BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

02-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Wheel & Tire Protection Plan Woes

My car is at my dealer now, the two front tires have been replaced, but claims for the front two wheels (rims) were denied (even though I know they are bent, as previously verified with significant 'hop' by an independent tire shop, one of which is visibly 'out of round' from the face of the wheel).

What am I to do? I'm scheduled to pick up my car tomorrow, but have left a voicemail message for and e-mailed a Safe-Guard manager (who I've already spoken to in the past, who was nice, but unhelpful), who didn't get back to me today. Ridiculous they're denying valid claims.

Thanks.

Last edited by dbs600; 02-15-2014 at 12:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
My car is at my dealer now, the two front tires have been replaced, but claims for the front two wheels (rims) were denied (even though I know they are bent, as previously verified with significant 'hop' by an independent tire shop, one of which is visibly 'out of round' from the face of the wheel).

What am I to do? I'm scheduled to pick up my car tomorrow, but have left a voicemail message for and e-mailed a Safe-Guard manager (who I've already spoken to in the past, who was nice, but unhelpful), who didn't get back to me today. Ridiculous they're denying valid claims.

Thanks.
Yeah, this is the start of it. This winter will be bad for safe gard.

This is what separates the men from the boys.

Safe gard would be best to chalk it up to a bad year and pay all the claims. This way, for the next ten years (before we have another bad winter like this) they will grow like gangbusters.

Instead, it sounds like safe gard is clutching on to every buck. You can't do that. Sometimes you gotta pay the claim. And this is the year.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

I'VE HAD IT WITH SAFE-GUARD.

Vibration when driving. Pull into service drive, point out three bubbled tires. Service advisor brings car into shop and puts it on lift. Service advisor, tech and I observe all four rims being bent, worst being right front and left rear; bad hop when spun.

Service advisor calls to state that three tires are approved, but all rims are denied. I go crazy, as two are obviously bent. I call Safe-Guard and Safe-Guard contacts dealer to request additional photos.

Safe-Guard subsequently approves the left front rim, WHICH IS NOT NEARLY AS BAD AS THE FRONT RIGHT OR REAR LEFT!? I call Safe-Guard and speak with a manger who states that someone must’ve over stepped their authority' and that I’m 'lucky for any rims to have been approved as far as he’s concerned'. WTF IS GOING ON HERE!?

Safe-Guard manager states they do not cover ‘out of round’ wheels, but only those damaged by ‘road hazard impact’. Rims don’t come bent and short of lawsuit, I don’t know what else I have to do anymore. Safe-Guard also no longer sends inspectors, no longer accepts total indicated run out values and doesn’t accept video showing a bent rim for claims. They state that if the bend is not visible when the wheel is stationary / static, it’s not covered, which is BS, as the contract / policy nowhere states same.

I asked if the rims were removed for the pictures and was told they were left on the car. I said it’s certainly difficult to tell with less than half of the wheel showing and they said my dealer is ‘intimately aware of the claims process’. I said Safe-Guard should review additional photos and was told they will not, as multiple managers have already reviewed the claim.

I may not replace the tires, as there’s no doubt that if I do, they will subsequently state there’s no ‘sign of corresponding road hazard impact’. Nonsense through and through.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

First thing you gotta do is get rid of the runflats. As long as you keep them you're gonna keep bending rims, speaking from experience. Then you can worry about suing them. No sense in causing more damage through whatever legal BS you may have to do to get things covered.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
First thing you gotta do is get rid of the runflats. As long as you keep them you're gonna keep bending rims, speaking from experience. Then you can worry about suing them. No sense in causing more damage through whatever legal BS you may have to do to get things covered.
Yes, run-flats are garbage, I know.

Such that the policy is still covering my tires, I plan to convert to conventional tires upon policy expiration (less than one year left on the policy).

So now that you have conventional tires, you're saying you experience far fewer bent wheels?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Yes, run-flats are garbage, I know.

Such that the policy is still covering my tires, I plan to convert to conventional tires upon policy expiration (less than one year left on the policy).

So now that you have conventional tires, you're saying you experience far fewer bent wheels?
I haven't bent a single wheel on normal tires. On run flats, I went through 4 of them in 5 months.

Dealer said I could put on whatever tires I wanted and BMWs plan would cover them, so since I couldn't run summers in the winter, I put on conventional all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I haven't bent a single wheel on normal tires. On run flats, I went through 4 of them in 5 months.

Dealer said I could put on whatever tires I wanted and BMWs plan would cover them, so since I couldn't run summers in the winter, I put on conventional all seasons.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks, Gentlemen.

The latest:

As stated, I had three bubbled tires and four bent rims; front right and left rear rims being worst. After significant back and forth, Safe-Guard decided to cover the front left rim, which was not the worst. So, I had the dealer replace the front right rim and tire.

Note the repair order lines attached and the following videos showing the bent left rear rim remaining; bubble also shown on tire edge in third video:

Am I asking too much?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 05:11 AM   #9
GrowthEquityBeast
Registered
Rep
Drives: '11 Alpina B7

Sorry mate, had to pay for 2 of mine as well. The whole concept of not being able to get tires in a pinch makes the whole warranty verification process quite obtuse IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #10
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Dealer just installed four new wheels (rims) and tires, but I still feel some vibration; once at lower speed and again and continuing at higher speed. It’s weird, but sometimes I don’t feel it at all and sometimes it’s there (but minor).

