BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

Discrimination and social media

Is discrimination on the rise or we just hear about it more because people have smart phones/Facebook?
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Interesting question! I don't know about discrimination on the rise though it is certainly a real issue. 24/7 media coverage does shine a light that wasn't there 30 years ago but is it showing an increase or simply highlighting what has always been there...

I would say we as a nation in particular but this is true for the world in general, we have become way less tolerant of other people's views. And that is true for both the right and left. Instead of being willing to acknowledge others points of view and then work toward a common goal, all we get is my way or the highway from both sides. And I'll say that I think this lack of tolerance contributes to some of the extremism we see today...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
ethanjoon
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6MT, E90 330i 6MT

I'd say no. Minorities will like you to believe so, so that they can play the race card for as long as possible (this is coming from a person of a minority race).
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Discrimination has to exist to some extent. A lot of these pussies bitch and whine about it all fucking day because they can't get ahead. The real world is like a shark tank and if you don't have the right skill set then you'll get eaten alive. It's not discrimination, it's called competition. Funny but you don't see any midgets in the NBA or skinny dudes in the NFL but you don't see anyone complaining about that. It's not my fault you can't get ahead in life because you figured that an education was a waste of time. Better luck next life.

I'm sorry but this type of BS just pisses me the fuck off. I grew up in Newark, NJ to immigrant parents and let me tell you initial start in America was rough. In the end we made it due to hard work and education. I'm doing pretty damn good now so I really don't want to hear any fucking sob stories about discrimination. Put a fucking Central European name on a application and watch how quickly it goes into the garbage pile because the dumbass looking at it thinks you don't speak English. That's the shit my parents dealt with for years, yet they still came out on top. This is why I laugh at this shit these days. People born here have every opportunity to succeed but many of them are just too fucking stupid to take advantage of them. So if you fail and continue to fail in America then it's not because of discrimination but because your a nutless pussy and a moron.

Last edited by Delta0311; 06-23-2015 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #5
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I can see how economic and social factors can solidify one's personal beliefs. You can argue that past events like Baltimore can acts as a trigger for one to voice one's dissatisfactions. That pool incident, Charleston, the Indian gentleman who was just walking the streets... My grandmother would love to walk around the neighborhood all the time, but could someone see my gentle meema as a theat? Depends where she wants to walk around. Perhaps like a virus, discrimination has mutated and evolved to something different and perhaps sometimes subtle.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Delta, my son plays football and I can say there are few phenoms that could make a great college run. That said, I also see these same "minority" phenoms working out all year, pushing themselves (my house is behind an athletic field). Being curious, I ask my son about them and he says these kids think it's the only way to get a free ride into college.

I've travelled a bit in my life. For foreign countries, English is the language to learn. So unfortunately some countries only have the private schools teach English and the public schools don't get the same level of English emphasis. While I understand the merit of working hard, minorities don't always have the equal opportunities for education which puts them at a disadvantage.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:45 PM   #7
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Global, I don't disagree on the opportunity question you raise but where is the tipping point? We spend as much in this country per capita on education as other "developed" countries yet our educational system struggles. Is that really discrimination or a poorly managed beauracratic system that needs a new model?

And I ask this as someone who lives in New Orleans where the public school system is so poor that it was taken over by the state. And I don't mean financially poor. And I freely admit to being in a financial position to send my kids to private school, an opportunity many in this city don't have. But at what point do we finally realize that simply throwing more money at the problem is not the answer? After Katrina many schools switched to the charter model and the results have been good. Unfortunately we have lost generations, at least here in New Orleans, so it will take time see results...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:03 PM   #8
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep

KSCARROL: Some countries invite high caliber colleges to evaluate their country's education system. For one of the studies I've read, the lead reviewer from GATech cites disparity of income as the biggest factor in inequality in education. The Finnish system in another study was considered one of the best in the world, though not a big economic powerhouse like the U.S. You're right that it's not all about throwing money at the problem but caring enough to try to do it the right way. But the rich can give their kids the best education, thus the 1% gets richer.

For my original question, I'll hypothesize that yes, discrimination has grown given economic disparity has also grown wider.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:20 PM   #9
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I hope that GATech researcher didn't spend much that study as those results are common sense. But in general we fund our educational system well, on par with other countries, yet our results are significantly below par. Why? And yes, the 1% can afford to send their kids to better schools which ultimately widens economic inequality. But what is happening to our school system which is well funded but not providing kids the skills they need? That is a huge issue for me.

