BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #23
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^ I like porsche's.
But, do a drag race search of 650s vs turbo s.

McLaren by a good chunk.
And it is a good track car if you can keep from mowing.

458 will get left like it's pulling a barn.
      10-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #24
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335 View Post
Seriously? 650s and 488GTB? Are you making up names of phantom cars? Sorry I don't know those. Maybe you're so "in the know" that you drive baller cars we normal folk can't. GTR? not in the same league...fast but not a Porsche....you own one so you're a shill for your car...that's OK. I get it.

The bottom line is that the Porsche is the lb for lb best car and value in the universe...find something even close. You cannot. /thread.
Wow. Just wow. It's hard to even respond to this. I guess 911 turbo S is the best /end thread if you have no idea what other cars are out there. You've never heard of McLaren or Ferrari??

And how again is the GTR not in the same league? By performance metrics it sure is, and that's what you said the 911 turbo S was the best at...

"Lb for lb one of the best cars made...brakes, acceleration, top end, handling...all are done to impeccable standards. It cannot be argued."

I think the turbo S is a great car, but overpriced...there are other better ones. And I should add in the Huracan. I'll save you from having to look that up...it's a Lamborghini. And they are all roughly the same price. A 911 turbo S will cost you around $190-250k new these days. Huracan base price is around $240k.

The McLaren is a faster in a straight line and will destroy the turbo S at the track. The 488GTB will likely as well, although no official test numbers are out yet. And the GTR, despite being 7 years old, still keeps up. Even the AMG GTS is faster than the turbo S at the track. And the Viper. And the Z06...when it works.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 08:17 PM   #25
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
OK....I was curious...searched them...McLaren and Ferrari...More money, not as good track cars. probably higher top end, not 0-60.

My wife could turn a 2.8 0-60 in the Porsche. Again, nothing on this planet does everything as well, all around.
Wrong. See above.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #26
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Let's get a hellcat, 911 turbo, nissan GTR, and a 2016 GT500 Shelby in there and make it a real race.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #27
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
Wow. Just wow. It's hard to even respond to this. I guess 911 turbo S is the best /end thread if you have no idea what other cars are out there. You've never heard of McLaren or Ferrari??

And how again is the GTR not in the same league? By performance metrics it sure is, and that's what you said the 911 turbo S was the best at...

"Lb for lb one of the best cars made...brakes, acceleration, top end, handling...all are done to impeccable standards. It cannot be argued."

I think the turbo S is a great car, but overpriced...there are other better ones. And I should add in the Huracan. I'll save you from having to look that up...it's a Lamborghini. And they are all roughly the same price. A 911 turbo S will cost you around $190-250k new these days. Huracan base price is around $240k.

The McLaren is a faster in a straight line and will destroy the turbo S at the track. The 488GTB will likely as well, although no official test numbers are out yet. And the GTR, despite being 7 years old, still keeps up. Even the AMG GTS is faster than the turbo S at the track. And the Viper. And the Z06...when it works.
Wrong. I said previously that it does everything well...better, overall than any car out there. That's a fact.

No McLaren stock for stock will destroy the 911 on the track...that is comical. Where did you get that? Are you a comedian?

Fkn Lambo and McLaren...come on? The Porsche is 180k...that's big $$. If you can buy a McLaren and/or Lambo it's in a different stratosphere AND if you DO the chances are you're a douchebag. You like to look like a baller...thats the only reason why you buy cars like that...Bentley-esqe. You know I'm right. Porsche is less assuming and people who purchase them generally like cars not the "show"..

The GTR is legit..no doubt. A great value and a beast. Tune the GTR and Porsche and those are unstoppable cars.

Screw it. Give me a 997 TT and 5k for tune and a few other goodies...that thing at 8 years old would run with either Lambo, Ferrari and anything you can throw at it.

I'm no Shill for Porsche but they do it right and have been for 50 years.

Like it or not, most car people know I'm correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_acceleration
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #28
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Wrong. I said previously that it does everything well...better, overall than any car out there. That's a fact.

No McLaren stock for stock will destroy the 911 on the track...that is comical. Where did you get that? Are you a comedian?

