BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-18-2023, 09:25 PM   #1
bb1510
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mercedes Benz S63 AMG

New BMW Owner: Issues Compared to S Class - Normal?

So I got a really great deal on a leftover stock SWB G11 that's basically fully loaded in Individual Ruby Black with a Tartufo Full Merino interior. Has everything including the dynamic handling package with executive drive pro and integral active steering except for the rear touch command and rear entertainment system.

I just has some queries as I'm new to BMWs having only owned MB's my entire life.
The AC doesn't get super cold even when set to 16C and max ac
on sunny days compared to the system on an S Class, is this typical on a BMW? Should I asked the service centre to check and see if the refrigerant needs to be recharged?
Active comfort drive in Comfort Plus doesn't seem to absorb bumps as well as MB on an S Class (when I tried other vehicles, I have Airmatic on mine) and expansion joints and potholes are still quite noticeable and jarring sometimes. I read on here that it's supposed to be the same system on a RR or is it tuned differently? I'm on stock 20" wheels and the dealer swapped the RFT's for Continental ExtremeContact DWS06+'s. It's definitely not a magic carpet ride or is it not supposed to?
Is there any way to keep the auto wipers actually on auto all the time, not just auto speed?
Is there any way to set blind spot assist to beep like on an MB?
Is there any way to override auto start stop in Sport Individual to be able to turn it on? I'd like to drive with the sports exhaust, comfort plus suspension, sport steering, and auto start stop on when I'm in stop and go city driving without being in eco pro individual.
Is there any way to manually activate zoomed in areas of the 360 camera manually without being in 3d mode or waiting to drive really close to something?

Just another point of confirmation, but I did get confirmation from BMW Canada that the 8 year extended warranty for air suspension struts as well as 10 years for the active front grills are also applicable in Canada, not just the US
      08-21-2023, 09:37 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

In regard to the temp of the AC...BMW has used a stratified air system for decades that can confuse/confound owners...especially if they are not familiar with it. Make sure that your stratified air setting is adjusted correctly for the temp you desire.

Here's a link to a previous thread on this topic: https://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1885268

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 10:38 AM   #3
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Check out this thread regarding AC efficiency.

S class has always felt more softer to me, but also noticeably less engaging to drive. So much so, that the tradeoff is really not worth it for me. You gain a bit in comfort but lose way too much in handling.

I do not understand the question about the wipers. Automatic wiper mode will initiate wipers if windshield is wet and sensitivity is controlled by a dial on the wiper stalk.

Blind spot monitor will not make audible warnings. It will display the warning on your rearview mirror if someone is in your blind spot or closing in at high speed from a distance. If you start the lane change when the lane is occupied, it will flash at maximum intensity and also vibrate the wheel. Side collision prevention might also intervene in last ditch effort to prevent collision.

Are you unable to turn start-stop back on with the button? If not, then it should also be achievable by coding.

I assume you mean the view where it automatically pans to specific angle, depending on PDC input. That can't be controlled manually.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 10:29 PM   #4
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

You can definitely code the start stop to work in sport individual. Interestingly everyone on the planet wants to shut this feature off but I guess you’re the one in a million that likes it.

I almost bought the S580 for some of the same reasons why you considered it. Definitely a quieter and smoother ride but couldn’t get over the boringness of the car. I have a 16 750i and it’s a dream to drive. Also with the drivers assistance pro you don’t need to touch the wheel, the MB is a much more outdated system IMO.

I never thought of the AC to be weak like some others and I live in Florida.

Once you set the wipers to auto you don’t need to worry about it again.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 09:08 PM   #5
bb1510
Canada
Rep

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yes, I do notice the HVAC to be slightly colder by adjust the vent controls but it still isn't the freezing cold sort of feeling I get on my S Class and definitely not the soft, diffused airflow you get. The diffuse or whatever setting is already activated in iDrive.

Do any of you also notice that the laminated side glazing isn't as effective as the MB laminated glazing in terms of solar and heat attenuation? It's definitely a lot warmer on the side of my face but the MB glass is more mirrored and has a blue/green reflective tint on some days.

Suspension wise, I find the S63 suspension still to be more comfortable, is the Dynamic Handling Package suspension with active roll meant to be more of a performance/handling thing rather than suspension or it's meant to tackle both?

