BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Wheel and Tire Insurance

To all here who have wheel and tire insurance: What company is your policy with and how do you rate your experience thus far: 1 being worst and 10 being best? I'm between two dealers, one sells BMW insurance the other AutoKnight. Thanks, JD.

Last edited by dbs600; 05-06-2010 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Are both BMW only dealers or is one a BMW and the other a 'luxury' car dealer?

I don't know the name of the company for my tire warranty of the top of my head, but I can tell you that it is definitely worth it (at least it is/was in my case).

I had just driven my car home from the dealership, when my best friend noticed that there was a shinny new screw sticking out of my rear wheel tire! I thought he was joking (he's sort of a prankster and likes to do these kind of things), until I saw it for myself. So back to the dealership, they hoisted up the car, took the tire off an found that the screw went all the way through
Since it is BMW's policy NOT to repair but rather just replace run-flat tires, they had to try and find a replacement tire for me. Luckily, another BMW dealership happened to have two of the 275/35R20 RFT high performance summer tires in stock. So they got one of them and replaced it for me. I had to pay for the replacement (it was around $650 if I recall correctly) and was assured that the tire warranty would cover this and that the insurance company would reimburse me. Since I had just signed the warranty, it wasn't in the system yet, so it took almost 3 month and quite a few phone calls from my SA to get this taken care of, but I finally did get my my money back...
I don't think that the insurance company made a lot of money in my case, but at the same time, I was glad that I had signed up for the tire and rim warranty!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Thank you for your comments xDrive. To answer your question, both are established BMW dealers. Why don't you think that the tire insurance company made money in your case? Here in the US, I see that the plans are generally $1,500 for 5 years worth of coverage. So, they continue to profit on anything less than 3 replacements (tire only). Anyway, I'm definitely going for the insurance (at the many dealers I've shopped, the consensus seems to be that about 4 and 5 customers goes with a plan), just curious if one policy is better than the other. Thanks again! JD.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

The tire and rim warranty I believe is 5 years and cost me $900 (again if memory serves me right), would have to double check that when I get back home...

So with one tire down (at $650), there is less than one left... So I keep my fingers crossed I don't have any issues with my tires or rims, but if anything happens and I need another replacement, the insurance company definitely would be loosing money on me ...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0