BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

07-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Tripod Talk

I did a quick search and the tripod threads are nearly 2 years old. I've got a trip coming up where i think i'm going to want to have a tripod with me. I've got one, but it's heavy and bulky. The travel light thread didn't have much tripod substance in it so i figured I'd start a tripod specific thread.

I'm looking for something that can handle a 5Diii & 70-200, relatively small, and light weight. Anyone have suggestions for tripod and heads?

Also, i picked up some Peak Design camera strap/retention system stuff. Are their tripod heads that are comparable with those peak design plates?
      07-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I concur
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i

Lots of heads are compatible with the peak design plate.

https://support.peakdesign.com/hc/en...ure-work-with-

For travel I have a Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod and have several different heads. Any of them with an RC2 plate look like they would work for your system. It's a tough question, but I will say don't waste your money on a cheap tripod, they just end up frustrating you to no end.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
Lots of heads are compatible with the peak design plate.

https://support.peakdesign.com/hc/en...ure-work-with-

For travel I have a Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod and have several different heads. Any of them with an RC2 plate look like they would work for your system. It's a tough question, but I will say don't waste your money on a cheap tripod, they just end up frustrating you to no end.
Thanks!

I'm guessing that i'm looking for a carbon fiber, 4 section leg tripod in order to be small with legs retracted and light.

I have this Manfrotto ball head. But even though it's rated for what my body and heavy lens weighs, i have to have the tensioner as tight as possible to get it to hold position when it's off top dead center. Because of that, it makes the positioning of everything kind of sticky. I'm assuming another ball head that has a higher weight capacity will likely be smoother in action than this.

07-27-2015, 05:19 AM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Thanks!

I'm guessing that i'm looking for a carbon fiber, 4 section leg tripod in order to be small with legs retracted and light.

I have this Manfrotto ball head. But even though it's rated for what my body and heavy lens weighs, i have to have the tensioner as tight as possible to get it to hold position when it's off top dead center. Because of that, it makes the positioning of everything kind of sticky. I'm assuming another ball head that has a higher weight capacity will likely be smoother in action than this.

I have this one, and cannot say I'm a big fan. Thinking about throwing it on Craigslist and buying another tripid/head setup. Thanks for starting this thread, looking forward to seeing what people has as far as feedback is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #6
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Carbon fiber tripods: http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/20...ted-and-rated/

Tripod heads: http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/20...ted-and-rated/
      07-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #7
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Just a word about Manfrotto heads. Instead of Arca-Swiss compatible quick-release plates, Manfrotto has several proprietary quick-release plates. They don't even make adapters to go between their various plates.

I owned Manfrotto, but got fed up with their various quick-release plates and went to an Arca-Swiss Z1 ballhead on Induro legs.
      07-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #8
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

This seems to be an intriguing combo for travel.

3.5 Pounds, Folded length is 22", max height is 62", payload is 22#s. Should hold a 5Diii and 70-200 just fine.

Only drawback for me is the twist locks for the legs, i was looking for lever action legs. The sheer number of tripods available is daunting.

http://www.indurogear.com/products/induro-gtt104m1.aspx
      07-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Benro makes so great carbon fiber travel sized tripods. I have one myself. Actually, I have like 4 tripods lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

Quote:

3.5 Pounds, Folded length is 22", max height is 62", payload is 22#s. Should hold a 5Diii and 70-200 just fine.

Only drawback for me is the twist locks for the legs, i was looking for lever action legs. The sheer number of tripods available is daunting.

Twist legs will be faster than lever locks once you get used to it. I'll never go back to lever locks.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #11
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

If you want a super nice tripod, look at Really Right Stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #12
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:

Twist locks are faster than you think. You can do one, two or three at once when opening and it's only a half-turn. I've had levers and twist and prefer twist.

When I bought my Induro, I was able to compare to Gitzo in the same store. Six-years later, I'm still very happy with my choice.

