BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Cigarette Lighter Socket Power When Off?

Just connected a car phone charger to my cigarette lighter socket and would like to know if power is always running to the socket, as I see that light on the charger remains on even after the car is shut off and locked; not sure if it times out or not. If not, I suppose we shouldn’t keep things plugged in!?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Just connected a car phone charger to my cigarette lighter socket and would like to know if power is always running to the socket, as I see that light on the charger remains on even after the car is shut off and locked; not sure if it times out or not. If not, I suppose we shouldnt keep things plugged in!?
Well, the vehicle does detect foreign loads. In general, there is a global timeout after 20 minutes. But, if you survive that then the system will kill the offender if the battery begins to reveal a measurable depletion.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Well, the vehicle does detect foreign loads. In general, there is a global timeout after 20 minutes. But, if you survive that then the system will kill the offender if the battery begins to reveal a measurable depletion.
Sorry, but I'm not following. So there is power to the socket with the car shut off and locked, but after 20 minutes all power to everything is cut; meaning the socket as well? And then what; if you first plug something into the socket after those 20 minutes, power to the socket is cut only if the car senses a battery 'depletion'? Thanks for the prompt reply.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Sorry, but I'm not following. So there is power to the socket with the car shut off and locked, but after 20 minutes all power to everything is cut; meaning the socket as well? And then what; if you first plug something into the socket after those 20 minutes, power to the socket is cut only if the car senses a battery 'depletion'? Thanks for the prompt reply.
1. A timeout may disconnect the power to the socket after 20 minutes.

2. In the case where the socket continues to maintain power after 20 minutes, the power can be cut off if the battery nears the depletion threshold.

3. You can plug your iPhone into the socket. Make sure iPhone is visible through window in car. Come back in an hour to see if iPhone charge symbol is still active. This may help you determine how long socket remains energized.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Okay; thanks.

Even if powered for 20 minutes after shutdown, I'm not going to leave the charger plugged in, for concern of the battery; going to be annoying to constantly plug and unplug!

Not sure why they did this; in most all other cars the power is cut... :|
Appreciate 0