BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

My 2012 740Li

Took delivery of my 740Li at BMW Welt a few weeks ago. It's on a boat now on it's way stateside. I put together a short clip detailing the experience:

There's a typo in the opening titles -- unfortunately to correct it, I'd have to upload the video again.

Anyway, enjoy.

Quick thoughts about my new 2012 F02 7 Series (and some photos below):

I chose every option except rear entertainment.

Minor Changes for 2012:
- They've (finally) hidden the unsightly "globe" that shielded the Active Cruise Control radar. It's now hidden behind the lower grill. In previous MYs it had been visible.

- They've made some changes to the driving modes. As far as I can tell, they've just re-named them. Previously, the available modes were: Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport +. As of September in the 2012's they're now: Comfort+, Comfort, Sport and Sport +. They re-named "Comfort" to "Comfort +" and "Normal" is now "Comfort".

Favorite Features:
- BMW Apps is really quite cool. I used it extensively while driving in Europe. I doubt I'll use it for Facebook or Twitter (seems silly), but the Calendar integration with iDrive is VERY nice. My entire itinerary was in the Calendar app on my iPhone 4, and it displayed beautifully on the iDrive. I was even able to use the phone numbers that were embedded in each event. On one occasion, I needed to contact one of the hotels in Europe while I was en route. With no effort at all, I chose the calendar function from iDrive, found the event, highlighted the phone number and dialed right from iDrive. Nice. Additionally, the ability for the car to send the app an update on fuel level, miles driven, etc. after the engine is shut off is also nice. Now when leaving the office, I don't have to remember whether I'll have to stop for gas on the way home -- I'll know in advance, and can plan accordingly. I know this seems like a minor feature, but it's huge for me.

- Side View and Top View cameras are life savers. I'm ruined for other cars now. Having used these features on the tight roads and blind intersections / alleyways of Europe, I don't know how I ever lived without this capability. Being able to see cross traffic and pedestrians as I'm pulling out of garages is phenomenal. The Top View feature is among my faves too. Makes parking a snap.

- Integral Active Steering is simply amazing. Thanks to this feature, this massive car has a turning radius similar to that of my smaller (and much sportier) E93 M3. Simply amazing. The car feels much smaller than it really is.

- Active Cruise Control is another really nice feature. I know this option is available on a variety of BMWs, but it's not one I've ever had the option of choosing in my cars until now. It wasn't offered as an option on my M3. I loved using this while driving in Europe. I called it a "Tractor Beam" while I was there, because it really behaved that way I'd "latch" onto the car in front of me, choose a following distance, then let the car take over. When that car slowed down (sometimes to a stop) so did I -- without ever having to hit the brakes. The coolest thing was having the speed set to something higher than the car in front of me. At one point, I had the cruise control set at 110mph (it's limited to 110 for some reason). The car in front of me was doing about 90mph, and my car dutifully followed at that speed until the car changed lanes, clearing the way in front of me. At that point my car accelerated up to 110, and held that speed.

- Full Color HUD is a marked improvement over the older version. In daylight, the information is a brilliant white, and in night or low light situations, it changes to the BMW orange color. The coolest feature, IMHO, is it's ability to show full color visuals of off-ramps and on-ramps when using the navigation system. VERY nice.

- Matte Wood Trim is much nicer (again IMHO) than glossy wood. I've owned several BMWs and each time I ordered them, I'd select a glossy wood trim for the interior. Having the choice of Matte Wood for the first time, I decided to take the plunge, and I'm soooo glad I did. It's so clean, smooth and very understated. It makes the interior of the car feel "warmer" and "calmer". If you haven't seen this option in person, you should take a look. I attached a photo below, but it's not as detailed as I'd have liked. I snapped it during the frenzied BMW Welt delivery experience.

- Luxury Rear Seating Package is primo. I had the "luxury" of having my partner drive the car for a portion of the vacation while I enjoyed the back seat. Being able to recline the seat, while having my butt and back cooled and massaged (both butt massage and back massage simultaneously) with the rear and side sun-shades deployed was incredible. I'm probably not going to see the back seat as often as he and our friends will, but it's definitely an outstanding experience back there!