Regarding the suspension, when I'm turning on an onramp over this larger, specific expansion joint, the car feels like it sways laterally, no matter which drive mode I'm in. I don't think it's the RWS issue because I don't notice it in any other curves or is it a combination of both the RWS as well as the car not know whether to or not to engage the active roll bars? I don't notice it in any other vehicle with air suspension at that particular area.

The auto light on my wipers turn off every every single start, it behaves like what some others mention on the 3/4 series forum where auto only adjusts the speed when on, not auto on and off when there's rain/no rain. I have to press the auto button each time there's rain. Is this something to be checked?

Thanks!
      08-31-2023, 03:42 PM   #6
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1510 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yes, I do notice the HVAC to be slightly colder by adjust the vent controls but it still isn't the freezing cold sort of feeling I get on my S Class and definitely not the soft, diffused airflow you get. The diffuse or whatever setting is already activated in iDrive.

Do any of you also notice that the laminated side glazing isn't as effective as the MB laminated glazing in terms of solar and heat attenuation? It's definitely a lot warmer on the side of my face but the MB glass is more mirrored and has a blue/green reflective tint on some days.

Suspension wise, I find the S63 suspension still to be more comfortable, is the Dynamic Handling Package suspension with active roll meant to be more of a performance/handling thing rather than suspension or it's meant to tackle both?

Regarding the suspension, when I'm turning on an onramp over this larger, specific expansion joint, the car feels like it sways laterally, no matter which drive mode I'm in. I don't think it's the RWS issue because I don't notice it in any other curves or is it a combination of both the RWS as well as the car not know whether to or not to engage the active roll bars? I don't notice it in any other vehicle with air suspension at that particular area.

The auto light on my wipers turn off every every single start, it behaves like what some others mention on the 3/4 series forum where auto only adjusts the speed when on, not auto on and off when there's rain/no rain. I have to press the auto button each time there's rain. Is this something to be checked?

Thanks!
I don't know what is the 'diffuse or whatever' setting you refer to, but I believe you are thinking indirect ventilation, which is a different thing.

Active roll stabilization gives you the best of both worlds. It can be basically uncoupled, or very hard, and everything in between, depending on driving mode and scenario. It greatly enhances the optimal operating envelope of suspension.

Rain sension wipers wont turn off every start. Auto setting will be turned off once terminal 30g is deenergized. This means that when you get back in to car within ~15 min, before car goes to "'sleep", automatic operation will continue. If it has been longer, then why on earth would you want automatic program to engage on its own? You might have hard contamination on dry windshield or wipers frozen stuck. Initiating wipers requires evaluation that car cant perform. So disabling the auto function is by design, and in my view, only logical design. And wipers will stop wiping when there is no rain and start again when it is raining, providing the system hasn't been deactivated by you, terminal shutdown or a fault.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 10:06 PM   #7
bb1510
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
I don't know what is the 'diffuse or whatever' setting you refer to, but I believe you are thinking indirect ventilation, which is a different thing.

Active roll stabilization gives you the best of both worlds. It can be basically uncoupled, or very hard, and everything in between, depending on driving mode and scenario. It greatly enhances the optimal operating envelope of suspension.

Rain sension wipers wont turn off every start. Auto setting will be turned off once terminal 30g is deenergized. This means that when you get back in to car within ~15 min, before car goes to "'sleep", automatic operation will continue. If it has been longer, then why on earth would you want automatic program to engage on its own? You might have hard contamination on dry windshield or wipers frozen stuck. Initiating wipers requires evaluation that car cant perform. So disabling the auto function is by design, and in my view, only logical design. And wipers will stop wiping when there is no rain and start again when it is raining, providing the system hasn't been deactivated by you, terminal shutdown or a fault.

Thanks for the info, and yes I was referring to indirect ventilation which I assumed to be similar to be similar to the diffuse setting on an MB.

My service centre recharged the AC and it's really cold now.

Service centre also recalibrated/reprogrammed the suspension, not sure what they did but it's a lot more comfortable now and roll stabilization seems to be working better now.

Regarding the auto wipers, all my MB vehicles have two auto settings where you just leave it there, plus additional manual speeds. The accuracy of the rain sensor has been quite accurate without any false positives. My assumption on "auto" means automatically starting based on detection, rather than automatic speed adjustment based on manual engagement.

Would there be any way to set or code it so that it's permanently on automatic without manual intervention or activation?