BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
John Ritter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 750 xi

Defective Run Flat tires

I have found my run flat tires to be defective. My 750 xi is 17 months old and i have had 4 run flat tires blow out on me. At $400+ each this is an unbelievable expense and inconvenience. I drive in NYC where the roads are sometimes uneven, but four unprecendented. In the last 30 years I've owned Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac, Nissan and Audi. Never, never did I have a blowout.

My co-worker who has a 5 series BMW had 2 run flat blowouts in the last year.

Looks like a class action suit to me. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

How often do you check your tire pressure?

The useable lifetime of your tires can be severely shortened if your tires are under-inflated all the time, especially so for RFTs!

If you have a lot of uneven roads and pot holes, etc. I would suggest you check your tire pressure more often.

I've driven cars with RFTs for over 5 years and never experienced a blow out. My wife's BMW had first generation RFTs and the original tires that came with the car had and issue where the manufacturer used the wrong rubber compound (too soft) and started to unevenly wear down. They started to make a strange noise and you could feel the uneven wear when you moved your hand over the tire (front to back and back to front felt different). Back then, the tire manufacturer offered to replace all your tires if you where below a certain mileage and replace two if you where above. My wife's car was just over the limit, so I had to pay for two, but at least they replaced two of them for free.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Actually, there is a class action on this right now. I listened to the oral argument last week out of the USCA third circuit.

The issue, among other things, is that BMW recommends that you do not repair run flats. BMW argues that for many, many years (longer than run flats have been around) BMW has always recommended against repairing tires period.

Surprisingly, neither side brought up the fact that run flats have a limited life and you can't repair them because you won't be able to determine how long a person drove on the run flat while in its flat state. Thus, your only real option is to discard the tire and not repair it.

BMW skipped over this issue at its argument! Instead, it claimed that you should not repair any tire on a high performance car run flat or not. Plus, BMW makes this recommendation for any tire used with its cars or not. Most importantly, BMW claimed that it only "recommends" against repairing run flats and talked about some shops under limited circumstances can indeed repair run flats!

So, in seeking class certification, the plaintiffs are swimming upstream. Why, because BMW is saying that there is no evidence that the run flats were defective. Since there is no defect then there is no liability on BMW's part which is required to form a class.

Finally, I was surprised to hear the BMW attorney respond to a question from the panel that BMW has no way to know how many cars were sold with run flats vs. non run flats. I thought that to be a misrepresentation. Why? In this day of litigation like we have here, one would think BMW, a master car builder, would serialize everything it's vendors supply to minimize the size and scope of any federal recalls. I can't believe that BMW has no idea what kind of tires have been supplied to a customer. I guess it's possible, but you would think BMW of all would serialize each tire in case of a recall.

So, in playing devils advocate, what makes you feel the tire is defective? The fact that you got four flats? BMW would probably say you are driving on bad roads. So, if you are driving on bad roads how is that a defect that BMW must fix? Or, are you saying the $400 per tire costs are killing your wallet. Again, what makes that a defect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ritter View Post
I have found my run flat tires to be defective. My 750 xi is 17 months old and i have had 4 run flat tires blow out on me. At $400 each this is an unbelievable expense and inconvenience. I drive in NYC where the roads are sometimes uneven, but four unprecendented. In the last 30 years I've owned Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac, Nissan and Audi. Never, never did I have a blowout.

My co-worker who has a 5 series BMW had 2 run flat blowouts in the last year.

Looks like a class action suit to me. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
John Ritter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 750 xi

Defective Run Flat tires

Everyone keeps asking if the tires are correctly inflated. The nice thing about paying an obscene amount of money for a car is having sensors that tell you when the tire is low.

The aggravation of seeing the message on the screen of the car forces me correctly inflate the tires.

The problem with these tires probably is tied into 1-tolerances between the outer tire and the inner tire required the Goodyear to reduce the sidewall thickness and strength and/or 2-with the inner run flat tire, there is a reduced volume of air between the inner and outer tire. I'm told by that Michelin doesn't make run flats for the 7 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

I don't know at what point the TPM actually triggers a message that your tires are under-inflated. But even if your tire is just under-inflated by a few PSI, that can make a big difference and I doubt that the TPM will trigger a warning until it gets to a more sever level. I wouldn't rely on JUST the TPM and do a routine tire pressure check, especially if you had a few tires fail on you so far, I would want to rule out that it isn't caused by not having enough pressure in the tires...

I always check my tire pressures with a digital pressure monitor before I go on long trips (e.g. >150miles/240km) and top them off if necessary...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0