Dave
      07-27-2015, 11:43 PM   #13
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Twist locks are faster than you think. You can do one, two or three at once when opening and it's only a half-turn. I've had levers and twist and prefer twist.

When I bought my Induro, I was able to compare to Gitzo in the same store. Six-years later, I'm still very happy with my choice.

Dave
Which legs did you get?
      07-28-2015, 12:11 AM   #14
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

Also, Markins makes great ball heads. I'd only consider Markins, RRS, and Arca-Swiss heads.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Which legs did you get?
Sorry, Induro C-414. That's their heaviest carbon fiber model at the time, since I was using it for a 500mm lens. It fits in a large suitcase.

Dave
      07-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #16
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahero4eternity View Post
Also, Markins makes great ball heads. I'd only consider Markins, RRS, and Arca-Swiss heads.
My Arca-Swiss Z1 will hold a huge load, yet it's smooth as can be. Not cheap, but worth the money. When I'm using it with my 500mm, I add a Wimberley Sidekick, which is also a great piece of kit.

Go with a ballhead for general usage; however, the lesser brands can slip or even move as you tighten to lock-down.

Dave
      07-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #17
Merlin_83
Merlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I did a quick search and the tripod threads are nearly 2 years old. I've got a trip coming up where i think i'm going to want to have a tripod with me. I've got one, but it's heavy and bulky. The travel light thread didn't have much tripod substance in it so i figured I'd start a tripod specific thread.

I'm looking for something that can handle a 5Diii & 70-200, relatively small, and light weight. Anyone have suggestions for tripod and heads?

Also, i picked up some Peak Design camera strap/retention system stuff. Are their tripod heads that are comparable with those peak design plates?
Go to lensrentals.com - I have rented all sorts of gear from these guys since 2008. Super fun to rent big,big lens I could never justify buying. I have rented the Canon 300mm f/2.8 numerous times and got great shots. I have also rented many tripods and ball head assemblies too, check them out,

Best,
Merlin

2012 E92 M3 ZCP | 2008 E90 335xi | 2008 E90 335i |
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #18
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, Induro C-414. That's their heaviest carbon fiber model at the time, since I was using it for a 500mm lens. It fits in a large suitcase.

Dave
Quote:
My Arca-Swiss Z1 will hold a huge load, yet it's smooth as can be. Not cheap, but worth the money. When I'm using it with my 500mm, I add a Wimberley Sidekick, which is also a great piece of kit.

Go with a ballhead for general usage; however, the lesser brands can slip or even move as you tighten to lock-down.

Dave
That's kind of the thing. The heaviest gear combo i own totals 5 pounds. (5Diii & 70-200is 2.8) I'm not sure i nee the Arca-Swiss Z1. It's rated at something like 135 pounds.

I'm inclined to get something that has a load capacity that is 17 to 22 pounds. thats about 4 times what my gear weights. And I'm only inclined to do that because of that Manfrotto head which is rated at 11 pounds but barely holds a 5Diii and 24-702.8 at an angel, if you bump it, it'll tilt all the way over.

I was at my ONLY local photography shop this morning and they have nothing of a tripod selection. They had a Sirui travel tripod that seemed very sturdy. I put a 1D on it with a 24-70 lens and all of a sudden it seems a little bit flimsy. In the store i would have guessed it was only rated for about 5 pounds. But with a visit to their website i see it's rated for 17 pounds. The ball head however held the body lens combo with no problem, and it was a tiny ball head. So maybe i want to go with a more robust set of legs and i can cut back on the cost of the head. I was set to get Gitzo Series 2 Mountaineer and the Z1 ball head last night. But your comment about comparing Induro and Gitzo side by side sent me looking again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_83 View Post
Go to lensrentals.com - I have rented all sorts of gear from these guys since 2008. Super fun to rent big,big lens I could never justify buying. I have rented the Canon 300mm f/2.8 numerous times and got great shots. I have also rented many tripods and ball head assemblies too, check them out,

Best,
Merlin
Not a bad idea, rent what i've got in mind for my trip and decide to purchase later. I'm leaving in 30 days, so i have to get something figured out. I don't want to take my current tripod.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 07-28-2015 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #19
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

With regards to features and specs, i'm liking both of these.

