BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Critique my Italy itinerary please

Here is my rough outline. Please let me know if I should use a different city as a home base or if I should add/subtract days. I'm trying to keep cost at a minimum. All stays will be through AirBNB averaging $40-45 a night.

I could always leave the US a day or two later so there is no gap in Milan.

Only constraint is that I must fly to Iceland from Amsterdam on Nov 27th.

Nov 10th-14th- Land in Rome in the morning of 10th and take train to Florence morning of the 14th

Nov 14th-19th- Florence with day trips to Pisa, Chianti, Fesiole, etc.

Nov 19th-21st- Venice (train from Florence over to Venice)

Nov 21st- train from Venice to Milan

Not sure about between now and the 23rd...

Nov 23rd-27th- fly from Milan to Amsterdam ($40) on 23rd and spending 4 nights there

Nov 27th- Dec 2nd- fly to Iceland on 27th and spend 5 days there

Dec 2nd - Dec 4th- fly to London from Iceland early morning; spend 2 nights in London and then fly home on the 4th
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Being in Florence and so close, I quess I am biased towards including the Sienna, Montpulciano, Montalcino areas of Tuscany - beautiful with excellent vineyards etc. - but can't do everything on that list so something would have to be given up of course and limited time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Here is my rough outline. Please let me know if I should use a different city as a home base or if I should add/subtract days. I'm trying to keep cost at a minimum. All stays will be through AirBNB averaging $40-45 a night.

I could always leave the US a day or two later so there is no gap in Milan.

Only constraint is that I must fly to Iceland from Amsterdam on Nov 27th.

Nov 10th-14th- Land in Rome in the morning of 10th and take train to Florence morning of the 14th

Nov 14th-19th- Florence with day trips to Pisa, Chianti, Fesiole, etc.

Nov 19th-21st- Venice (train from Florence over to Venice)

Nov 21st- train from Venice to Milan

Not sure about between now and the 23rd...

Nov 23rd-27th- fly from Milan to Amsterdam ($40) on 23rd and spending 4 nights there

Nov 27th- Dec 2nd- fly to Iceland on 27th and spend 5 days there

Dec 2nd - Dec 4th- fly to London from Iceland early morning; spend 2 nights in London and then fly home on the 4th
      11-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

No visit to Modena? If I knew where you lived, I'd come over and flog you...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Being in Florence and so close, I quess I am biased towards including the Sienna, Montpulciano, Montalcino areas of Tuscany - beautiful with excellent vineyards etc. - but can't do everything on that list so something would have to be given up of course and limited time!
I could spend 2-3 more days in Florence (or spend those days in the countryside of Florence). I think waking up in the morning in wine country would be cool for a few days. Not sure if Florence is too busy of a city to be spending an entire week there as a home base.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
No visit to Modena? If I knew where you lived, I'd come over and flog you...
I think I'm going to save all the car stuff next time I do ED.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
I could spend 2-3 more days in Florence (or spend those days in the countryside of Florence). I think waking up in the morning in wine country would be cool for a few days. Not sure if Florence is too busy of a city to be spending an entire week there as a home base.
I was gonna say less time in Florence but you're in no rush and we already know I move around too fast for your taste
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
I was gonna say less time in Florence but you're in no rush and we already know I move around too fast for your taste
Not sure where else I would go if I cut down on Florence. I could always save Venice for next time when it's warmer (it's 57* this time of year).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Not sure where else I would go if I cut down on Florence. I could always save Venice for next time when it's warmer (it's 57* this time of year).
If you haven't seen Venice, just go now.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Get out of the big cities and into the country. Drive, get lost, see some cool shit, get found, get lost again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Visit the wine regions for sure. The drive from Lucca to Maranello on the B roads is pretty spectacular.

Cinque Terre is also pretty awesome.
Appreciate 2
      11-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Get out of the big cities and into the country. Drive, get lost, see some cool shit, get found, get lost again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Cinque Terre is also pretty awesome.
I heard cinque terre is just alright- not much to see and do besides hiking. Also, isn't it a little out of the way from Florence?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I heard cinque terre is just alright- not much to see and do besides hiking. Also, isn't it a little out of the way from Florence?
Good hiking going from one town to the next. Lots of restaurants. Just stroll and enjoy life.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #12
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

More Rome and less Florence. Rome is massive and incredibly interesting, there is so, so much to do. Florence is beautiful but far less difficult to navigate and discover.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #13
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '94 Supra TT 6MT, '15 MW M4

^^ Sorry I disagree.

Florence is beautiful. Rome is amazing as well, however busy and congested.

Venice is incredible, however after 2 days you've pretty much seen the whole place. There are some really cool islands to visit where they blow incredible glass sculptures etc. (Murano). That being said, I could see venice being quite cold if the weather is not in your favour, plus, you need to hit the time right as it floods regularly as well and you are stuck walking with piles of people on these upstand walk ways so you are not standing in 4" of water....

We stayed in Maranello for a portion, which is an amazing little town, and close to both Modena, and Bologna. You are already over there, it is worth the visit to Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Also, while in the between Rome-Florence area, visit Sienna and Greve in Chianti. Both incredible little towns with a TON of history and amazing views of the Tuscany hills and vinyards.