The wheels were supposed to be new, but I feel the color is a very minor shade different from before (as minor as can be).

Is there any way to tell if my wheels were not replaced and were repaired / refinished instead? If not repaired / refinished, I suppose the color difference is a slight manufacturing variation?

And, aside from putting the car on a lift, is there any way to tell from the symptoms whether the vibration is bad balancing or if a wheel is still bent? Bringing the car back to the dealer this week, but would like insight.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by dbs600; 05-18-2015 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

There is a number on the tire that states when it is manufactured. If the number for all 4 are the same I would expect the tire was simply at the top of the pile. The number is on the inside lip of the tire in something of a rounded tag. It will say something along the lines of DOT ****** #### The * are just random letters for the serial number (probably not that random) and the last 4 numbers are the date of manufacture. The first two say the week the tires were made and the last two the year so if your tire says DOT ********* 4814 it means it was made in the 48th week of 2014 which would be mid November. If they are all newish odds are they are brand new tires.

As for the rims, on the inside there should be a serial number and tag of some sort and you can look them up I believe with a cell phone's QR reader and see when they were made.

Otherwise a vibration can be any number of other things including a tire being out of balance or the lug bolts being improperly torqued. I had a mean vibration in my M5 here about a week ago and I thought for sure it would be something expensive turns out it was just my lug bolts had been loosened and had stretched. 16 bucks later and I was right as rain. That could be a cheap fix just retorque your wheels.

If it is something else please let us know because there is a small hint of a vibration in my machine and I would sure like to get rid of it too!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #12
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks so much, frieseke!

Yes, not as concerned with tires as I am the wheels.

Hope the dealer didn’t send my wheels for repair, instead of installing new ones.

Wow; you lucked out!

Good news is that I took a close look at my wheels while at a gas station today and noticed that all have weights except for the right rear; maybe this is the culprit!?

I’ll be sure to keep you posted!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #13
HoustonRider
big pimpin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC and 2015 4 GC

not a fan of the W/T protection. it makes the dealer feel better when you buy it, but we bought two new cars in Dec with a total of $4900 I think in W/T and had it all refunded within the 1st 30 days. M cars don't have run flats and even if they did, you can go thru several sets of tires and plenty of great OEM take-off sets (or individual wheels) for $5k.

Not worth the frustration.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 08:13 AM   #14
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRider
not a fan of the W/T protection. it makes the dealer feel better when you buy it, but we bought two new cars in Dec with a total of $4900 I think in W/T and had it all refunded within the 1st 30 days. M cars don't have run flats and even if they did, you can go thru several sets of tires and plenty of great OEM take-off sets (or individual wheels) for $5k.

Not worth the frustration.
To date, my plan covered 5 tires and three wheels.

Once I went to a different dealer to fix a flat and they said the rim was bent and safe light will only cover the tire.

I didn't fight them. I took the car to my dealer and they promptly changed the wheel under safelite's plan without question.

To date, on one vehicle, I saved over $3000! So the plan paid for itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #15
HoustonRider
big pimpin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC and 2015 4 GC

I was running down the street (in my 6) with my woes..... you know how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #16
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much, frieseke!

Yes, not as concerned with tires as I am the wheels.

Hope the dealer didnÂ’t send my wheels for repair, instead of installing new ones.

Wow; you lucked out!

Good news is that I took a close look at my wheels while at a gas station today and noticed that all have weights except for the right rear; maybe this is the culprit!?

IÂ’ll be sure to keep you posted!
Dbs6000,

I had suspensions with ARS and DHP on 3 F02s.

My last 2013 ate so many wheels. Plus, my 2013 had massive vibrations.

None were sport.

Just picked up my latest f02.

It's sport with diesel.

Omg: the vehicle feels like a slot car. Also, I hit several pot holes and one huge one. This 2015 shakes them off---you can't even feel it.

I am starting to wonder if my previous wheel damage wasn't really the result of an inherent design flaw in pre 2015 suspensions.

If you get time, try out a 2015 sport f02 and see if you agree.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 01:10 AM   #17
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Wow, that's some amazing news, BMWrules7!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Though I find it hard to believe the suspension was tweaked post LCI.

Over the course of your 3 cars, what have the wheel sizes and tires models been?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #18
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that's some amazing news, BMWrules7!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Though I find it hard to believe the suspension was tweaked post LCI.

Over the course of your 3 cars, what have the wheel sizes and tires models been?

Thanks again!
All three 750 petrol v8 cars had 19" run flats.

However, on my msport, I didn't want the 20s, so I went with the all season 19s that are run flats.

Yeah, you're right. But, going over a pothole in my 2013 would SLAM down so hard and you just knew the wheel was bent.

But, in the 2015 740Ld, you don't hear that awful slam.

The diesel weighs the same as the petrol v8. So, I don't think it's weight.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #19
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

I know the slam you're referring to; it's awful.

A sharp shudder through the whole car.

You're saying your 2015 doesn't do this!?

If so, I'm floored.

No idea how I'd get my hands on a 2015.

Maybe your 2015 has different tires?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #20
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I know the slam you're referring to; it's awful.

A sharp shudder through the whole car.

You're saying your 2015 doesn't do this!?

If so, I'm floored.

No idea how I'd get my hands on a 2015.

Maybe your 2015 has different tires?
Exact same tires. But, the wheels are slightly different. They look the same but have an M logo on them.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #21
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Very interesting!
Appreciate 0