The Benro FTA28CC - $350.00 At B&H
http://www.benrousa.com/products/tra...o-fta28cc.aspx

The Sirui W1204 - $495.00 At B&H
http://www.sirui.eu/en/products/tripods/w-serie/

I've recently handled a Sirui tripod of lesser value, features, etc... and it felt like a very nice tripod.

Lensrenters rents out Benro tripods, so i'm assuming they are durable.

Benro FTA28CC

Material - Carbon Fiber
Maximum Load - 30.9 lb (14 kg)
Max Height (24° Leg Angle) w/Column Extended - 61 in (15.5 cm)
Max Height (24° Leg Angle) w/Column Retracted - 47.8 in (121.3 cm)
Minimum Height - 17.1 in (43.4 cm)
Maximum Height - 61 in (155 cm)
Folded Length - 17.1 in (43.43 cm)
Number of Leg Sections - 4
Leg Lock Type - Twist Lock
Weight - 3 lb (1.36 kg)
Warranty - 5 years (3 years at purchase + 2 years after online registration)

Sirui W1204

Material - Carbon Fiber
Maximum Load - 39.6 lb (18 kg)
Max Height (24° Leg Angle) w/Column Extended - 65.5 in (166.5 cm)
Max Height (24° Leg Angle) w/Column Retracted - 53.9 in (137 cm)
Minimum Height - 5.7 in (14.5 cm)
Maximum Height - 65.5 in (166.5 cm)
Folded Length - 19.3 in (49 cm)
Number of Leg Sections - 4
Leg Lock Type - Twist Lock
Weight - 3.2 lb (1.45 kg)
Warranty - 6 years (6 years at purchase)

Additional features.

They both have a detachable leg that converts to a monopod.
They both come with carry bags and interchangeable spike feet.
Sirui claims their twist leg joints are water and dust proof. (a plus for me if it isn't just marking)

I guess i need to figure out if the lower minimal height and "waterproof" legs are worth $145. The 6" minimal height is worth quite a bit to me, so i'm leaning this way. I've read lots of good things about Sirui in product reviews and forums.
      07-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #20
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Joe,

Both of those look good to me and the detachable monopod is a nice plus, assuming it doesn't compromise stability.

Compare user reviews of those and the Induro on a site like B&H.

Dave
      08-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #21
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Joe, which one did you end up getting?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #22
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

The Sirui W1204 and Sirui Kx10 ball head.

I've messed around with it for a while. Done some test shots on my previous tripod and new one. Some 6 second exposure without mirror lock up or remote/timer release. It's stable enough to shoot long exposure without using a remote release. So very sturdy.

New tripod handles 39 pounds and the new ball head handles 44 pounds. I'm very impressed with how precise everything feels. All movement in the ball head feels like your operating a very precise hydraulic filled mechanism. The twist locks on the carbon fiber legs are 1/2 turn to unlock and same to lock. Legs have the same precise feel when you're moving them. Came with a very nice padded bag, shoulder strap, tools, spike feet. I'm excited to have a tripod that is easier to travel with now.

My old tripod without a head weighs more than the new tripod and ball head together. And in it's folded position it's about 11" shorter than my existing unit with a head.

Pic is over my old tripod without a head and the new one folded with the head attached. For reference that tile is 23" long.

The head uses the Arca-swiss type quick release so it works with all my Peak Design plates. I like it all so far. I don't have a lot of experience with different tripods, but i do have plenty of experience with mechanical items that are made with tight tolerances and these Sirui products, from my initial impression, are very nicely constructed products which use quality materials.

Here is a pic of the ball head.