BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cool 2016 7 Series (G11) Interior Spied (New iDrive Touchscreen and Augmented Reality??!)

BIMMERPOST NEWS
2016 7 Series (G11) Interior Spied
COMMENTS

New Update - November 24, 2014:

The G11 7 Series has now been spied out and about with a production-level interior. The biggest change that we can now see compared to the previous sighting is new iDrive software. The screen shows a never before seen iDrive menu and we now also see the climate control display and controller layout.

And the biggest shocker is that the new iDrive screen will be a touchscreen!

BMW insider Scott26 shares some insight into the G11 7 Series iDrive and the new technology that it will represent for the BMW lineup.

Quote:
This is the all-new iDrive with touch-screen the high level versions also receive passenger display like the Vision Future Luxury.
This technology will also filter down to the entry 1er.

There is new technology coming with the 7er which will provide a genuine first for the segment. It's a competition after all and everyone has to bring something new and continue to innovate to attract the customer. If you are primarily concerned about one competitor and you do your best and throw a mega-huge budget to imitate rather than innovate then you change nothing. This segment is to offer luxury and innovation at the highest peak to existing and new customers everything cannot be the same.

As in BMWs case they own the high end luxury brand Rolls-Royce in which both brands can not cross-pollinate, there can and will be a bridge but they will still have additional room to co-exist.

Essentially this is about the user interface. Internet connectivity is all good and well but the deciding factor will now depend on how you deliver this information to the driver and the co-driver. ConnectedDrive is something already available in our vehicles today. This is the next development using familiar and more popular touch screen technology.

Here the driver enters a city he doesn’t know. The car is in contact with the environment picking up information about restaurants, bars and entertainment that sink into the car and are delivered to the co-pilot who gets this information on the personal display. The co-pilot can then ask for more information on events etc buy tickets on-line it so all about convenience from your car. The co-pilot then swipes this information to the driver interface, the navigation then directs the car to the destination.

The user interface will be a much more integral part of the car's interior and the challenge was to express this technology in a more conventional seamless way.

Here the driver has two screens in front of him or her that have a three-dimensional effect so that we can display information in the order of importance – the closer it gets it becomes more relevant to the driving information. Then the head up display projects information in a distance.

The head-up display uses augmented reality so that you look into the windscreen you see the city, but you see an arrow pointing into the street that you want to go into.

As illustrated by the 2011 Vision ConnectedDrive Concept.

Previous Updates:

The next generation 7 Series is due next year and while prototypes have been spotted since early 2013, the interior has not been seen until now. The major interior changes seen so far are:

Floating (non-integrated) iDrive screen
Fully digital gauges
Elevated control panel (shifter / iDrive knob) in center console
Larger shifter

Of course this is still a prototype, so what we see here is also in preproduction form, and portions of it may change for the production model.

Our previous info on the G11 7 Series:

It's no secret that BMW has been on the forefront of weight reduction in volume production vehicles. Starting with their tie-up SGL Group and development of the BMW i vehicles, they have been finding great use for carbon fibre in weight reduction. The key to this is carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP). While this highly touted material is being used in the BMW i vehicles, it has yet to make its way into a series production BMW, until now...

And so it makes sense that the BMW 7-Series (usually the most cutting edge and forward looking BMW on the tech front) will be the first series vehicle to use this magical material in key areas to reduce weight, and thereby increase efficiency. As the use of this material will be a key selling point for the new model, it makes sense that the exact weight savings will remain guarded information until we are closer to the full reveal.

Speaking at the 94th Annual General Meeting of BMW AG in Munich in May 2014, Dr. Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG again confirmed that the next generation 7 Series (G11) will make use of carbon fiber in its construction:

"BMW i is the spearhead of innovation within the company, with lightweight construction playing a central role. We are now also applying this expertise to other series models. Customers already appreciate the carbon-fibre roofs in our BMW M models. I can also reveal that we will use carbon fibre in the next BMW 7 Series. Its low weight will set a very high standard for the segment."

The 7 Series prototype now appears to wear all the production parts underneath. This car is now fitted with parts previously missing, such as a production quality polished and stylized dual oval exhaust recessed into a properly cut rear bumper, production side skirts, front bumper and large kidney grills. Fans of cohesive styling will also rejoice, it seems the hood cut line runs along with the kidney grills and headlights.

A Hot 7?
While what we see here is a "standard" 7-Series, there have been persistent rumors that this upcoming G11 7er will be the first to usher in the ///M treatment, in the form of ///M Performance. The exact engine configuration and power-output on the would be performance model is still in the realm of guesswork, but all signs have been pointing to an M770i xDrive variant. When more solid word comes, we will let you know!