- The twin turbo inline 6 cylinder engine is great! This N54 received a minor bump in HP over the original, which first appeared in the E9x 335i. While the 335i is rated at 300hp, the 740 is rated 315. And let me tell you, this baby can boogie. Since the car is a few hundred pounds lighter than the 750 (lighter engine and other components) the balance is closer to 50/50, and there was no noticeable turbo lag -- something people initially complained about in the 750. The engine has plenty of power. I planned my driving tour such that I'd reach the recommended break-in mileage in advance of doing any crazy Autobahn driving. Once broken in, I made a sprint from Monaco to Frankfurt (almost 600 miles) with a stop in Geneva for lunch. The Geneva to Frankfurt leg was amazing. I hit the speed limiter (155MPH) on the Autobahn and sustained that speed for over an hour. It was absolutely breathtaking to cover so much ground in so little time. At those speeds I finally had an appreciation for all the tech built into the car -- adaptive this, assistive that, all working in concert to keep the car stable. Very cool.

- Fuel Economy is really good for such a large car. My E93 M3 gets 14mpg city / 20mpg highway. I average about 17mpg in that car. I don't mind the fuel economy, and am certainly not concerned about the cost of gas, because the driving experience in that car is simply beyond amazing. However, as a daily driver, due to the size of the fuel tank, it is an annoyance to have to fill the tank every couple of days (I drive 45 miles each way to work). The 7 is going to be welcome relief. The capacity is much greater than the M3, and so are the MPG ratings. I averaged 22mpg in Europe, even with all the gas-guzzling Autobahn sprints. So I expect equal if not better here at home.

Summary:
This is a great car. Well deserving of the Motor Trend pick as best luxury sedan (740i, specifically). I was tempted by the horsepower in the 750, and even more so in the ActiveHybrid 7, but ultimately settled into the 740Li.

I knew I wanted a 7, but the 750 gets the same estimated MPG as my M3 does, so that was a big negative against going with that engine. I then turned my sights on the ActiveHybrid 7. It met the criteria of stretching the fuel economy to the point that I wouldn't have to stop as often to fill up (a major criteria for me). And, as a bonus, it had MORE power than the 750. Win / Win, right? Wrong. Although the car met the MPG and power criteria, it fell short on features. I'd really had my heart set on getting the long wheelbase 7 series, so I knew from the get-go that I'd be selecting Integral Active Steering for better maneuverability, and that I'd rely on the camera package to get into and out of tight spaces. Unfortunately, the four wheel steering option (included in Integral Active Steering) was not available for the ActiveHybrid 7 (which is still stuck in MY 2011). It was explained to me that the location of the trunk mounted NiMH battery and associated components made rear-wheel steering an impossibility. Also, the ActiveHybrid 7 didn't offer the Driver Assistance Package (Top and Side View cameras, Blind Spot Detection, Lane Departure Warning, etc.), nor did it offer Active Roll Stabilization or Active Cruise Control -- a major negative. So, I trained my sights on the 740Li. All packages / options were available. The engine received the equivalent MPG rating as the ActiveHybrid 7 did, and, since the car is lighter (no heavy V8, electric motor pack or trunk mounted NiMH battery stack), the performance is similar. So, 740Li won in the end.
Attached Images

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
bruno787
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 735i

nice 740
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

Beautiful car!!! Awesome write up, makes me want to get one with the same options although I would really miss the V8!!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
looks great! are you going to be keeping the M3 as a weekender?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Rob@StrasseWheels
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G80 M3 Comp

Congrats on the new ride! Love it!

@Strasse_Robert | (786)701-3649 | Robert@StrasseWheels.com | www.StrasseWheels.com
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Very nice! Wish there was still daylight upon my Welt delivery!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

gratz on the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
I chose every option except rear entertainment.
Smart man, this option is completely useless

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

@OP: Congrats on the new car and great write up!

@Ryouken: Sorry, I have to completely disagree with you on the rear entertainment package (well at least the professional iDrive controller version we get in Canada). I wouldn't buy another 7 without it! Every time I drive my family in any other car that doesn't have that feature, I have to endure my kids constant questions (e.g. "how long have we been in the car already" or the usual "are we there yet?"), or heaven forbid the constant nagging or fighting with each other...
Granted, when I originally got the car the system had a few quirks, but subsequent software upgrades have fixed those issues and once the kids figured out how to master the rear iDrive system, it's been great! They get into the car and have the wireless headphones on even before I start the engine
The ride is ALWAYS so much more pleasant with them watching a movie
And if the kids get bored of movies, they like to watch the iDrive maps and see what's around the area we are currently in...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep

