BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

04-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

"Edmunds" adds a new F01 750i to their long term fleet! Check the long term blog....!

I dont work for edmunds but they are doing things that I would do ,if I were running a car magazine/website of my own

And moderator's or admins : If this is a repost, I'm sorry but I couldn't find anything on a long term 750i on this forum.

Enjoy!
750i long term blog

The first article from edmunds is given below.

Quote:
While a V12-powered 760 is most likely in the works, the U.S.-spec 2009 7 Series (F01 is BMW's internal engineering code for the car) is currently available only with a twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 and six-speed automatic transmission. This new engine effectively matches the performance of the V12 in the previous-generation 760Li, yet is less expensive and more environmentally friendly. The all-new power plant is rated at 400 hp at 5,500 rpm and 450 pound-feet of torque at only 1,800 rpm.

The EPA rates this drivetrain at 22 mpg highway, which is kind of impressive. Of course, if you stand on it, the speedometer needle will sweep to 60 mph in just over 5 seconds without a whir, buzz or roar, pressing you deep into the backrest of the massive, thronelike seats. It's then you're thankful that this big car has appropriately superb brakes attached to 19-inch wheels which are wrapped in turn by surprisingly sticky Michelin Excellence tires — 245/40R19s in front and 275/40R19s in the back. Together it's a combination that hauls the behemoth down from 60 mph in only 112 feet. Kind of impressive when you remember that the 2009 BMW 750i weighs 4,599 pounds.

iDrive has previously turned even the most tech-savvy automotive journalist into a version of cranky old television commentator Andy Rooney. Frustration with this all-singing, all-dancing control interface for a BMW's entertainment, navigation, ventilation and mechanical calibration has produced countless rants urging a return to paper maps and suspension settings that can be changed only with a toolbox. Thankfully BMW got the message (finally). The F01 7 Series also sports a fully retooled iDrive system that includes not just new shortcut buttons to back up the rotary controller plus a large 10.2-inch screen, but also new, more logical software. You can't evaluate such a system in a day, though, so a long-term experience to find its assets and liabilities clearly seemed in order.

The twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 is standard equipment for the new 2009 BMW 750i. It's a whole lot of motor, so it's only right that to keep it on the road we chose the Sport package ($4,900) which adds 19-inch wheels, active roll stabilization and a sport steering wheel (really, have you ever seen a BMW that didn't have the Sport package?). Other options on our new long-termer include a Luxury Seating package ($2,500), satellite radio ($595) and a nifty Camera package ($750) that shows rearview and front sideview monitors for avoiding those tricky curbs that will leap up and bite your fancy sport wheels if you're not careful.

Do the math and all this works out to a lofty total — yet not far from the norm in this class — of $89,870.

Why We Got It
Although we knew that the time was right for us to stray from the usual lifestyle SUV, it's still not an easy emotional decision. What if we need that third row of seats? Or the cargo hatch? Or the extra ground clearance? Or all-wheel drive? A spoonful of sugar, they say, helps the medicine go down. And, well, at almost $90,000 BMW's new flagship is one helluva helping of sugar.

The new forced-induction V8 represents another step in BMW's evolution toward slightly more responsible performance. It's a direction the company is taking seriously, as it's considering reducing engine displacement across the whole range of models — even in the M division cars — and further replacing normally aspirated engines with smaller-displacement turbocharged ones. Maybe there is a replacement for displacement after all.

At the same time, the forced-induction engine in our long-term 2008 BMW 135i has received mixed reviews during its time with us. While no one doubts the power, its soul and presence is in question, as is its real-world fuel economy. As far as the 7 Series is concerned, a luxury sedan is all about presence, so we wonder whether this turbocharged V8 can fill the spiritual gap left by a similarly powerful V12?

The Price of Entry
So, $90 grand? That's a house, or at least a cottage on a lake. Here in SoCal, of course, it wouldn't get you a driveway, and as far as cars go, $90,000 worth of metal ain't even getting a prime spot at the valet. And yet the 2009 BMW 750i might be different.

Those of us who have driven this car have been surprised that the price tag is below six figures instead of above. It's that good. But such impressions are not really the point of our long-term tests, though; we knew it was good after the 750i first drive. Now we've got 12 months to put 20,000 miles on our new 2009 BMW 750i and really evaluate what we get for $90,000.

Will we miss our cheaper, larger, yet less luxurious luxury SUV? Will the new 7 be able to handle real road trips with real families? Will Director of Vehicle Testing Dan Edmunds take it on his now-famous annual family vacation to Oregon? Will we, at the end of the day, question the sanity of purchasing such a vehicle as it sits in our long-term garage door-to-door with a 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan that's almost the same size and retails for only $40,000?

Stay tuned to the long-term blogs for real-world driving impressions of the 2009 BMW 750i.

Current Odometer: 3,953
Best Fuel Economy: N/A
Worst Fuel Economy: N/A
Average Fuel Economy (over the life of the vehicle): 14.4 mpg
Quote:
Base MSRP of Test Vehicle: $81125

Options on Test Vehicle: Sport Package ($4,900 — includes Integral Active Steering, Active Roll Stabilization, sport steering wheel, 19-inch wheels); Luxury Seating Package ($2,500 — includes ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, power rear sunshades, Active Driver's Seat, ski bag pass-through); Camera Package ($750 — includes rearview and sideview cameras); Satellite Radio ($595).

MSRP of Test Vehicle: $89870

Last edited by OBI_agent; 04-21-2009 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Thanks for the post and link!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0