BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Question: Anyone from Europe with a Petrol/Gasoline 7 series?

Yes I'm aware that fuel prices in Europe are more expensive than elsewhere (and I understand).

HOWEVER

It is in my understanding that since the 7 series is a flagship car for BMW, then as a owner, you have enough money to pay for expensive fuel???

Therefore as a 7 series owner (even in Europe), cost of fuel should not even be a concern.

That's like complaining that first class plane tickets are expensive. Well duh, they are expensive because the people that can pay them can afford to and the amenities of that travel class warrant said pricing.

So yes my question is:
Is there anyone here from Europe that bought a 740Li or a 750Li?

And as a follow up question:
Will there be anyone here from the EU that would consider getting an M760Li xDrive (instead of the upcoming 750D)???
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G02 X4

You are just being silly.

The fuel cost is irrelevant - the market doesn't want them thus they depreciate like a stone. So it would probably at a further 10-15k over 3 yrs to the running cost.

You can order them. BUT: No dealer stocks them, there are non to test drive, Its a vicious circle.

__________________________________________________ ________________

G02 X4 MSport X - Carbon Black w Black / Comfort Pack / Tech Pack / Privacy
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
oshevtsov
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90/E60/F10/F15/F16/F32/G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron1973
You are just being silly.

The fuel cost is irrelevant - the market doesn't want them thus they depreciate like a stone. So it would probably at a further 10-15k over 3 yrs to the running cost.

You can order them. BUT: No dealer stocks them, there are non to test drive, Its a vicious circle.
Yeap, my dealer told me 'Don't even think about petrol, or you will be the eternal owner of the car' - meaning that it will be impossible to sell it.

I went for 750d for the following reasons:

- real life consumption is 10 l/100 km. 750i would be 18-20. I am filling up once a week - this is soooo convenient;

- reliability of BMW diesels is excellent. Unlike 740i and 750i which are notorious for issues after 100K km. Often earlier;

- for 750i I would have paid higher tax at purchase (+EUR3000) and then annually (+EUR800/year), just because it is 4.4 vs 3.0 in 750d. This may vary by country though
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 12:32 AM   #4
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshevtsov View Post
Yeap, my dealer told me 'Don't even think about petrol, or you will be the eternal owner of the car' - meaning that it will be impossible to sell it.

I went for 750d for the following reasons:

- real life consumption is 10 l/100 km. 750i would be 18-20. I am filling up once a week - this is soooo convenient;

- reliability of BMW diesels is excellent. Unlike 740i and 750i which are notorious for issues after 100K km. Often earlier;

- for 750i I would have paid higher tax at purchase (+EUR3000) and then annually (+EUR800/year), just because it is 4.4 vs 3.0 in 750d. This may vary by country though
The 740i featured one of BMWs longest-serving and most durable engines, the N55B30, until this year. Now it features the B58. I'm not sure what these supposed issues are with the gasoline models, particularly the 740
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

The diesels are too good in the 7 series to not be taken into consideration.
All of them are updated and in this moment you can't find them in this configuration in other BMW model (untill the new 5 will be released).
The resale point of a large petrol engine will be so low that it makes almost no sense to buy one in Europe.
The only cars with a petrol that can have a real reason to be bought are the hot hatches or other track able cars...
The running costs for small petrol engines in inferior classes cars are better than the diesel ones, so here there is a totally different case.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thankfully here most are Petrol engines.

A Diesel in a premium segment car like the 7 or S Class is seen as cheap
      09-25-2016, 04:38 AM   #7
Hys
Poland
Rep
Drives: G11 740dX, E71 X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
(...)
A Diesel in a premium segment car like the 7 or S Class is seen as cheap
Where ? Definitely not in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #8
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hys View Post
Where ? Definitely not in Europe.
He is from South Africa

Anyways:
I guess it's mostly cultural then.

Here in the Philippines (and I reckon this applies to many parts of Asia), a huge percentage of 7 series and flagship cars are chauffeur-driven (either by a Chairman or CEO, big-time entrepreneur or an owner of a conglomerate.........or a head of state). Here, these flagship vehicles not only project the aura of prestige but also of presence, authority, wealth and power.

Where I'm from, if President or Prime Minister is spotted in a flagship sedan with a diesel engine, it only shows that either he is a cheapskate or that the government has no more budget.

So yeah, I guess it's mostly cultural and geographic.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #9
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G02 X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
He is from South Africa

Anyways:
I guess it's mostly cultural then.

Here in the Philippines (and I reckon this applies to many parts of Asia), a huge percentage of 7 series and flagship cars are chauffeur-driven (either by a Chairman or CEO, big-time entrepreneur or an owner of a conglomerate.........or a head of state). Here, these flagship vehicles not only project the aura of prestige but also of presence, authority, wealth and power.

Where I'm from, if President or Prime Minister is spotted in a flagship sedan with a diesel engine, it only shows that either he is a cheapskate or that the government has no more budget.

So yeah, I guess it's mostly cultural and geographic.

Yes that seems a common perception in the developing world (USA included).

__________________________________________________ ________________

G02 X4 MSport X - Carbon Black w Black / Comfort Pack / Tech Pack / Privacy
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron1973 View Post
Also here car diesels have mostly been around for decades in small little cars or slow off road vehicles. many of them, especially VW ones are well known for bad turbo reliability on the diesel engines. Even BMW had huge turbo problems on the E46 320d.

So its difficult to change the perception of them being smelly and for slow vehicles.

The fact that most of them are not nearly as fun to drive on twisty roads as gas engines are doesnt help either. Diesel engines tend to feel soulless on fun roads.

We also dont have legislation requiring diesel particle filters, so most diesels blow out black smoke, especially older models, and thats not something you want to see on your luxury vehicle.
      09-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
Hys
Poland
Rep
Drives: G11 740dX, E71 X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron1973 View Post
President Obama's car - Cadillac One has a diesel Duramax V8 engine
Appreciate 0