It would have been alright if the US had gotten the Professional system instead of the business version as the remote that came with it was quite cumbersome and having the rear iDrive controller would have made it all better but in the end we got shafted.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryouken View Post
It would have been alright if the US had gotten the Professional system instead of the business version as the remote that came with it was quite cumbersome and having the rear iDrive controller would have made it all better but in the end we got shafted.
Not to mention the unsightly 90's-esque 1+ inch border around the displays; why BMWNA, why!?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Not to mention the unsightly 90's-esque 1+ inch border around the displays; why BMWNA, why!?
1+

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Many congrats on your car! I am about to pick up my own 740i in a day, but mine is built a couple of months before yours and shipped across here. I am wondering if you or anyone else know when they switched over to full colour HUD? I wonder if I got that?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Not to mention that BMW completely misrepresented the features of the rear entertainment in the USA. First, they show maps on the rear display in the brochure and claim all sources are available to rear seat passengers.

However, in the USA, you can't get maps to show on the 2011 rear entertainment.

Plus, my 2008 750li had a rear idrive controller and could show maps.

What a fraud. I won't even go into the fact that BMW promises iPhone integration on 2011 750li xdrive models and I have a combox, but BMW wont give me the bloody software to make it work.

Yet, other third parties can sell it to you to make it work. What a fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryouken View Post
Not to mention the unsightly 90's-esque 1 inch border around the displays; why BMWNA, why!?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Many congrats on your car! I am about to pick up my own 740i in a day, but mine is built a couple of months before yours and shipped across here. I am wondering if you or anyone else know when they switched over to full colour HUD? I wonder if I got that?
Thanks... looking forward to receiving it. That's one of the drawbacks of European Delivery -- waiting months to go get it, then waiting another six to eight weeks for it to be re-delivered!

The HUD switched over to full color starting with March 2011 production. Your car should definitely have it.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwhite335 View Post
looks great! are you going to be keeping the M3 as a weekender?
Was originally going to try to sell the M3 once the 7 arrives stateside, but now I'm leaning toward keeping her. I live in San Francisco, and space is at a premium -- I only have a single car garage. I'm cooking up a plan to keep her near my office in an area that has covered parking, so I can potentially alternate between the two cars.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
Thanks... looking forward to receiving it. That's one of the drawbacks of European Delivery -- waiting months to go get it, then waiting another six to eight weeks for it to be re-delivered!

The HUD switched over to full color starting with March 2011 production. Your car should definitely have it.
Thanks, indeed my car does have colour HUD! I am so happy with the car. Being an M sport spec car with the active anti-roll bar, my car feels a lot sportier than the size would suggest! It many ways it reminds me of the X5M we had a year ago (but not the power obviously!).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

sweeeeeet, congrats!! thx 4 shar'n the vid n pix.
also, can't hav ed w/out the obligatory neuschwanstein castle shot

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Thx for sharing your great experience Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #19
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

Very nice. Your post really makes me miss Germany. Congrats to both of you guys.
      12-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #20
mbworldz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

740i impression

I have a 2011 740i black on black. Since I dont care who will sitting behind me so no need the additional 6 inches LOL. Also this is my first BMW, all past cars were Mercedes. I must say this 740i just amazing! Gas mileage is awesome!
People might think this 7 series is a huge car, with it move with the N54 inline six? You bet! They actually increased the turbo boost for this car. When you drive it, it feels like V8. I also did a race with the Porsche Panorama S, Unfortunately once I hit 150mph, (or before 150) it won't go anymore lol. The Porsche Panorama S is a fast car but heavy also. He didn't past me but it was behind my back all time. I wish Dinan has the tune for our 740 but looks like they don't. It will be bad ass! Love driving it with the Sports mode all the time, gear changes, revs...etc all goto the ultimate setting. Very responsive.

Main complain is the Angel Eye! Horrible ugly yellow ring. Just can't understand why the flagship don't deserve the LED AE, while the lower model 3 series, 5 series and X3, X5 has it.

Overall I am impressed. Fill up the tank, took a trip to Vegas from LA, When I got there I still have 1/3 tank left. My 2008 Mercedes E63 AMG gas mileage was bad. Need to fill it up twice in order to get there. But of course different feel of the car and the E63 is just a monster.

To me, there is no need to get the V8 unless you like bigger engine and waste more gas. Otherwise inline 6 is just perfect for this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
Awesome vid !! Hope you took some time to break it is good while you were there.

I am definitely doing the ED in a year or two when I cave in and take the plunge for another BMW
      01-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #22
RT8_M3
drives a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3/F10 535i/e93 335i

Very, very nice 740! Congrats on the purchase.
Appreciate 0