Fkn Lambo and McLaren...come on? The Porsche is 180k...that's big $$. If you can buy a McLaren and/or Lambo it's in a different stratosphere AND if you DO the chances are you're a douchebag. You like to look like a baller...thats the only reason why you buy cars like that...Bentley-esqe. You know I'm right. Porsche is less assuming and people who purchase them generally like cars not the "show"..

The GTR is legit..no doubt. A great value and a beast. Tune the GTR and Porsche and those are unstoppable cars.

Screw it. Give me a 997 TT and 5k for tune and a few other goodies...that thing at 8 years old would run with either Lambo, Ferrari and anything you can throw at it.

Your posts make me want to gouge my eyes out.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 09:15 PM   #29
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW View Post
Your posts make me want to gouge my eyes out.
Do it then, bro. Don't forget to add pix...maybe let your girl/boyfriend do it as it would be difficult with blood pouring from your sockets.

In reality...provide your thoughts on what is better than said Turbo S. I'm from Boston too....born and raised. IROC-Z?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #30
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

Get a Z28, it'll take that turbo Porsche around a track.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #31
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:

Look on Cars.com and see how many 911 turbo S are for sale for over $200k. It's 112. There are about 3 for sale new for at or under $180k. PDK, PASM, sport chrono, PCCB, etc all of which are necessary to make it perform its best, are very expensive. Everything is an option with Porsche. Want Nav? That's extra. Leather seats? Extra. Cruise control? Add it up.

Regarding the McLaren, let me educate you. It's as fast to 60, faster to 100 and through the 1/4 mile, and a whopping 6 seconds a lap faster than the turbo S at VIR. It's more expensive, starting at $267k, but a lot more exclusive and certainly not a poseur car. Same for the Huracan, which flies to 60 in 2.5 and through the 1/4 in 10.4 at 136 mph. And at $242k base, $256k as tested, it's not a lot more expensive than the turbo S. Anyone who can afford a $240k car can also afford a $250K car or a $260k car, so the difference is negligible. I'm not saying the turbo S doesn't offer a lot of performance. But it's certainly not a bang for the buck proposition. A used turbo S in the $130k range would be a good option, but despite the performance it does look very bland in real life. It looks like every other 911 out there.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #32
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
Look on Cars.com and see how many 911 turbo S are for sale for over $200k. It's 112. There are about 3 for sale new for at or under $180k. PDK, PASM, sport chrono, PCCB, etc all of which are necessary to make it perform its best, are very expensive. Everything is an option with Porsche. Want Nav? That's extra. Leather seats? Extra. Cruise control? Add it up.

Regarding the McLaren, let me educate you. It's as fast to 60, faster to 100 and through the 1/4 mile, and a whopping 6 seconds a lap faster than the turbo S at VIR. It's more expensive, starting at $267k, but a lot more exclusive and certainly not a poseur car. Same for the Huracan, which flies to 60 in 2.5 and through the 1/4 in 10.4 at 136 mph. And at $242k base, $256k as tested, it's not a lot more expensive than the turbo S. Anyone who can afford a $240k car can also afford a $250K car or a $260k car, so the difference is negligible. I'm not saying the turbo S doesn't offer a lot of performance. But it's certainly not a bang for the buck proposition. A used turbo S in the $130k range would be a good option, but despite the performance it does look very bland in real life. It looks like every other 911 out there.
People who buy those cars are posers and want to be seen, ooooed and awwwwed over....

Lambo or a McLaren are just unrealistic cars, are more expensive offer negligdable performance....once again...the Porsche does everything great. Put either of those cars vs. the Porsche on the track.

ON top of that, try getting an oil change on either of those when you live virtually anywhere...Porsche has dealers in/around most populated cities.

You just do not want to admit that price the price, the Porsche is a better all around car. It's a fact.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #33
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Do it then, bro. Don't forget to add pix...maybe let your girl/boyfriend do it as it would be difficult with blood pouring from your sockets.

In reality...provide your thoughts on what is better than said Turbo S. I'm from Boston too....born and raised. IROC-Z?
You have Porsche shoved so far up your ass it's not even worth arguing about it with you
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #34
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
People who buy those cars are posers and want to be seen, ooooed and awwwwed over....

Lambo or a McLaren are just unrealistic cars, are more expensive offer negligdable performance....once again...the Porsche does everything great. Put either of those cars vs. the Porsche on the track.

