BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
mbworldz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Glove Compartment

Does anyone know how to lock the Glove Compartment on a 2011 7 series? I can't find any information from the manual. Just in case we leave the car with the valet, is it possible to lock it like other cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Don't think you can. There is a way to lock the center console with your key... I think that's the only lockable compartment and the the reason for this is so that you can disable the open button (with the slide switch in the back of the center arm rest console) and the external open handle switch on the trunk so that the valet can't get into your trunk...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

The glove box has no lock. However, the center console compartment has a lock for this purpose.

You can disable the the trunk lock (with comfort access) by flipping a switch in the center console compartment.

Next, press small black button near top of key fob to eject a legacy key.

Use this key to lock the center console after you disabled the trunk lock.

Finally, keep the legacy key with you and give the key fob (sans legacy key) to the attendant.

The attendant can now unlock, start, and drive the car, but the attendant won't be able to unlock the trunk without using excessive force.

By the way, to give you more of a clue as to the center console compartment's location, the center console compartment looks (and some would say feels) like a large vagina.

Next,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbworldz View Post
Does anyone know how to lock the Glove Compartment on a 2011 7 series? I can't find any information from the manual. Just in case we leave the car with the valet, is it possible to lock it like other cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
mbworldz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

LOL thanks guys. But still don't know why BMW won't put a lock on the glove compartment. People mostly put their stuffs like personal information like car insurance....etc there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
The glove box has no lock. However, the center console compartment has a lock for this purpose.

You can disable the the trunk lock (with comfort access) by flipping a switch in the center console compartment.

Next, press small black button near top of key fob to eject a legacy key.

Use this key to lock the center console after you disabled the trunk lock.

Finally, keep the legacy key with you and give the key fob (sans legacy key) to the attendant.

The attendant can now unlock, start, and drive the car, but the attendant won't be able to unlock the trunk without using excessive force.

By the way, to give you more of a clue as to the center console compartment's location, the center console compartment looks (and some would say feels) like a large vagina.

Next,
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
People mostly put their stuffs like personal information like car insurance....etc there.
You're right!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

To the contrary, as far as personal items go, there is no room to even fit a tampon in the glove box without the string hanging out.

The history of the shrinking glovebox is a virtual exposé on over-regulation of American's rights.

Europe has bigger glove boxes in some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Quote:
People mostly put their stuffs like personal information like car insurance....etc there.
You're right!
Appreciate 0