BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-08-2022, 10:29 PM   #1
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, E60 M5, E28 535i

Blown Front Passenger Door Speaker?

Has anyone else experienced this on the B&O stereo? I noticed a sound like static coming from the passenger door area occasionally a few weeks ago, which would strangely go away if I put the window down and then back up.

It happens rarely enough that I forget about it, but now I am convinced the main driver in the door is blown because on songs with certain deep bass sounds that one seems to distort and resonate horribly. Must say, I'm a bit disappointed, as I haven't even listened to the stereo loudly in this car yet. Can't say what the previous owner did, however....

Anyone else experience something like this? If so, any hope at all that they might meet me halfway on a warranty repair? The car has only been out of warranty for a few months, and it sure seems strange for a speaker in the best stereo they offer in any car to go bad so quickly. Not looking forward to someone pulling the door panel apart.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 12:09 AM   #2
Rsnk60 M6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 GC

I had all my speakers replaced in my M6 last year . So it's possible
      10-09-2022, 05:25 AM   #3
Ironrose
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derived View Post
Has anyone else experienced this on the B&O stereo? I noticed a sound like static coming from the passenger door area occasionally a few weeks ago, which would strangely go away if I put the window down and then back up.

It happens rarely enough that I forget about it, but now I am convinced the main driver in the door is blown because on songs with certain deep bass sounds that one seems to distort and resonate horribly. Must say, I'm a bit disappointed, as I haven't even listened to the stereo loudly in this car yet. Can't say what the previous owner did, however....

Anyone else experience something like this? If so, any hope at all that they might meet me halfway on a warranty repair? The car has only been out of warranty for a few months, and it sure seems strange for a speaker in the best stereo they offer in any car to go bad so quickly. Not looking forward to someone pulling the door panel apart.
I take it you are referring B+W and not B+O .. unless there is B+O offered on the G11/12 in other markets. Sorry for the nerd moment
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 07:19 AM   #4
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derived View Post
Has anyone else experienced this on the B&O stereo?
I think they won't do anything for you and if you get any discount it will be a really big achievement. I would recommend you to buy a second speaker and exchange yourself, you will easily get the job done and there will be a lot of money in your wallet.

When it comes to the theory of replacement and the dismantling of the door side, many people will help you here, even me (good luck with...)

Last edited by LuckyW; 10-09-2022 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #5
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, E60 M5, E28 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironrose View Post
I take it you are referring B+W and not B+O .. unless there is B+O offered on the G11/12 in other markets. Sorry for the nerd moment
Yes, sorry, muscle memory.

LuckyW Thanks for posting that, very interesting. I am always terrified to take apart interiors as they never go back together properly again...door panels aren't so bad usually however.
Appreciate 0