Slated as a 2016 model, the next 7-Series will fall under the G11 chassis code and will likely be shown off sometime in 2015.

2016 7 Series (G11) Interior Spied - Production Level

2016 7 Series (G11) Interior Spied

Appreciate 1
      07-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

I was hoping BMW would make the new 7 interior as plush as the S Class.
Where's the X7 ?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
North Korea
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C2S/ 2013 335is E93

Garage List
Having seen the new S class last week, and thoroughly enjoying the interior appointments and refined electronics... I can say with some disappointment that the new 7 series does not seem to be in the same class as the S class. Not very impressive so far.
      07-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

I hate the fact that the screen is not in the dash but that's just what they seem to like to do on their cars now. I does have a much sportier looking interior from the spy shots.
      07-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

This is not the full interior. This is a mis-match of existing BMW interior parts standing in for final detail and finish. We still have under a year to go.
      07-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
e90Cam
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 LCI

Those taillights doe :/
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

This isn't the finished interior surely but umm not sure this is going to be any where close to what Merc did with the S class. Even the new Hyundai Genesis seems to be sporting a much better looking interior than this. Floating screens galore. Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

The F8x uses CFRP so why is this seven series touted as the first production car to do so? :
      07-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Karim Habib and his design team are not going to disappoint the new 7er is going to be impressive - they have no choice to remain competitive.
      07-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave
The F8x uses CFRP so why is this seven series touted as the first production car to do so? :
F8x is not a mass production car.
      07-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diec
Rofl you do realise its camo?!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
Markao66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i own a 14' S550 and i have to say im not impressed with the 7 series at all.
it still has the same look from the previous model ( which i traded in for my s class )
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

The interior just look like every other BMW. The new S-class is just in a different league now.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #14
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
Marketing. They need to have something good to say about the car. The good thing is it may shed some weight compared to the current generation. Whether the car's handling gets better with that or the added electronics, safety stuff, etc add more weight remains to be seen.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #15
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Fox View Post
Having seen the new S class last week, and thoroughly enjoying the interior appointments and refined electronics... I can say with some disappointment that the new 7 series does not seem to be in the same class as the S class. Not very impressive so far.
9 series for that..
      07-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

I always get a kick out of those who pass final judgement on a piecemeal interior that is VERY CLEARLY pre-production.
      07-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
Jai 302
Banned
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
9 series for that..
That has to be the most ridiculous statement ever. I guess by your logic when Merc releases the 2022 S class BMW should build an 11 series to compete with that. Rubbish.

There is no reason why BMW cannot equal or surpass what Mercedes have done with their new S class. It is this sort of eletist Mercedes way of thinking that's going to be obliterated with the debut of the carbon fiber 7 series! Can't wait for ///M770i and ///M7 to crush the S63 and 65 respectively.

If the full individual interior of the BMW 6 series is anything to go by compared to the CLS which came out a year before the 6er, the G11 will have an even better interior than the new S class. Unless of course BMW decide to cheap out like they did with the F30 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #18
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markao66 View Post
i own a 14' S550 and i have to say im not impressed with the 7 series at all.
it still has the same look from the previous model ( which i traded in for my s class )
You have X-Ray vision? WOW!
      07-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #19
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
This is a really big letdown. Even if it is mis-matched parts from other cars, it still has enough shown to make a pretty good assumption thats it's going to be dull and boring. Needs a radical new design to compete with the S-Klasse. Maybe some exotic styling would help to reach a potential broader market of consumers who end up purchasing other cars due to the neutral looks of the F01 (and possibly the new G11). It has a tachometer similar to the 2014 6-Series. The exterior styling is rather typical BMW.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #20
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diec View Post
You do realize that all BMW mules have those tail lights.....
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #21
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
You have X-Ray vision? WOW!
I don't get it. X-Ray vision?

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #22
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
Marketing. They need to have something good to say about the car. The good thing is it may shed some weight compared to the current generation. Whether the car's handling gets better with that or the added electronics, safety stuff, etc add more weight remains to be seen.
Actually this car is significant because it rolls forward the revolution of the BMWi philosophy and apply lightweight construction methods extensively than any other luxury car at a competitive price because BMW manufacture their own CFRP. Other manufacturers are years behind this philosophy.
Carbon will not only be used within the load bearing area , chassis , drivetrain ,suspension and front structure but also on the exterior.

BMW will be shouting about the weight reduction of the 7er it is that significant.
The 5er is next. The 7er also shows that they are positioning themselves for a feasible future 9er.