BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #23
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have an appointment tomorrow. Strangely enough, I can get to the halfway point of restoring my phone using a Windows 8 machine. When I plug it into a Windows 7 machine, it actually supposedly restores the phone but when it reboots just displays the Apple logo. When I unplug it, it goes back to the message saying to connect to iTunes.

I think it's a lost cause...
Forgot to mention, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed.

If that fails, take it to an Apple store, they have really good support and will give you a new phone if something is wrong with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #24
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin View Post
Did you try a hard reset (power button and home button held down)?
I did. Nothing. I cannot recover it in iTunes, and I cannot restore it either. With the recover, it never starts the process and with restore it gets stuck halfway and errors out. Tried it multiple times. Ready to toss it out the window. I've honestly heard more issues that people are having with the 6 and the 6s than any other phone that Apple released. Looks like QC is going down the shitter.
Didn't read the whole thing. But did you try a dfu restore.

Fixes everything. More or less.

Also try a new cable. A bad cable did weird shit for me.
      11-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #25
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
So Apple has a prefect solution for your problem (cloud backups) but you make a point in disabling it and then get pissed off when you don't have a backup?

It is perfect for photos, just save the thumbnails on the phone so they don't take up any space and the rest are in iCloud so you have them accessible on all your devices.
This. I use iCloud and Google photos both. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to store photos or contacts in a "cloud" (although it's near lot unavoidable in one way or another) but when something happens it can be difficult recovering you info. I take the easy route and don't have to worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 11:29 PM   #26
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Took it to the Apple shop. They could not perform an upgrade either, but a restore did work. Pictures are lost, but phone is working again. Thanks for everyone's help.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #27
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Edit: read over your last response Good to see that did it!

Sucks.. I have had zero issues with Iphones since I started with the 3G.. 6 is the best phone ever for me.. Anyway I don't really understand why everyone here is bitching about the syncing and the cloud features when that is exactly what would've saved the pictures in the first place?

If my phone bricks I just fire up any other ipad or imac and they are right there..
Even if you don't like it you can just let it sync over wifi with Itunes now in the background..
All with literally a username and a password and maybe one or two things to check to "on"?

Anyway losing data like this usually only happens once.. sure you'll take more precautions next time About the phone not even wanting to restore that is really strange.. Take it in to the store they might be able to get some data off of it or even to reboot it.. no harm in trying! If you didn't have any data on it I'd just advice to do the whole hold this button for x seconds etc hard reset!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #28
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Hold on. Perhaps I missed this. But I can sync my phone to my PC over WiFi?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:56 AM   #29
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
I do it with Dropbox. But how about getting a synology diskstation and using their file or photo app to automatically sync it to the diskstation?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #30
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Yes. I think USB works better but you can sync over wifi.
      11-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #31
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I do it with Dropbox. But how about getting a synology diskstation and using their file or photo app to automatically sync it to the diskstation?
True. I need to invest in one. Started looking at them a while ago to perhaps control my security cameras, but went another route and sort of forgot about them.
Appreciate 0