BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #67
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Super Cool!!!!

BMW M Division: The Ultimate Self-Autonomous Poser Machine

Or as Wendy's used to say, "Where's the beef?"
Yes, because BMW are the only car manufactor that will have this tech... not!
The rules apply to the entire car industry, thus everyone will use whatever tech to fullfill those norms, but it is just a stopgap towards the EV.
...If any one actually believes that Tesla roadster can go 250 mph , get 600 miles , and only weigh in at 2700 pounds , I have some swamp land I'd like to sell you as well lol .
The Roadster might not weight 2700 pounds but It can easily do 600 miles with a 200 kw pack.

Vote with your wallet because ICE is on its way out so hurry and buy a gas car while you still can. That Roaster is no joke.
Tesla's most advanced 200kw power pack weighed over 3500 pounds last year so I seriously doubt it's changed that much in a year lol . Adding 3500 pounds of fuel to any car automatically makes it the opposite of a "sports" car dynamically . Until it's in production I wouldn't call it a win for them , it's a lot of promise and little delivered at this point . No doubt it will be quick to 60 , but that does not make a great driving experience , dynamics does .
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #68
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Super Cool!!!!

The rules apply to the entire car industry, thus everyone will use whatever tech to fullfill those norms, but it is just a stopgap towards the EV.
...If any one actually believes that Tesla roadster can go 250 mph , get 600 miles , and only weigh in at 2700 pounds , I have some swamp land I'd like to sell you as well lol .
The Roadster might not weight 2700 pounds but It can easily do 600 miles with a 200 kw pack.

Vote with your wallet because ICE is on its way out so hurry and buy a gas car while you still can. That Roaster is no joke.
Tesla's most advanced 200kw power pack weighed over 3500 pounds last year so I seriously doubt it's changed that much in a year lol ...
Tesla hasn't ever released a 200 kW power pack LOL

So we have no idea what it's going to weigh

Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #69
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Super Cool!!!!

Tesla's most advanced 200kw power pack weighed over 3500 pounds last year so I seriously doubt it's changed that much in a year lol ...

They have for home / commercial I.e. "the Power Pack 2 ". It weighs 3570 pounds and is supposed to be available this year .
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #70
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Super Cool!!!!

They have for home / commercial I.e. "the Power Pack 2 ". It weighs 3570 pounds and is supposed to be available this year .
Dude I am not sure what you are smoking but you were talking about something a little while ago that was incorrect so just give it up you clearly know very little about Tesla's product line up. There has never been a 200 kilowatt battery pack in a Tesla to date.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #71
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Super Cool!!!!

Dude I am not sure what you are smoking but you were talking about something a little while ago that was incorrect so just give it up you clearly know very little about Tesla's product line up. There has never been a 200 kilowatt battery pack in a Tesla to date.
Tesla is selling a 200kw power pack with the cooling system from the model S for Home / commercial use . So yeah it's going to give us an idea on what the 200kw pack will weight in the cars ..... personal insults are not warranted , try a little research .
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #72
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Happy Thanksgiving
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #73
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Read about BMW's Power eDrive to understand the potential for BMW M.
      11-23-2017, 10:57 PM   #74
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Super Cool!!!!

Tesla's most advanced 200kw power pack weighed over 3500 pounds last year so I seriously doubt it's changed that much in a year lol . Adding 3500 pounds of fuel to any car automatically makes it the opposite of a "sports" car dynamically . Until it's in production I wouldn't call it a win for them , it's a lot of promise and little delivered at this point . No doubt it will be quick to 60 , but that does not make a great driving experience , dynamics does .
I have a P100D and I love it. But you are right, the bigger the battery the heavier it is. Unless there is a drastic change in battery technology, otherwise they will always be heavy.

For now pure electric cars don't make a good track car but they are fun on the street though.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 11:15 PM   #75
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Bring on the hybrids ... not!

I attended two F1 races at Indy back in the late 2000's and saw Seb and JV race for BMW and the sound was right up there with a Top Fuel Dragster and an F16 fighter jet ... I wouldn't pay $5 to watch the new hybrids even though they are faster.

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 2
Law6377.00
dmboone254970.50
      11-24-2017, 01:11 AM   #76
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Hybrids have the potential to be quite magical...

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #77
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

People who resist progress and innovation never cease to amaze me.

Do you want tires with 1980's technology? NO. You want the latest and greatest, the grippiest tires ever known to man, in all weather applications.
Do you want old halogen headlights? NO. In fact you bitch every time you see a BMW with Xenons.
Do you want an old radio with a freakin' antenna out the back for entertainment? No, you want Apple car play, Bluetooth, hot spot wifi, freakin satellite radio that beams your dumb talk shows from outer space!
Do you want an old technology 1986 M3 with 200 horsepower? NO. You want it to be more powerful than the current model, sip less fuel, emit less harmful gasses and be more reliable.
Do you want an M3 with more lightweight carbon fiber technology or would you rather have more steel?