And I don't pretend to be an expert on these issues but if our public school system turned out well educated students with needed skills, this gap would not be as nearly wide as it is...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 06:09 AM   #10
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Poland is in the top 10 when it comes to math, language, and science; meanwhile the U.S. is somewhere up in the 20s. Poland spends a fraction on what America spends on education yet produces better results. Do you want to know why that is? Because in Poland the value of education is pretty much instilled in a kid from birth. Thanks to this we have less degenerate idiots. In American inner cities many of the kids simply don't want to learn and have, in many cases, single moms who don't give a shit either. I fucking went through an inner city school system so I know how it is. Don't blame the teachers because most of them do teach, it's the kids that are the problem. Don't expect Ivy League scholars from a household, where the dad is MIA and mom is a degenerate. It doesn't matter how much money you throw into a school system like this. Because unless you change the kids and the parents the results will be the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalScientist View Post
Is discrimination on the rise or we just hear about it more because people have smart phones/Facebook?
Social media + general inability to think independently... or to think at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #12
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalScientist View Post
Do you mind clarifying on this? Are you referring to articles about racist incidents such as the Roof kid killing the black people, or people saying racist things on social media?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #13
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Discrimination has to exist to some extent. A lot of these pussies bitch and whine about it all fucking day because they can't get ahead. The real world is like a shark tank and if you don't have the right skill set then you'll get eaten alive. It's not discrimination, it's called competition. Funny but you don't see any midgets in the NBA or skinny dudes in the NFL but you don't see anyone complaining about that. It's not my fault you can't get ahead in life because you figured that an education was a waste of time. Better luck next life.

I'm sorry but this type of BS just pisses me the fuck off. I grew up in Newark, NJ to immigrant parents and let me tell you initial start in America was rough. In the end we made it due to hard work and education. I'm doing pretty damn good now so I really don't want to hear any fucking sob stories about discrimination. Put a fucking Central European name on a application and watch how quickly it goes into the garbage pile because the dumbass looking at it thinks you don't speak English. That's the shit my parents dealt with for years, yet they still came out on top. This is why I laugh at this shit these days. People born here have every opportunity to succeed but many of them are just too fucking stupid to take advantage of them. So if you fail and continue to fail in America then it's not because of discrimination but because your a nutless pussy and a moron.
Doubled edged sword my friend.

On one end, i'm with you in what you're saying. Minors need to stop thinking about discrimination so much and work their asses off. They gotta stop waiting for hand-me-downs and actually put in work.
Major congrats to you and your family for pulling through. I can relate. I came to this country at age 13 with a widowed mom and 4 other siblings. Talk about being DIRT POOR. But after working hard, we pulled through. NOTHING was ever handed to me or us.

On the other end of the sword, minorities especially Blacks aren't treated equally AT ALL! I'll be the first one in line to testify. So when they complain, i can definitely feel for them.
For instance, plenty of times I've had White Cops, teachers and work managers, look at me wrong. When they first meet me, they automatically have this anger and confused look in their face.
It's like i'm a piece of shit to them. But as soon as they hear my accent... the world changes. They smile and treat me differently and with more respect.
The only conclusion i can draw is that: When they first saw me (Black male) they automatically thought of a useless, dead beat broke drug smuggling rapper thug. Then when they hear my accent, they quickly realize i'm foreign and i'm actually serious.

Back in 2003, when i was taking a semester at a local community college. I sat in the back on this class, i kept to myself. I did my work really really good but the Professor kept giving me D's and F's.
I kept thinking i needed to do more reading. But towards the end of the semester, i got fed up with the bullshit and walked up to her after class.

I SHIT YOU NOT!

after talking to her she said "OMG! i love your accent" "Where are you from?" "You know what, i'm gonna pass you" "I thought you were one of them"

I SHIT YOU NOT!

So this dumb professor was purposely failing me because she taught i was a typical Black man in America and never actually took her time to really read my projects.

Back in those days i was a shy quiet kid so i never reported her.
      06-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #14
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

I think social media has made virtually every aspect of life, worse. Politics, racism, police interactions, and worst of all our relationships with loved ones.

