BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

04-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #45
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Those of you who’ve had the work done, have your dealers affixed the below referenced label? If so, any pictures of same? Thanks.

“First check if a Service Action label with a code number 721 is already attached to the A-pillar. If a code number 721 has already been punched out, the Campaign has already been performed and no further action is necessary.”

“This Service Action has been assigned code number 721. After the vehicle has been checked and/or corrected, obtain a label (SD 92-464) and:

Emboss your BMW center warranty number in the middle of the label (1);
Punch out code number 721 (2), printed on the label; and
Affix the label to the B-pillar as shown.

If the vehicle already has a label from a previous Service Action/Recall Campaign, affix the new label next to the old one. Do not affix one label on top of another one, because a number from an underlying label could appear in the punched-out hole of the new label.”
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #46
DCamp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750LI

I just bought a 09 750Li w/71k on it and reading this thread is a real eye opener! My 750 is running great and I love the car. The previous owner stated that the turbo's were replaced a few months ago but other than that I have no further history. Concerning this BMW Care Package were should I start, call my local dealer? Warranty ends at the end of next month March 15. Thanks for this thread every ones 7's look awesome and the information is invaluable. Much appreciated!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #47
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCamp View Post
I just bought a 09 750Li w/71k on it and reading this thread is a real eye opener! My 750 is running great and I love the car. The previous owner stated that the turbo's were replaced a few months ago but other than that I have no further history. Concerning this BMW Care Package were should I start, call my local dealer? Warranty ends at the end of next month March 15. Thanks for this thread every ones 7's look awesome and the information is invaluable. Much appreciated!!!
You're welcome. That's what it's all about... Sharing valuable information.
Is day call your sa and tell him about this customer campaign.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #48
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

I have another update on this one. I had my Customer Care Package (recall) done on my engine about a month and a half ago and about 2 weeks ago I had the check engine light come on and the drive train malfunction error show up on my idrive screen. I took it to BMW and they say that my new injectors were no good and they needed them replaced. Of course with this big recall going on they had no injectors in stock so I have to book an appointment in a week or two to get it fixed.

I suggest anyone that has this customer care package done should go out and put the car into sport mode + and go bang a few wide open full throttle red line gear changes and see if they actually fixed anything or if they just wasted your time.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #49
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Although I haven't had that issue after getting the repairs done, I concur.
      05-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #50
petgibson
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

own the same engine if i hadnt read this would of never known. many thanks
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #51
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by petgibson View Post
own the same engine if i hadnt read this would of never known. many thanks
      05-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #52
khaled chouk
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7L 2011

just done !
the power I feel with the new injectors is amazing on my alpina B7!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #53
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep

My new injectors really took a lot of the lag out of the machine. It felt like it was a fair bit smoother. When I was talking to the service guy he said the rubbers around the injectors would over heat and it would cause them to fail which caused the machine to have extra fuel in the cylinder. This could ultimately cause the machine to burn too rich and too much fuel and in the extreme cause cause hydrolock and engine failure. The new injectors took a lot of the harshness from the engine away. When I had the old injectors you could feel the engine burbling somewhat like a diesel but with the new ones that has really toned down a lot and made the machine feel a lot smoother.

Road & Track had an article about the customer care packages in their latest issue. Basically it sounds like it was a lot of huey about their engineers mistook how these machines would be driven here in North America. The assumed the engines would spend more time coasting and less time cruising and would be properly broken in with high speed runs and lots of pulls from stops. We here and NA don't have Autobahns but rather we have interstates and highways where we drive for 500km at 100km/h without touching the brakes or moving the needle on the cruise control. They programmed the alternator to only hold a charge under those conditions and they never really refill the empty battery. Coupled with the hot engines that require fans to keep blowing on them after they have been turned off the batteries were getting drained. The gaskets were never getting properly seated, and the machines were just genuinely unhappy. Rather than changing the alternator control systems to bump it up to charge more and face a potential lawsuit from the undoubtable loss of mileage the folks at BMW decided to lower the oil change interval and replace the battery with every oil change so the battery never gets fully drained.

