any way?

22. And, what does "Efficient Route" do? "Fast Route" and "Short Route" are both self explanatory, but "Efficient Route"? I'd prefer a route preference that uses highways when possible, but does not take you terribly out of your way to get to one / do so.

Last edited by dbs600; 03-16-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0