I can't tell you how many times I see some sort of wild accusation or claim that is completely false but people just automatically assume it's true and share it as it explodes like wild fire. I don't want to derail the thread, but what happened in charleston was absolutely horrible. People started sharing how he wasn't even handcuffed when he was arrested and calling it "white privilege" and I had to do everything I could to hold back. Someone thankfully commented and shared a better photograph clearly showing the whack job in handcuffs, then promptly calling out the person sharing the photo. The original sharer of said photo immediately backpedaled and said that posting the photo didn't mean they necessarily "agreed with the photo" but simply that they found it interesting. Why even share that photo then?

But it happens in everything we do these days. Pictures of Obama circulate with some erroneous claim to further divide the masses with politics. People will form opinions based on Facebook pics rather than actually read up on the politicians background and future plans for change.

I cannot stand when police videos are shared that never show the footage prior to people being arrested with what they claim is "excessive force" when there could be every reason in the world to be that violent.

Then there's the fact that our heads are always planted in our phones. We spend less time talking to our family when they are right next to us and take that time for granted. Instead we prefer to read what Timmy has shared on Instagram or the latest Facebook rant.

The only thing I liked from Facebook was a picture that said not all cops are bad, not all whites are racist, etc...

Unfortunately no matter what happens in this world there will always be stereotypes and people forming different perceptions of others from completely opposite ends of the spectrum. The only way it changes is with generations raising the next properly. We can't flip a switch overnight. It's going to take generations. And the wild crap on social media doesn't make it any better IMO

EDIT: Photo found and added, can't tell you how many people see this and believe he wasn't handcuffed because he was white. He was clearly handcuffed and there are plenty of images out there, but yes Facebook I believe everything in my news feed and never do any research.

The comment firing back was sound, its not privilege but protocol (protecting them so they live to see their trial)

Last edited by Blindside_137; 06-24-2015 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #15
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Doubled edged sword my friend.

On one end, i'm with you in what you're saying. Minors need to stop thinking about discrimination so much and work their asses off. They gotta stop waiting for hand-me-downs and actually put in work.
Major congrats to you and your family for pulling through. I can relate. I came to this country at age 13 with a widowed mom and 4 other siblings. Talk about being DIRT POOR. But after working hard, we pulled through. NOTHING was ever handed to me or us.

On the other end of the sword, minorities especially Blacks aren't treated equally AT ALL! I'll be the first one in line to testify. So when they complain, i can definitely feel for them.
For instance, plenty of times I've had White Cops, teachers and work managers, look at me wrong. When they first meet me, they automatically have this anger and confused look in their face.
It's like i'm a piece of shit to them. But as soon as they hear my accent... the world changes. They smile and treat me differently and with more respect.
The only conclusion i can draw is that: When they first saw me (Black male) they automatically thought of a useless, dead beat broke drug smuggling rapper thug. Then when they hear my accent, they quickly realize i'm foreign and i'm actually serious.

Back in 2003, when i was taking a semester at a local community college. I sat in the back on this class, i kept to myself. I did my work really really good but the Professor kept giving me D's and F's.
I kept thinking i needed to do more reading. But towards the end of the semester, i got fed up with the bullshit and walked up to her after class.

I SHIT YOU NOT!

after talking to her she said "OMG! i love your accent" "Where are you from?" "You know what, i'm gonna pass you" "I thought you were one of them"

I SHIT YOU NOT!

So this dumb professor was purposely failing me because she taught i was a typical Black man in America and never actually took her time to really read my projects.

Back in those days i was a shy quiet kid so i never reported her.
Wow, what an eye opener mate. I hope that you reported this professor for failing people, not based on their performance in class, but on their appearance. That means that others in your class should have passed, but maybe didn't. And others that actually needed help might have not gotten help. And just passing your for your accent, that doesn't make any sense either.

But you're right on the image part. It makes it very, very difficult for someone like yourself who is not that way, to break away from that stereotype.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #16
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
I think social media has made virtually every aspect of life, worse. Politics, racism, police interactions, and worst of all our relationships with loved ones.

