BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #23
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Any time in the next two months.
I hate to tell you but August / September are probably the worst months to visit South Florida. Ridiculously hot and humid with high chance of rain pretty much daily and it is the peak of hurricane season (although we've been pretty lucky for quite a while now). It does not cool off in September here. I'd wait until at least late October or November to consider coming down. Of course hotel rates will creep up by then but the weather should be better and it won't be peak tourist season yet, when rates are highest.

I am looking forward to traveling to Asheville, NC for a few days of R&R and (ironically) to Ontario in a few weeks for business to get out of this weather for a while.

It is ultimately a great destination but as you are trying to do, find the right time and the right place to stay for your interests. There is plenty to do for anyone with just about any interest (other than mountain climbing or skiing). The suggestions in this thread have a fairly common theme so hopefully we have helped at least a little.
      08-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #24
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Thanks for the head sup. I am Australian though so I know hot and sticky, the mrs seems to want warmer and warmer weather so why we live in Toronto is fucking beyond me but i digress.

Truth be told this is clearly about her rather than me so i will just ensure we don't screw it up.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #25
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I hate to tell you but August / September are probably the worst months to visit South Florida. Ridiculously hot and humid with high chance of rain pretty much daily and it is the peak of hurricane season (although we've been pretty lucky for quite a while now). It does not cool off in September here. I'd wait until at least late October or November to consider coming down. Of course hotel rates will creep up by then but the weather should be better and it won't be peak tourist season yet, when rates are highest.

There's definitely something to be said for not going on vacation to South Florida (or any part of Florida for that matter) during hurricane (cyclone) season. On the other hand, one surely will have great stories to tell upon returning home.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #26
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Mrs is due mid january, would prefer not to fly in the last trimester.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #27
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Mrs and i have our 10 year anniversary coming up as well as a second sprog on the way so are looking to head somewhere warmish for a quick 4 or 5 day getaway. Mrs chose Miami which sounds as good as anywhere frankly.

We will have three full days tops, maybe as little as two. Any advice on where to stay and what to do? To be more accurate, i am struggling to get my head around where it would be nice to stroll around, as in is it downtown or Miami beach and if so, where do the good times end and the shifty neighbourhoods start?

We cannot walk forever as she is getting kind of round but a few hours a day is doable.

I was thinking finding a place somewhere in Miami beach that is walking distance to a beach then take it from there. If i keep it that simple though, where does "strolability" begin and end?
My personal advice as someone who has traveled there (so from a Visitor NOT a resident perspective) many times. With the fellas and with my wife.

1. Avoid South Beach! Sure it's trendy and what one most thinks of with Miami but it's also too congested. Way over priced as far as food and alcohol portions go. And generally unromantic.

With that being said, my recommendation is to stay in Coconut Grove. Much quieter BUT has plenty of "social activities" and plenty of great eating and shopping! Be sure and check out Green Street Cafe which is one of our favorites.
      08-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #28
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Well seems I was wrong, $300 a night gets you a dive. Jesus it's fuck off expensive and i am Australian, land of the expensive everything.

TX i'd like to go somewhere quieter but I cannot see the mrs buying it, i'll just grit my teeth and get through it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #29
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am gonna spend $300 a night on a hotel aren't I. Bleh. By the time I factor in flights, hotel, food, drinks and the exchange we are out near $4K. Fantastic. i'd prefer to spend that on renting a nice car (say a Boxster S for some topless fun) and driving somewhere nicebut Toronto sucks arse for "somewhere nice", there really is nowhere to go.

I guess I just need to narrow it down to a place that allows us to walk to the beach as well as stroll about a little, I don't want to be in an area that is too quiet.
  • Niagra Falls? I think Niagra is a popular honeymoon destination. Wouldn't it be good for an anniversary too?
  • Glenmere Resort in Chester, NY. It's literally next door to Florida, NY. You can probably throw a stone from Chester into Florida, NY. That way, you would still get to Florida if you want to. (JK, but it is within about 10 miles.)

Glenmere Resort

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #30
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
There's definitely something to be said for not going on vacation to South Florida (or any part of Florida for that matter) during hurricane (cyclone) season. On the other hand, one surely will have great stories to tell upon returning home.

All the best.
We went to Playa del Carmen in hurricane season because cheap. No wild stories just humid as hell, but cheap.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #31
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Any time in the next two months.
Congrats on both anni and the baby! I'm actually heading down there with the mrs in a couple weeks. We'll be in South Beach.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #32
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
We went to Playa del Carmen in hurricane season because cheap. No wild stories just humid as hell, but cheap.
It's not a bad bet to make and the savings are well worth it if it pans out well.

I can live with the humidity, in part because D.C.'s got plenty of it, so I'm used to it. In fact, I rather prefer D.C.'s warm, humid, summer nights to Los Angeles' chilly, dry ones. When I first worked in L.A., I used to go out after work to a restaurant wearing a light linen shirt and shorts and then leave the place and find myself shivering and feeling like it was freezing cold. I learned how to dress for the weather, but I still prefer warm, balmy nights.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #33
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
It's not a bad bet to make and the savings are well worth it if it pans out well.

I can live with the humidity, in part because D.C.'s got plenty of it, so I'm used to it. In fact, I rather prefer D.C.'s warm, humid, summer nights to Los Angeles' chilly, dry ones. When I first worked in L.A., I used to go out after work to a restaurant wearing a light linen shirt and shorts and then leave the place and find myself shivering and feeling like it was freezing cold. I learned how to dress for the weather, but I still prefer warm, balmy nights.

