BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

I'm really proud of the American Car Companies, right now

The Dodge Challenger is a drop dead gorgeous GT, makes every German in the class look soft.

The Camaro Z/28, an amazing pratical sports car that'll spank the M4 around the track.

The new Mustang GT350 sounds very promising.

Your thoughts...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Well on the other side of the coin, how proud of GM are you now that they're shuttering Holden?

Ford is on the up and up.

GM is losing Holden which I think is tragic.

The Chrysler offerings are pretty good IMO and I like how they do it their way.

There is not a dearth of great cars out there now, especially from American automakers.

Last edited by ragingclue; 11-21-2014 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Seems to me GM has some pretty good reasons for dropping Holden.

http://mobile.news.com.au/finance/au...-1227045550221

http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/why...37926356247afa

http://m.bbc.com/news/business-26150990

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 11-20-2014 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

They could have at least fought to keep Holden alive (although they had little choice in the end). I never blamed GM for Australia's problems. Holden's line was great, GM couldn't run a mod line like that and had to learn from them, as did many others. Actually GM was originally conspicuously absent from observing the method while a bunch of other carmakers took note and benefited greatly.

It's killing a car culture down there, hard to see.

I hope the world has fun with the Insignia that will replace the VF.

Last edited by ragingclue; 11-21-2014 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 04:43 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

My thoughts are you left out Cadillac. But this is a BMW fanboy site that reads about other cars but doesn't go drive them.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #6
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Yeah Cadillac has been pretty surprising lately. They're making good cars these days, seems not too long ago their lineup was pretty bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
My thoughts are you left out Cadillac. But this is a BMW fanboy site that reads about other cars but doesn't go drive them.
I autocrossed a 2012 Mustang GT and I own a Jeep GC, i dont know if that qualifies?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
The Dodge Challenger is a drop dead gorgeous GT, makes every German in the class look soft.
No, it makes everything German in the class looks like it was designed in this millennia. Yeah the Hellcat is GREAT for roasting tires...that's about it. Then, in every other form, it's just a lead sled that doesn't do very much, besides sit on cruise control at 85 MPH on I-10 in Far West Texas, well.

Quote:
The Camaro Z/28, an amazing pratical sports car that'll spank the M4 around the track.
For that price ($72K+), I'll take the M3/M4 (or a CTS-V Sedan\Coupe) that has options that Camaro doesn't for ~ the same price and be slower...because, dollar for dollar, that's the definition of "practical". I'll bet the farm I'll be able to count the number of Z28 buyers that will use it for it's intended purpose on two hands. I'll also bet the farm that I'll be able to count the number of Z28 buyers who could actually drive one around a road course on one hand. The same can be said for M3/M4 buyers, so that argument is just a non-starter and, at the same time, negates your above quoted statement.

Quote:
We'll see...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
No, it makes everything German in the class looks like it was designed in this millennia. Yeah the Hellcat is GREAT for roasting tires...that's about it. Then, in every other form, it's just a lead sled that doesn't do very much, besides sit on cruise control at 85 MPH on I-10 in Far West Texas, well.

Quote:
For that price ($72K+), I'll take the M3/M4 (or a CTS-V Sedan\Coupe) that has options that Camaro doesn't for ~ the same price and be slower...because, dollar for dollar, that's the definition of "practical". I'll bet the farm I'll be able to count the number of Z28 buyers that will use it for it's intended purpose on two hands. I'll also bet the farm that I'll be able to count the number of Z28 buyers who could actually drive one around a road course on one hand. The same can be said for M3/M4 buyers, so that argument is just a non-starter and, at the same time, negates your above quoted statement.

Quote:
We'll see...
Negative Nancy over here.
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

C7 Z06...enough said.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
C7 Z06...enough said.
Definitely worth being proud of, I agree.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I agree with this thread. For the first time in my life, I own an American car and I love it. Our 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi is an awesome vehicle and represents an unrivaled value. I also came very close to getting a Rubicon Hard Rock as my new daily but opted for a VW CC R-Line instead (easier to drive and far more economical).

I think brands like Cadillac and Buick (can't believe I'm saying this) are producing some great looking cars! I would love to get my hands on a CTS-V wagon as well. I LOVE those cars.

When I took my Lotus to Lime Rock a few years back, the car that stood out to me the most as being the biggest track beast was a Z06. That thing rocked on track.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

To the genius that says the Hellcat isn't good for much of anything.
You have absolutely zero clue what you are talking about. Oh wait.
It's heavy so it can't do anything.
Baaaanp. Wrong.
Take a minute to watch and or read the reviews.
It was .7 slower than a zl1 on one track test.
It is getting great press so I'm just curious as to where your knowledge is based from.