I've never really liked these "Energy Dynamics" ideas from BMW. I was given a loaner 323i when my 7 and M5 were in the shop and I drove it for 300km in full eco mode. It said that because I was in full eco mode I saved 2.7 km of range during the drive. Now that I know what that means for the battery I know that the car probably just uncoupled the alternator from the drive belt and I ended up saving 0.1 liters of fuel at the cost for ~3% of the battery life. Assuming the battery gets replaced every 10,000km, and if the battery is around 300 bucks that means that savings of 2.7km cost me 9 dollars worth of total battery life.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #54
GlobalHI2187
Registered
Rep
Drives: 750i XDRIVE M-SPORTLINE

Thumbs up New Engine And Extended Warranty

MY 750 ONLY HAD 29,000 MILES WHEN I TOOK MY CAR INTO EMERGENCY SERVICE TO HAVE THE CARE PACKAGE DONE ON MY CAR... FIRST IT STARTED AS AN DRIVE TRAIN MALFUNCTION SIGNAL ON MY SCREEN AND THEN AN EMERGENCY FAILURE IN RED LETTERS AND BATTERY FAILURE WHEN MY CAR CAME TO A COMPLETE STOP. WHEN I TURNED IT BACK ON, THE CAR WAS CHUGGING AND SHAKING AS IF IT HAD 200,000 MILES AND BEEN THROUGH WAR. I CALLED ROADSIDE AND HAD THE CAR TOWED INTO MY BMW SERVICE CENTER AND 11 WEEKS LATER THEY COMPLETELY REPLACED MY ENGINE WITH A NEW ONE... BMW OF AMERICA HAS ISSUED ME A $1,000 CHECK, EXTENDED MY WARRANTY ANOTHER TWO YEARS AND GIVEN ME A $2,000 CREDIT TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF A NEW BMW... EVEN THOUGH MY CAR HAS A NEW ENGINE, IT IS NOW MAKING A NOISE FROM THE TRANSMISSION... IT SUCKS BECAUSE THE SOUND IS REALLY ANNOYING AND THE DEALER IS GIVING ME A HARD TIME TO FIX THE ISSUE.

WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR 750 IN FOR THIS "CARE PACKAGE" PLEASE CALL BMW OF AMERICA AND STRESS THE FACT THAT YOUR ENGINE IS REALLY SHAKING AND MAKING LOUD GRIND NOISES. ALSO, THAT YOU DESERVE COMPENSATION FOR THE TIME YOUR CAR IS AT SERVICE, SINCE THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE YOU CAUSED. THEY WILL COMPENSATE YOU IN SOME TYPE OF WAY.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #55
paprmkr
BMW Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60 w/M-Performance ki

do you happen to have the contact info for BMW department you contacted? I bought my car used but since own its been in shop for one thing or other. finally CCP done and seamed to work better but transmission was acting up. had transmission replace by bmw. but took some persistence
Still to this day i am not confidant that my oil lever sensor is correct and engine still shakes at idle.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #56
The Beast (750Li)
Rep

This is an awesome thread and should be sticky to the top of the forums. I learned a LOT reading this. Brought my 750 into the shop for recurring oil loss and battery discharge last Monday. Then told there's a timing chain test and, if it fails, a new timing chain. It failed. I was also advised it needed all of the other "customer care packages" applied.

We are now into the first full week of the dealer having the car and doing the timing chain and the other "customer care" items. Driving around in a nice new 4 series coupe that really highlights the core strengths (and weaknesses) of my 750.

Based on this and some posts elsewhere and some 3rd party links, I find it hard to believe that the BMW solution, after tearing the motor apart etc, to the depleting battery issue -- a design flaw, after all -- is . . . replace the battery every 10,000 miles using the oil change as the driver.

What about those of us about to go off warranty? I'm not taking on $561 to every oil change...

Last edited by The Beast (750Li); 07-13-2015 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #57
The Beast (750Li)
Rep

Adding on to my previous post: is there master list of "Customer Care" actions -- not recalls -- for the 750 motor (N63) or related issues.

I have a list of 4, with service number, so far, from going through this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #58
Netm8kr
Rep
Drives: 2013 740li Xdrive

This "Sticky" Post is Awesome. But I have a question...

Hey Guys. I'm new to this group but getting the exact type of information I'd hoped for.

I'm about to purchase a 2012 750li X-drive with less than 19k miles. Would it be a safe bet that either this car hasn't been affected by these known issues? Or, that they may have already been dealt with?

I plan to get it checked out by BMW immediately after purchase. As I want to get it certified for their extended warranty. Is it right to expect that inspection to catch those issues????

Thanks for the help, and valued information...

Peace...Netm8kr
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #59
The Beast (750Li)
Rep

I'd say you have the motor (N63 not N63tu)that will need the work, if it hasn't already had it (and at 19k miles, it probably hasn't even shown signs it will). Somebody posted how BMW "marks" vehicles for this sort of work in another thread -- IIRC involved looking at a metal decal placed on a post?

This group has been a godsend for me in terms of becoming informed.