I personally enjoyed this side of the trip much more than the overcrowded expensive touristy stuff.

Last edited by 2HIGH~PSI; 11-04-2015 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #14
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Rome is a trip by itself. You could stay there 2 weeks and find amazing things everyday.
I have gone 3 times in Italy. Never been South of Rome... Next time.

As someone else noted Tuscany (Florence, Sienna, Montelpulciano etc) especially if you like wine.

Venice has to be seen. Including Murano.
You could go to Verona for a day trip.

Pisa is a piece of crap. You want to go. You go. You hate that you went.

Cinque Terre is great.

Don't spend too much (any) time in Milan. Go only if you are in the Fashion Industry.

If you can go higher north... The Lakes region (Como, Maggiore, Lugano) is beautiful also... but you are getting late in the season I think.

I like the previous idea of "drive, get lost, discover, drive more, get lost again, discover more" but a basic knowledge of the italian language would be helpful in this setting.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #15
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HIGH~PSI View Post
^^ Sorry I disagree.

Florence is beautiful. Rome is amazing as well, however busy and congested.

Venice is incredible, however after 2 days you've pretty much seen the whole place. There are some really cool islands to visit where they blow incredible glass sculptures etc. (Murano). That being said, I could see venice being quite cold if the weather is not in your favour, plus, you need to hit the time right as it floods regularly as well and you are stuck walking with piles of people on these upstand walk ways so you are not standing in 4" of water....

We stayed in Maranello for a portion, which is an amazing little town, and close to both Modena, and Bologna. You are already over there, it is worth the visit to Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Also, while in the between Rome-Florence area, visit Sienna and Greve in Chianti. Both incredible little towns with a TON of history and amazing views of the Tuscany hills and vinyards.

I personally enjoyed this side of the trip much more than the overcrowded expensive touristy stuff.
Perhaps I can skip Venice and save it for next time? Perhaps when I do ED again.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #16
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Rome is a trip by itself. You could stay there 2 weeks and find amazing things everyday.
I have gone 3 times in Italy. Never been South of Rome... Next time.

As someone else noted Tuscany (Florence, Sienna, Montelpulciano etc) especially if you like wine.

Venice has to be seen. Including Murano.
You could go to Verona for a day trip.

Cinque Terre is great.

Don't spend too much (any) time in Milan. Go only if you are in the Fashion Industry.

If you can go higher north... The Lakes region (Como, Maggiore, Lugano) is beautiful also... but you are getting late in the season I think.

I like the previous idea of "drive, get lost, discover, drive more, get lost again, discover more" but a basic knowledge of the italian language would be helpful in this setting.
I do like wine and want to go somewhere leisurely so probably will spend more time in the countryside region. I'm only going to Milan to catch a flight to Amsterdam. It is much cheaper there than else where ($40 compared to $120 from Florence and Venice).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #17
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post

So true. Saw the tower (the chapel is much more impressive) and left. Oh, did see the "Monster Trucks of Pisa" HA HA. Luckily it was just a quick stop between Cinque Terre and Maranello.

Tuscany ..... is..........just..........breathtaking! You can just sit and stare at the scenery all day and never take it all in. One of my favourite days in Italy was staying at an agritourismo near Rufina. Note: Staying at an Agro can be much cheaper than staying at hotels in the city.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 11-04-2015 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #18
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
I'm trying to keep cost at a minimum.
First mistake.

But I'm guessing being from California and being able to take a month to travel to Europe on a budget, you're unemployed.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #19
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335
Quote:
I'm trying to keep cost at a minimum.
First mistake.

But I'm guessing being from California and being able to take a month to travel to Europe on a budget, you're unemployed.
Yes, recently quit my job and have been traveling for a while. Just came back from a month in Vietnam, Thailand, and Japan last week.

Recently turned 30 as well so I said the hell with it and do it while I can. I'm all for splurging now and then but 2 months of splurging would leave me broke as a joke. Lol. Besides, you don't need to splurge to enjoy the destination.

PS- the pix below was taken atop the hotel where I stayed at in Vietnam. After 2 weeks or staying in AirBNB places and 3 star hotels, I decided to stay in one of the nicest hotels in Da Nang. It was expensive but worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #20
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Rooftop infinity pool in Vietnam
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #21
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Yes, recently quit my job and have been traveling for a while.
The cost of doing that is going to be incredible. Way more than you calculated.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #22
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
The cost of doing that is going to be incredible. Way more than you calculated.
It's actually not too bad and is in line with what I thought it would be. My trip to Asia was less than $2k including flight. I estimate about the same for this Euro trip (a little more since I'm doing Iceland as well). I have a hook up on flights so the flight from Amsterdam to Iceland actually costs more than RT from Cali to Italy. Lol

Gotta say though. I now understand why people like backpacking through Asia. It is so damn cheap! You can have a huge breakfast/lunch with appetizer, a nice papaya salad, an entree, dessert, AND a bag of fresh fruits for about $7-8 in Thailand.

Last edited by BMW F22; 11-04-2015 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0