I can't tell you how many times I see some sort of wild accusation or claim that is completely false but people just automatically assume it's true and share it as it explodes like wild fire. I don't want to derail the thread, but what happened in charleston was absolutely horrible. People started sharing how he wasn't even handcuffed when he was arrested and calling it "white privilege" and I had to do everything I could to hold back. Someone thankfully commented and shared a better photograph clearly showing the whack job in handcuffs, then promptly calling out the person sharing the photo. The original sharer of said photo immediately backpedaled and said that posting the photo didn't mean they necessarily "agreed with the photo" but simply that they found it interesting. Why even share that photo then?

But it happens in everything we do these days. Pictures of Obama circulate with some erroneous claim to further divide the masses with politics. People will form opinions based on Facebook pics rather than actually read up on the politicians background and future plans for change.

I cannot stand when police videos are shared that never show the footage prior to people being arrested with what they claim is "excessive force" when there could be every reason in the world to be that violent.

Then there's the fact that our heads are always planted in our phones. We spend less time talking to our family when they are right next to us and take that time for granted. Instead we prefer to read what Timmy has shared on Instagram or the latest Facebook rant.

The only thing I liked from Facebook was a picture that said not all cops are bad, not all whites are racist, etc...

Unfortunately no matter what happens in this world there will always be stereotypes and people forming different perceptions of others from completely opposite ends of the spectrum. The only way it changes is with generations raising the next properly. We can't flip a switch overnight. It's going to take generations. And the wild crap on social media doesn't make it any better IMO
Could not agree more. Social media is a destructive movement and only brings negativity. It creates jealousy, is used for bullying, spreading false information, antagonizing, instigating, etc. etc. I hope that one day, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram both crash and they never bring the servers back up. It would be good for humanity.
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #17
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Could not agree more. Social media is a destructive movement and only brings negativity. It creates jealousy, is used for bullying, spreading false information, antagonizing, instigating, etc. etc. I hope that one day, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram both crash and they never bring the servers back up. It would be good for humanity.
Amen. Glad I don't have a facebook account.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #18
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
But as soon as they hear my accent... the world changes. They smile and treat me differently and with more respect.
No shit, with your accent, I could probably get away with murder.

Hey btw boss, could you send me a little sound clip saying "time to wake up motherfucker" with a deep Denzel laugh at the end? I don't use an alarm to wake up that often and when I do, I never respect it enough to actually wake up. You would be doing me a great service.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #19
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

I don't really think it's "on the rise".

Last Week with John Oliver actually had an excellent piece on something very similar and it focused on "revenge porn" and how it's ruined peoples' lives and in many states, it's 100% legal and there isn't shit the person can do with it.

And how authorities seem ill equipped at dealing with things such as death/rape threats via social media. They showed instances where a person's personal information (address, full name, etc.) were posted in social media along with death threats and there are no legal repercussions for this sort of unnecessary behavior.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #20
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Could not agree more. Social media is a destructive movement and only brings negativity. It creates jealousy, is used for bullying, spreading false information, antagonizing, instigating, etc. etc.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwa...nderstand-why/

Technology allows more people to become depressed faster than ever before.
      06-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #21
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
I did my work really really good but the Professor kept giving me D's and F's.
No, you did your work very well*

Just messing but yeah you're story isn't atypical at all unfortunately. Discrimination is certainly still out there but to the OP's question, I'm not sure if it's rising, it's just these same people who discriminate now have a method to voice their opinions to a wider audience.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #22
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Seeing people perpetuate false information on social media drives me up the wall.

I can't tell you how many people I have un-friended/blocked because of it. Given, I was never very close with them in the first place, but after you try to correct someone they always backpedal with the "well my opinion..." story. You're "opinion" is based on false information and it helps perpetuate the ignorance of the social media world.

Social media could do such great things, but people are just plain idiots. One article that I read earlier this week I wholeheartedly agree with. It basically says that racism, privilege, gun violence, none of that is killing America. Anti-intellectualism is.

Quote:
In a country where a sitting congressman told a crowd that evolution and the Big Bang are “lies straight from the pit of hell,” (link is external) where the chairman of a Senate environmental panel brought a snowball (link is external) into the chamber as evidence that climate change is a hoax, where almost one in three citizens can’t name the vice president (link is external), it is beyond dispute that critical thinking has been abandoned as a cultural value. Our failure as a society to connect the dots, to see that such anti-intellectualism comes with a huge price, could eventually be our downfall.