BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #23
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Congratulations and best of luck! I think you will do OK here in the bay area. Good move on not planning on getting a new car because you wont be able to afford it (unless you are one of fhose genius getting $300k-$500k a year).
I moved here about 4 years ago from the East Coast and things are very expensive here. We live in the Peninsula area and paying $3,500/month for rent. State income tax is over 9%, so is sale tax, plus ultilities, insurance and such add up quickly. The wife and i are making decent money so we are not struggling per say but definitely not saving much for the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #24
catchm3ifyoucann
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Congratulations and best of luck! I think you will do OK here in the bay area. Good move on not planning on getting a new car because you wont be able to afford it (unless you are one of fhose genius getting $300k-$500k a year).
I moved here about 4 years ago from the East Coast and things are very expensive here. We live in the Peninsula area and paying $3,500/month for rent. State income tax is over 9%, so is sale tax, plus ultilities, insurance and such add up quickly. The wife and i are making decent money so we are not struggling per say but definitely not saving much for the future.

Thank you very much mate! I'm going to need it. First year will be tough but I understand nothing comes easy in life, with that said I'm considering even getting a night time job to help drive down expenses of the move. I'm young so I don't mind working crazy hours.

$3,500 is crazy for rent and here I am complaining about paying a half that!

Before my offer for work in tech, I had an offer to work in Florida. $1,500 gets you a house in Florida while you are lucky to get a your own apartment for that in SV .
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 07:37 AM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchm3ifyoucann View Post
Thank you for everyone that responded to my PMs. Helped to answer all questions that I had. Very excited to be starting my career in the tech industry. It is a blessing to be offered a job in the field that I want (graduated in May). Took many interviews and rejections but I was determined to not give up. Going to be placing all car plans on hold, and going to keep my 06 Honda Accord (bought it at 54k miles now at 131k).

Most people my age as soon as they get a salary go out to lease / buy a 50k+ car. It would be idiotic to purchase a high end vehicle at my age, instead I will be re-investing in my education (hoping to start my MBA while in Cali), and pay off my loans. As much as it kills me not to have a m3, s4, etc like most of my friends do, I work hard for my money and it would a shame to waste it on a car at this point in my life. If anyone in the tech industry wants to network please send me a PM. Would love to meet fellow car enthusiasts in the Bay Area.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchm3ifyoucann View Post
Thank you very much mate! I'm going to need it. First year will be tough but I understand nothing comes easy in life, with that said I'm considering even getting a night time job to help drive down expenses of the move. I'm young so I don't mind working crazy hours.

$3,500 is crazy for rent and here I am complaining about paying a half that!

Before my offer for work in tech, I had an offer to work in Florida. $1,500 gets you a house in Florida while you are lucky to get a your own apartment for that in SV .
There's no shame in driving around in a "lesser" car. Those that know better will actually respect you more for recognizing your financial situation rather than living for the moment. For years, I had the income to buy a really nice car but kept driving around in econoboxes. There's something to be said about being able to pay off your car in a year or less with zero down and then not having car payments for 5+ years. My 135i is my first really nice car and I figured at this stage in life...why not.

As you've seen housing costs can vary wildly depending on where you are in the country. But don't discount Florida being a cheap state to live in. I was shocked at how much houses go for in the Ponte Vedra area. I was down there for business and happened to drive by a really nice housing development. I looked up the prices on line and was shocked at the asking prices starting at $750,000. But I was told that's the norm there especially in the gated golf communities.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #26
catchm3ifyoucann
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
There's no shame in driving around in a "lesser" car. Those that know better will actually respect you more for recognizing your financial situation rather than living for the moment. For years, I had the income to buy a really nice car but kept driving around in econoboxes. There's something to be said about being able to pay off your car in a year or less with zero down and then not having car payments for 5+ years. My 135i is my first really nice car and I figured at this stage in life...why not.

As you've seen housing costs can vary wildly depending on where you are in the country. But don't discount Florida being a cheap state to live in. I was shocked at how much houses go for in the Ponte Vedra area. I was down there for business and happened to drive by a really nice housing development. I looked up the prices on line and was shocked at the asking prices starting at $750,000. But I was told that's the norm there especially in the gated golf communities.
You're right there is no shame, but sometimes I wish I could be driving what most of my friends are in (some twenty something year olds on here are in m3s), on the other hand I have paid of my car and it is amazing not having a car payment. There also is a part of me that wants to keep my Accord, its my first and only car I've ever owned, I'm attached to it lol. I worked hard to pay it off and to me it symbolizes that if you work hard you can achieve any goal you may have (as corny as it sounds).

I hope that when the time is right in the future I'll get into a nice car, but for the moment my priorities are work & school. Currently living in the northeast until I make my move to SV, and its amazing how the cost of living and home prices here differ from the South.
Appreciate 0