BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

05-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #1
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

My attempt at car photography...

Please give me pointers

I use to have a canon Xsi but recently sold it and replaced it with a Canon 70D and kit lens 18-135mm. I used the Xsi for a few years but stopped due to lack of interest..

Most of my photography has been with my iPhone 5S in the last couple of years. I just shot these over the weekend and it seems that my color balance is way off. I used the sunlight settings instead of auto white balance. My X5 is Space Gray so the picture is presenting more blueish hue.
I shot in Manual and these are untouched photos which I original shot in RAW but changed to Jpeg in order to post them here.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

My suggestion (as I am a noob), is that it looks like in some photographs you are trying to capture the whole car. However you blurred out the further away part of the car. You can correct this by going to a small aperture and and slowing down the shutter.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Trijicon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I would park your car somewhere else, a parking lot is not the most ideal backdrop. The sky is casting the blue hue, you'll need to dial the blue down in software to remove it. As for composition, I'd start looking at other images on magazines and start developing your style.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

It will take quite a bit of practice. I think there's a saying that your first 100,000 photos will be crap before you take a decent one. Even when I shoot cars now, I'll take a few hundred of them and only really like a handful.

Read up on the rule of thirds. The way you compose a photo can make a big difference in the overall feel of the setting. Be careful which aperture you use. I see you were shooting on f/4 or so in a few photos, which caused blurriness. That would work in something like your last photo, where you are dialing in on the detail of the car. But when shooting the whole car, you want to make sure the whole car is in focus. So bump it up a few stops, and then see the results. A good way to practice this is to set up your camera and take a photo at f4, then f5.6, f8, f10, etc. etc. Then see what that does to your photos.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Thank you guys! Please continue with more criticism and advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Location and lighting.

Shot early in the morning, or late in the evening. Mid day with bright sun is a difficult shoot. Mid day with complete cloud cover is nearly ideal. Kind of like shooting in a studio.

Try different lenses, focal lengths, and distances from the car. If you find a structure you want to use for a back drop, park the car a good distance away from it. Usually don't want to be right up on it.

Keep that horizon level, especially on straight on front or rear shots. Get as centered as you can and level the horizon. Check the difference this one simple adjustment makes. ....Well that and a bit of color adjustment.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 05-07-2015 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
Kzang
Major General
Rep

I will post the raw format picture when I get home.

Thanks everyone for your tips!
Appreciate 0