Then why all the fuss about hybrid engines? If you have any doubts at all, look no further than BMW's masterful implementation if the i8 with just 3 cylinders! That's the new floor.
Appreciate 2
bucketfoot1056.00
Amgeater2696.50
      11-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #78
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

I bet you will not find many i8 owners complaining about turbo lag!
Appreciate 1
Amgeater2696.50
      11-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #79
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
No thanks,anyone interested in an M car should buy one in the next few years before we have to deal with this technology.The M2 will probably be the last old school M car.

Sorry.. the M2 has EPS, BMW SINGLE turbo technology, DCT , auto rev match that can't be defeated without coding, POWER seats ONLY (with the exception of 150 cars in the US market) , TPS that goes crazy and sends the car into limp mode on track without resetting it specifically.... ... none of these are " old school. " the M2 is middle school at best.. if not new school.

The 1M... is a more likely candidate... even though it does have turbos. I would say the E90 M3 as well however DCT was available.
I love the m2 and fully agree
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #80
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post

Do you want tires with 1980's technology? NO. You want the latest and greatest, the grippiest tires ever known to man, in all weather applications.
Do you want old halogen headlights? NO. In fact you bitch every time you see a BMW with Xenons.
Do you want an old radio with a freakin' antenna out the back for entertainment? No, you want Apple car play, Bluetooth, hot spot wifi, freakin satellite radio that beams your dumb talk shows from outer space!
Do you want an old technology 1986 M3 with 200 horsepower? NO. You want it to be more powerful than the current model, sip less fuel, emit less harmful gasses and be more reliable.
Do you want an M3 with more lightweight carbon fiber technology or would you rather have more steel?

Then why all the fuss about hybrid engines? If you have any doubts at all, look no further than BMW's masterful implementation if the i8 with just 3 cylinders! That's the new floor.
What your missing is that some of us don't view this as progress. Yes better headlights, more HP etc etc... is progress. Driving around in a heavy electric lawnmower with zero sound/soul isn't progress In my book.
Appreciate 2
      11-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #81
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You won't find many i8 owners period

People around here (NY area) aren't buying that trash. Hell my local dealership couldn't give them away. At one point they were trying to lease them for $1000 a month.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      11-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #82
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: '18 GT3, Ex F80x2

Unfortunately this thing is inevitable with fleet fuel economy requirements. Global companies needing to satisfy very different regulations around the world while developing "one size fits most" products around these regulations. It's just inevitable. Manual transmissions are (not will be) just another victim of this. Those crappy sounding hybrid F1 cars run at 52% thermal efficiency..."impossible" 20 years ago

BMW is positioned well as is Toyota. Tesla is out on a limb and if they don't deliver in the next 3-5 years they will find themselves very quickly owned by GM or Ford.

Crazy thing is if they addressed the fuel economy of supertankers that transport our fossil fuels they'd save way more CO2s than addressing the fleet of vehicles worldwide. It's something around 20 supertankers produce more CO2 than all the cars worldwide...

Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      11-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #83
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu English View Post
Which cars, exactly, accomplish this feat?
Take your pick, Chevy or Ford. Alfa, we'll leave out the discussion. Is the m4 even better than a 1le camaro SS for 25,000 more. I think the m4 is a great car, but preference and brand loyalty seem to be just as important as cost and performance I guess.
Wait you are really trying to tell me that the mustang and camaro "check every box the m4 has to offer"?

I guess you forgot about:
a usable back seat
Comfy front seats with leather
A not terrible infotainment system
Heated rear seats
Front window visibility
An option for 4 doors
A carbon fiber roof
Better fuel economy
Edit: heated steering wheel

Or maybe you think these things should just be free?

I drove a camaro ss for a month just last month while my m3 was in the shop. Was it fast? Sure. Did I think it "checked every box the m3 has to offer"? Not even close.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      11-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #84
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:

What your missing is that some of us don't view this as progress. Yes better headlights, more HP etc etc... is progress. Driving around in a heavy electric lawnmower with zero sound/soul isn't progress In my book.
funny you mention sound, like the M4 sounds great?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #85
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Quote:

People around here (NY area) aren't buying that trash. Hell my local dealership couldn't give them away. At one point they were trying to lease them for $1000 a month.
wow now the i8 is garbage... very smart comment.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #86
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
It's not a lot, but they have sold over 10,000 i8s worldwide. If I could afford it, I would buy one.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #87
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Quote:
It's not a lot, but they have sold over 10,000 i8s worldwide. If I could afford it, I would buy one.
10,000 really isn't a lot. The car has been out for years. Why would you want one?? Honest question. It looks the part but that's about it.

It's a Vegan tree hugger wanna be fake exotic car for the non enthusiast
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      11-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #88
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Quote:

I don't resist progress and innovation, but these are the last things I need in a sports car when driving an engaging mountain pass in my Z4M-R:
"Apple car play, Bluetooth, hot spot wifi, freakin satellite radio that beams your dumb talk shows from outer space"

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 1