All the best.
Not sure which part of LA you were in, but it's typically upper 70's low 80's during the summer out here.

And Florida...looks like Erika might be putting a damper on things within the next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #34
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
Not sure which part of LA you were in, but it's typically upper 70's low 80's during the summer out here.

And Florida...looks like Erika might be putting a damper on things within the next week or so.
Mostly Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, The Valley, Malibu and Bel Air.

Look at the night time lows:
I'm not saying it's unpleasant; I'm saying it feels cold when all one has on is shorts and a very thin shirt.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #35
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Well, that was quite something. Stayed on South Beach, got exactly what i expected. Never seen so much silicone in my life, quite remarkable. If you're a single guy, it's a buffet out there, as a married bloke with a very pregnant wife it was a touch odd to be there.

Biggest shock is the sticker price of everything, not to mention the stupid, stupid, stupid US obsession with tipping for everything which is compounded by the compulsory 18% gratuity and then the guilting for "additional tip". What a fucking scam, just pay them a proper wage ffs.

Was great to relax without jnr wanting our undivided attention but yeah, should have went elsewhere, mrs seemed to like it though.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #36
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, that was quite something. Stayed on South Beach, got exactly what i expected. Never seen so much silicone in my life, quite remarkable. If you're a single guy, it's a buffet out there, as a married bloke with a very pregnant wife it was a touch odd to be there.

Biggest shock is the sticker price of everything, not to mention the stupid, stupid, stupid US obsession with tipping for everything which is compounded by the compulsory 18% gratuity and then the guilting for "additional tip". What a fucking scam, just pay them a proper wage ffs.

Was great to relax without jnr wanting our undivided attention but yeah, should have went elsewhere, mrs seemed to like it though.
Where'd you end up staying? We stayed at SLS south beach...was amazing. Can stay in the water all day.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #37
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
Where'd you end up staying? We stayed at SLS south beach...was amazing. Can stay in the water all day.
Long story but the spousal unit wanted balcony with ocean view and the only one left under $700CDn a night was The Shore Club. I should have booked the Lowes with a view but no balcony.

SLS was a fucking fiasco, christ, eat my own hand before setting foot anywhere near their garden/pool area.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #38
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Long story but the spousal unit wanted balcony with ocean view and the only one left under $700CDn a night was The Shore Club. I should have booked the Lowes with a view but no balcony.

SLS was a fucking fiasco, christ, eat my own hand before setting foot anywhere near their garden/pool area.
Honestly I don't know what people see in South Beach. For that kinda dough you can get an amazing beach front villa in Mexico or the Caribbean. Plus you have the added bonus of not having to deal with the South Beach crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I would stay on South Beach, but you would have to pay me the $700/night.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #39
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Honestly I don't know what people see in South Beach. For that kinda dough you can get an amazing beach front villa in Mexico or the Caribbean. Plus you have the added bonus of not having to deal with the South Beach crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I would stay on South Beach, but you would have to pay me the $700/night.
That's what i said. We could have gone to St marteen for a full week for the same money, 5 star all class facility rather than hang with a bunch of tools. We did not have the baby sitting for 8 days though, that was our issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #40
sometorque
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Miami Beach-

South Beach / Ocean Dr / Collins Ave towards Ocean dr
Lincoln Rd
Espanola Way
Star Island / Hibiscus Island (Just to see)

Miami -
Brickell / Bayside
Wynwood / Midtown / Miami Design District
Coral Gables / Village at Merrick Park / Biltmore / Coconut Grove

Key Biscayne

Google all of these things and see what you like... all of these areas are very safe. I would say Miami all in is very safe in the touristry areas. Ghetto is overtown, downtown and moving towards FT lauderdale / west of I95.

Pretty much covers it.

I just moved north to Boca Raton, but was previously living in Coral Gables and worked in Brickell and spent all my life in the Miami area. All the "tourist" stuff is going to be on Miami Beach. The broken shaker and the news cafe were my favorite spots out on the beach. It's nice out there, but you tend to get nickel and dimed on south beach, so be careful

I'd heed the suggestion to go a bit more north if you're looking for something a bit more relaxing. Wynwood looks sketchy at first glance, but it's a great place to go explore (Joeys for dinner and Wood or Bardot for after dinner shenanigans is always a good bet)

Gables has plenty to do as well. The Bar/The Local were my walking distance spots for several years (lived a few blocks north all through my early - mid 20's). Plenty of places on Miracle Mile that you could check out. Venetian pools in the gables is a nice spot too, but tends to get packed quickly.

Brickell has plenty to do too. Fado and Blue Martini will probably be the main attractions around there.

All three locations are very walkable. You'd have a good time down here without a doubt. I'm up in boca raton (about an hour north) but I sometimes miss the madness of Miami.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #41
sometorque
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

Pretty much this. I'd never stay out there. I lived about 15 minutes away and it was fun head out there every so often to enjoy the sheer f*ckery of it all, but a day or two is enough. Anything more is overkill.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #42
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

hahahah
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #43
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

some very solid info in here.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #44
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

That's the ONLY place I ever went where a legit business (rather high end place) ripped off my credit card info.

The reason I know, is that on business, I use a certain card for dining, a business card for everything else. It was a short trip and so I used the card at only one restaurant. Next thing you know I am getting a call stating they declined a charge in some strange country, did I make that charge....
Appreciate 0