ON top of that, try getting an oil change on either of those when you live virtually anywhere...Porsche has dealers in/around most populated cities.

You just do not want to admit that price the price, the Porsche is a better all around car. It's a fact.
My opinions are based on facts. Your "facts" are based on your opinions. You won't even look at the actual numbers, so what does that say? Again, the Huracan and 650s (and almost certainly the 488GTB as well) are faster than the 911 turbo S in a straight line and at the track.

Up until this generation (991), the 911 turbo wasn't that great on the track. The 997.1 turbo was tested a full 5 seconds behind the M4 (in different years, yes). Despite what would seem the be big advantages, it really underperformed st the track. The 997.1 turbo just wasn't a very good car with a laggy engine and a bad transmission. The 991 turbo S is definitely better than previous generations, but not as good as a Huracan or a 650s. Is it worth twice as much as a GTR? Three times as much as an M4? Not to me.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #35
FL335
Banned
Rep

Really?

Faster i a straight line and at the track? Where are YOUR facts?

https://www.0-60specs.com/mclaren-650s-0-60-times/

The Porsche is 2.7 from the factory, ....enough already.

You can't comprehend for some reason...I said it is the best lb for lb....it doesn't do everything the best, just everything great.

BTW, 180k for Turbo S, 270k for your McLaren and 250k+ for your Huran...all on eBay, right now! I'd take 70-80 and buy and S6 for my daily.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #36
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Cringe thread
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #37
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Really?

You can't comprehend for some reason...I said it is the best lb for lb....it doesn't do everything the best, just everything great.

BTW, 180k for Turbo S, 270k for your McLaren and 250k+ for your Huran...all on eBay, right now! I'd take 70-80 and buy and S6 for my daily.
0-60 times are meaningless as it is based more on traction for cars in this level of power. 1/4 mile times (and trap speed) are better but what's even better is a 30-100 measure.

While the Turbo S is a great car and fast in a straight line, it really isn't as capable as many other cars at the track (which is more important as it shows a cars overall capability rather than simply power/weight)... heck, I'd take a 911 GT3 (RS or otherwise) or even a Cayman GT4 for track duty over the Turbo S. Same goes for the Z06... it will, invariably, be a faster track car.

In any event, how did this thread become a Porsche thread again? Seems like someone always does this with their Porsche kool-aid in hand

Back on topic, the Z06 isn't really that great of a straight line speed car given its aero... not optimized for 1/4 mile acceleration and more suited for road course duty. Not making excuses for it but just pointing out that the aero isn't helping with high speed runs and, IMO, hampers the car... on the track, it's a different story.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #38
TahoeM3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Really?

Way to pick and choose number that fit your agenda without looking at the overall picture. The 2.9 second time in the link you posted is the manufacturer number, which is always going to be conservative. And the 3.0 second time is for a spider.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...re-incredible/

In real world testing, the McLaren is much faster. The 911 turbo S is no slouch, but the point is the there are definitely faster cars. Did you see those numbers for the Huracan?

I have no doubt that there is a 911 turbo S on eBay. But I'm sure it is a manual, with no PASM, Sport chrono, carbon ceramics, etc. Without any of the go fast goodies, it's going to be a hard sell. No one wants a stripper version of a $200k car that doesn't have key options. You won't get anywhere near magazine tested times in a manual.

But to each his or her own. Go for the manual turbo S and s6 and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 04:14 AM   #39
Topspeed
fast enough
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Cayman, GTR, M235, Boxster S,

Quote:
Seriously? 650s and 488GTB? Are you making up names of phantom cars? Sorry I don't know those. Maybe you're so "in the know" that you drive baller cars we normal folk can't. GTR? not in the same league...fast but not a Porsche....you own one so you're a shill for your car...that's OK. I get it.

The bottom line is that the Porsche is the lb for lb best car and value in the universe...find something even close. You cannot. /thread.
Where have you been hiding? Never heard of a 650s or 488GTB? I guess you never heard of the 675LT either. The Mclaren 650s may be marginally slower to 60 but it will destroy the Turbo S above that, and its more than capable on a track as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #40
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Cringe thread
Seriously.
Appreciate 0