BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

04-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
MKBMF01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i f01

Is it worth getting brakes aftermarket?

I recently gave my car for service about the brakes, the dealer measured them and at only 35k miles he is suggesting to change all 4 brake pads and rotors. the quote he gave me was for $2000. My question is that should i get the brakes from dealer, or get the parts online and then get it done at local kauffman tire, or just get everything from kauffman tire, parts being aftermarket and not OEM. Please suggest me a way to go on these are they any different if i get it aftermarket or is it necessary to get from dealer. Thank You in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

I can't speak specifically for the 7 series brakes but I can offer some insight on brakes in "general."

First of all it seems unlikely that you need to replace your rotors at 35k miles.
Of course it all depends on your driving habits but normally pads last around 20-30k miles while rotors should last twice as long (basically you should only need to replace the rotors with every 2nd brake pad replacement).

But let's say you do need to replace both rotors and pads....you have several options.

1. Have the dealer do the work
2. Purchase the OEM parts from the dealer
3. Purchase OEM parts from an online dealer like Tisher BMW (around 20% off retail price).
4. Purchase high quality OEM "alternative" parts online.
5. Purchase high quality performance upgrade parts online.
6. Purchase cheaper replacement parts online or from a shop like Pep Boys.

My personal "opinion" is that getting high quality OEM alternative parts online and then having an indy shop doing the work is your best value.

It all depends on how anal you are on having "geniune" BMW parts.
      04-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
MKBMF01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i f01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
I can't speak specifically for the 7 series brakes but I can offer some insight on brakes in "general."

First of all it seems unlikely that you need to replace your rotors at 35k miles.
Of course it all depends on your driving habits but normally pads last around 20-30k miles while rotors should last twice as long (basically you should only need to replace the rotors with every 2nd brake pad replacement).

But let's say you do need to replace both rotors and pads....you have several options.

1. Have the dealer do the work
2. Purchase the OEM parts from the dealer
3. Purchase OEM parts from an online dealer like Tisher BMW (around 20% off retail price).
4. Purchase high quality OEM "alternative" parts online.
5. Purchase high quality performance upgrade parts online.
6. Purchase cheaper replacement parts online or from a shop like Pep Boys.

My personal "opinion" is that getting high quality OEM alternative parts online and then having an indy shop doing the work is your best value.

It all depends on how anal you are on having "geniune" BMW parts.

Thank you so much for your suggestion, even I was wondering about how they went out so early especially the rotors. I am going to have my local shop measure them again just to be sure, because the last time i saw, my rear brakes had decent life left in the computer. I am not too anal about genuine BMW parts as long as they perform equally well. Thank you again
Appreciate 0