60ish grand. 8 speed torqueflite or 6 speed.
Tech all around. Comfortable. Huge trunk.
Trapping better than a turbo s and gtr nismo ain't bad either.

I've owned nearly 30 vehicles with about an even slice of American, Japanese and German. Autos, manuals, heavy to lightweight.
The thread is aimed at saluting the progress being made.
Enthusiasts!

Last edited by gonzo; 11-21-2014 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
C7 Z06...enough said.
+1

A lot of great cars being produced by the big 3 and in most segments. I was never a fan of the Escslade but the new one looks pretty good.

The new Suburban even with a price tag over $72k, are selling like hot cakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
To the genius that says the Hellcat isn't good for much of anything.
You have absolutely zero clue what you are talking about. Oh wait.
It's heavy so it can't do anything.
Baaaanp. Wrong.
Take a minute to watch and or read the reviews.
It was .7 slower than a zl1 on one track test.
It is getting great press so I'm just curious as to where your knowledge is based from.
Wow, it was still outperformed by a car 2 yrs. older than it in a single track test. That's impressive.
Forget the Hellcat for min. What about the models that aren't the Hellcat (that I also pointed out) that most people will buy? Yeah, useless lead sleds...

Quote:
60ish grand. 8 speed torqueflite or 6 speed.
Tech all around. Comfortable. Huge trunk.
Trapping better than a turbo s and gtr nismo ain't bad either.
Tech that's been in several types of cars for YEARS now. And I guess it's trunk space has something to do with it's performance? It traps better than a Turbo S...what else does it do better than GTR and/or a Turbo S? I guess no other car in that price range has had or currently has an 8 speed transmission...oh wait year there are\have been. Again, impressive.
Quote:
I've owned nearly 30 vehicles with about an even slice of American, Japanese and German. Autos, manuals, heavy to lightweight.
Well, I guess that makes you God.

Quote:
The thread is aimed at saluting the progress being made.
Enthusiasts![/
No, he asked for points of view and opinions. Go READ the first post. "Enthusiasts", yep, as soon as you disagree with the majority, you're no longer one...

NOTE: I agree Americans are making progress, there are just some items that will be listed in this thread that I don't agree represent progress. The Challenger is one. Get over it.

Last edited by davis449; 11-21-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #16
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post

We'll see...
Hellcat actually performs better than you would think.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...he-motown-mile

The M3/4 isn't meant to compete with the z/28 despite popular opinion. Z/28 is a car you can track lap after lap after lap and get consistent impresive results. You want to compare the M3/4, compare it to the zl1 which is almost identical in performance and $20k cheaper.

GT350 will also be a competitor to the M3/4 using e9x sports car ingredients.

ATS-V will also be a competitor to the M3/4 using f8x sports car ingredients.

Best of both worlds if you ask me, good times!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #17
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

What's really cool about Chrysler is that the same company makes Hellcat and 4C. It shows they can cover many different segments and deliver fun cars at both ends.

Chevy - C7/Z06, Z28, ZL1, CTS/V, ATS/V ...

Ford - GT350, 500, ST

I probably missed some but damn besides Porsche and AMG it seems Germans are spending their time eating bratwurst and developing next gen active sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #18
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Wow, it was still outperformed by a car 2 yrs. older than it in a single track test. That's impressive.
Forget the Hellcat for min. What about the models that aren't the Hellcat (that I also pointed out) that most people will buy? Yeah, useless lead sleds...

Tech that's been in several types of cars for YEARS now. And I guess it's trunk space has something to do with it's performance? It traps better than a Turbo S...what else does it do better than GTR and/or a Turbo S? I guess no other car in that price range has had or currently has an 8 speed transmission...oh wait year there are\have been. Again, impressive.

No, he asked for points of view and opinions. Go READ the first post. "Enthusiasts", yep, as soon as you disagree with the majority, you're no longer one...
I'd choose the Hellcat over a $90k BMW 650i. It makes the 650i look like a boring, old man's car, design wise and in driving pleasure. No?

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #19
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
What's really cool about Chrysler is that the same company makes Hellcat and 4C. It shows they can cover many different segments and deliver fun cars at both ends.
Yeah, except Chrysler doesn't make the 4C. My beef with Chrysler in this thread, overall, is it (overall) being considered wholly "American", because it just isn't.

Also, before anyone goes all apeshit about "parts" in various cars from various manufacturers being sourced from all over the world, that's not what I'm talking about. When speaking of Chrysler, you are speaking of a SUBSIDIARY co. of Fiat, unlike GM and Ford.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
So I guess Jaguar and Land Rover are Indian car manufacturers now...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #21
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:

NOTE: I agree Americans are making progress, there are just some items that will be listed in this thread that I don't agree represent progress. The Challenger is one. Get over it.
Thanks.
I have received total consiousness. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
      11-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Gunga lagungala.

Appreciate 0