I'm entering week 3 of driving a (free) loaner so this is non-trivial work.

Holy cow BMW must be losing a boatload of money on these, in the attempt to make it right.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #60
The Beast (750Li)
Rep

For those who may be interested: I am now into week #3 of the dealer working on my 750 with these "customer care" updates.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #61
Netm8kr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast (750Li) View Post
I'd say you have the motor (N63 not N63tu)that will need the work, if it hasn't already had it (and at 19k miles, it probably hasn't even shown signs it will). Somebody posted how BMW "marks" vehicles for this sort of work in another thread -- IIRC involved looking at a metal decal placed on a post?

This group has been a godsend for me in terms of becoming informed.

I'm entering week 3 of driving a (free) loaner so this is non-trivial work.

Holy cow BMW must be losing a boatload of money on these, in the attempt to make it right.
I actually just left a local BMW dealership during lunch. I wanted to ask some direct questions to a service advisor. Was trying to get some expectations of the service plan. I never knew they covered everything except tires and alignments. I would've been back into bimmers 6 cars ago. I remember reading about getting a car certified if it passed certain standards. I was trying to get a confirmation on that. The car I'm considering isn't at a bmw dealer. So I need to know these things up front. Also want to be clear on the best extended warranty plans. They directed me to another person that handles those things. Haven't spoke with them yet. Peace...Netm8kr
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #62
Netm8kr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netm8kr View Post
I actually just left a local BMW dealership during lunch. I wanted to ask some direct questions to a service advisor. Was trying to get some expectations of the service plan. I never knew they covered everything except tires and alignments. I would've been back into bimmers 6 cars ago. I remember reading about getting a car certified if it passed certain standards. I was trying to get a confirmation on that. The car I'm considering isn't at a bmw dealer. So I need to know these things up front. Also want to be clear on the best extended warranty plans. They directed me to another person that handles those things. Haven't spoke with them yet. Peace...Netm8kr
I just spoke with a BMW finance person in reference to this specific vehicle and an extended warranty. I can get an additional 3yrs/70,000 mile warranty on it. He says that was better than then length a CPO would give me of the same year. So, it sounds like the purchase will take place in the very near future indeed. Thanks for all the knowledge shared on this forum. Its made me a very informed buyer. I'll be sure to post pictures once it happens. It's a beauty.

Peace...Netm8kr
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #63
The Beast (750Li)
Rep

Got my 750 back and 12 pages of work invoice details -- they basically rebuilt everything under hood. It took them about 3 weeks.

It drives like its brand new. The motor is much more muscular than when I took it in (it has 64k miles).

No thank you gift, however, as mentioned by others.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #64
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast (750Li) View Post
Got my 750 back and 12 pages of work invoice details -- they basically rebuilt everything under hood. It took them about 3 weeks.

It drives like its brand new. The motor is much more muscular than when I took it in (it has 64k miles).

No thank you gift, however, as mentioned by others.

Glad to hear that! Definitely a huge difference indeed. A damn shame though that we have/had to endure this BS from the start.

I have been monitoring my mpg, and although slightly better, still atrocious. Those of you who had this campaign done, did you receive this "updated larger amp Battery"?
      07-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #65
The Beast (750Li)
Rep

Did not get larger amp battery -- or at least not called out on paperwork. They did replace the battery last service visit about 3 months ago -- how would I know if it was larger amperage? IS there a code for that.

Gas mileage is, if anything, worse than before (haven't seen mileage this bad since an Aston Martin) BUT I am driving it in SPORT mode non-stop as per advice from another poster after the car getting this major a service.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #66
navinbusy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 750xi

Great info on this thread.. I just bought a 2010 750li X with 98k miles. It was one owner car will almost all extra packages except rear lux seating. The car has warranty for the next 2000 miles / end of Oct. It had the cust care package done couple months before I bought the car. I took the car in for rear brake replacement and seat thigh support replacement. After 3 days I got the Drivetrain Malfunction message and the scanner told cylinder 6 was misfiring. It happens only when driving at high rpms (5000+). It goes away when the car is turned off and turned on. However the check engine light stays on. I cleared the service light and took it a drive. No issues if I keep the RPM below 5000. Doesn't matter which mode you are in if the revs go higher than 5000+ I get the Drivetrain malfunction message again. The car goes to limp mode and engine vibrates when the car is at slow speed(5mph) or stand still.
Took it to the dealer and they said its a bad injector (mine were index 12). Next day they found that the fuel line was cracked and I had to wait for the parts another day. At least I got a loaner X5 to drive around.
Appreciate 0