BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Probably a dumb question, but does this use of carbon fiber mean a decrease in safety? Clearly they wouldn't do that, so my real question is how does carbon fiber maintain strength?
Carbon fiber composite materials are silly strong. Like, blow your mind, "how in the hell did they do that" strong. The key difference -- when compared to something like steel -- is that they're brittle. When CF parts fail, they splinter or shatter. You can engineer CF parts that are more flexible, but then you sacrifice a lot of rigidity.

This means that CF parts are usually reserved for the core of the chassis; the parts that aren't meant to deform in a crash, and are then surrounded by materials that deform more predictably in the crash energy absorption zones.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #24
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY13E92M3 View Post
I was thinking the same thing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
+1! E90 is just replaced, and we're already at G!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
G11?????

WTF......?

It took decades for BMW to go through the E chassis and now in less than 10 years we are already done with "F"?

And what chassis were G1 through G10 then if the new "7" is already at G11?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
My thoughts exactly. The only thing I can think of is the new models with CFRP will be Gxx while the steel/aluminum cars will remain Fxx.
goes to show you that BMW is making too many models.

and yea G11?, i thought 7 series is BMW's leading flagship model and should have been G1. Maybe the so planned BMW super car (M8 or whatever) is G1
      02-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #25
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

The F-series is BMW's money-saving exercise... BMW really went to all lengths to reap the benefits of cost savings for the G-series when they will have to throw CF and lay all their cards out to remain competitive or meet stricter guidelines... so if the horsepower and weight wars are over, then bring out the power to weight ratios
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
goes to show you that BMW is making too many models.

and yea G11?, i thought 7 series is BMW's leading flagship model and should have been G1. Maybe the so planned BMW super car (M8 or whatever) is G1
As Jason pointed out The new 7er launches the carbon era @ BMW so because it is in essence a complete re-engineered model with no carry over it begins a new generation of platform matrix which will filter down the rest of the BMW models when it comes to replace them. All possible because of the focus and investment into Project-i.

The current F cars are all but complete as do not forget with the upcoming UKL family spawning 23 models between BMW and MINI all have their own designation under F.
And then you have the M cars.

Not enough models?
Yes you would be right. BMW are evaluating another series of model , a niche model in request to a growing demand. Which could relate to an additional concept under each BMW X model allowing potentially three models for example with an X3 and the X4 being the bookends there is room for an additional model that uses the opening and closing chapters but has a twist in the middle.
      02-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #27
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
As Jason pointed out The new 7er launches the carbon era @ BMW so because it is in essence a complete re-engineered model with no carry over it begins a new generation of platform matrix which will filter down the rest of the BMW models when it comes to replace them. All possible because of the focus and investment into Project-i.

The current F cars are all but complete as do not forget with the upcoming UKL family spawning 23 models between BMW and MINI all have their own designation under F.

Not enough models?
Yes you would be right. BMW are evaluating another series of model , a niche model in request to a growing demand. Which could relate to an additional concept under each BMW X model allowing potentially three models for example with an X3 and the X4 being the bookends there is room for an additional model that uses the opening and closing chapters but has a twist in the middle.
I love it when you talk about new models.

But... I'm really really struggling to imagine what other type of vehicle you could base off each X model, other than a pick-up version...! Perhaps X models whose core competency is off-road performance, rather than on-road performance - such as the G-class from Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #28
Jayp0d
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: *

(flame suit on)

Is it me (most likely), or does M770i xDrive not sound as cool as "M7". Same with the upcoming M235i. Just sound like imposter Ms.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #29
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
I love it when you talk about new models.

But... I'm really really struggling to imagine what other type of vehicle you could base off each X model, other than a pick-up version...! Perhaps X models whose core competency is off-road performance, rather than on-road performance - such as the G-class from Mercedes.
Off-road oriented models would be interesting as I prefer SUV's that offer low range 4WD, though I doubt there is much market demand for a highly off-road capable BMW. They are looking at niche markets however, so maybe a competitor to the Nissan Murano convertible?
      02-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #30
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
X3 and the X4 being the bookends there is room for an additional model that uses the opening and closing chapters but has a twist in the middle.
Dear God, please tell me you are not talking about a convertible X3!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #31
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Dear God, please tell me you are not talking about a convertible X3!
No... but how interesting would that be...
      02-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #32
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

I hope the test driver remembers to remove those few? dead hookers that are tucked in the trunk
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #33
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:

Not enough models?
The i8 can be designated G01 through G09. Fits with the whole "carbon fiber begins in earnest with the Gxx chassis" theme.

The new MINI/sub-1er/UKL architecture can be F56-F79.

Then you have the F80-series for the next M3/M4/M4 GC variations.

The additional X concept models could be hybrid or eDrive-based plugins.

Dunno what they'd need in the F9x series
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #34
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

So there will be an X1/3/4M, an active hybrid Z2 roadster, an M7 and a M8 gran coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #35
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
No... but how interesting would that be...
Not as interesting as my comments would be upon its release. LOL

I am excited for this new 7. I am tired of BMW's being the fatties of the industry. The decreased weight should help immensely with steering feel as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #36
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNm3
Agreed. They need to get this right this time. IMO the 7 series has been a weak link for nearly the past decade.
I would have to disagree with you on this. The current 7 is sleek and has very clean lines. It sits way too damn high and could be mistaken for a 5 series half the time. But the success of the 7 over the past 10 years set record sales for BMW. It even put the designer at the top of the command chain at BMW design.
      03-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #37
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldsy
(flame suit on)

Is it me (most likely), or does M770i xDrive not sound as cool as "M7". Same with the upcoming M235i. Just sound like imposter Ms.
With you a 100%. Just come out with an M7 and get it over with.
      03-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #38
psykick5
Rep
Drives: E34

For those wondering about CF, it's immensely strong and in a crash, say my bumper was CF and I ran into a wall, the CF would shatter, but as it shatters it takes massive amounts of energy with it. I doubt they'd make bumpers of it, though. Just an example.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #39
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Even with camouflage, the overall stance of the car looks very promising. Will they be able to make it under 3800lbs ?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #40
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 on order

Screw the 7, that F31 tagging along stole the show for me!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #41
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykick5 View Post
For those wondering about CF, it's immensely strong and in a crash, say my bumper was CF and I ran into a wall, the CF would shatter, but as it shatters it takes massive amounts of energy with it. I doubt they'd make bumpers of it, though. Just an example.
Yes, it's very strong, but CF makes a horrible crash barrier for human survival. Crash survivability is all about managing force over time. The human body does not react well to peaks in force.

Ideally, you want to spread the energy of a crash out over the longest time possible. The deformation characteristics of CF are the opposite of what you want. You get a huge peak in resistance force, followed by a cliff. Steel components dissipate force more linearly, which reduces the peak force transferred and spreads it out over time. This is far more desirable for human survivability.

CF is great, but you have to use it in the right way.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #42
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:

Not enough models?
I was thinking the same. The G character signifies an entry into Carbon era.

...anyway that G11 looks good, i like the proportions even though its cammo'ed. Very low and sporty.
      03-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #43
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: X5 M, STO, Urus Performante

Don't know if I can wait until 2016 to upgrade my current 7 but it looks like the new 7 will be much more exciting than the current model.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #44
Tonkus35
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 525d

Hope that the G11 come with more attractive than current model
Appreciate 0