BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Closed Thread

03-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #89
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

A person driving a car in a sea of autonomous cars will cause chaos. Thought process different and will screw up all those flesh pods.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #90
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
A person driving a car in a sea of autonomous cars will cause chaos. Thought process different and will screw up all those flesh pods.
Human drivers will absolutely troll autonomous vehicles. The weaknesses in the system will put them at a major disadvantage in a congested, competitive environment like the NY-Metro area. It will be easy for a human to manipulate their system to allow them to get in front of automated vehicles in traffic.
      03-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #91
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yep that was my thought as well can take their parking spots, get thru lights, whatever
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #92
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

http://moralmachine.mit.edu/
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      03-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #93
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Meh. Self driving or not, manuals are going away. The old cars are still here (for now) at least. The way I see it, if everybody else gets a self-driving EV, the roads I travel will be safer and there will be more gas left for me bring on the revolution
Until the real next Obama comes in an just flat out bans human driven vehicles. Be careful of what you wish for my friend.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #94
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Human drivers will absolutely troll autonomous vehicles. The weaknesses in the system will put them at a major disadvantage in a congested, competitive environment like the NY-Metro area. It will be easy for a human to manipulate their system to allow them to get in front of automated vehicles in traffic.
And the young hackers of the future. What a great way to reek havoic.
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4653.00
      03-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #95
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
"Fine for thee, but not for me." Got it.
What are you sad about here? That people want different things?
      03-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #96
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Quote:
If that person is driving responsibly there shouldn’t be a problem. A crazy driver will cause chaos among driverless & human-driven traffic.
      03-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #97
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Until the real next Obama comes in an just flat out bans human driven vehicles. Be careful of what you wish for my friend.
Maybe, maybe not. If I had to guess, I’d say gasoline gets banned first. Hope not.
      03-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #98
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
If that person is driving responsibly there shouldn’t be a problem. A crazy driver will cause chaos among driverless & human-driven traffic.
Right everyone will drive responsibly
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4653.00
      03-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #99
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep

Quote:
Right everyone will drive responsibly
Just like they do today?
      03-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #100
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Exactly you learn to be responsible for your own actions instead of letting someone else think and act for you.
Or you just continue to text/drink/eat/etc and drive until you kill yourself or someone else
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #101
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

All of you peeps who are arguing the points that other peeps are offering only solidify what I believe will happen -- or not, as the case may be -- with autonomous tech:

We will not see widespread private use of fully automated cars within the next generation (20-25 years) in the U.S.

glennQNYC 's post reviewing some predicted liability aspects of the technology bear this out, as well. It basically points to three major things:
- Younger operators will be more likely to sue (this is because suing has become part of the social fabric here, and insurance won't get within five car lengths of a business with a rate of litigation above a certain point)
- Autonomous cars will only be affordable by the upper classes precisely because operating costs, i.e. insurance both personal and corporate, will be inordinately high. (This is why I believe the technology will only become widespread in commercial vehicles such as government-run public transit and some delivery and taxi-type services)
- Civil libertarians will raise absolute holy heck, as will social and fiscal conservatives. Autonomous vehicles may very well reduce fatalities and enable the elderly and physically challenged to be more mobile, but they would also reduce freedom for others. There is no happy-medium tradeoff.

Hey, the tech's great. But I've said this in other threads: The only way it becomes affordable, viable, use-able, and socially accepted on a mass scale is if it operates at a near-perfect level -- and the hardware and computing power to make this possible is not even close to being enough on a portable scale -- and if it allows for a certain amount of personal freedom.
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4653.00
      03-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #102
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
Or you just continue to text/drink/eat/etc and drive until you kill yourself or someone else
That would teach you even quicker lesson.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #103
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Just watched the video from the car 5 times on a 75” Screen tv on nightly news.

1) person killed was not in any crosswalk. Double lane road with medians on both sides. Nothing on the other side of the road where crossing. Makes little sense why someone crossing there.

2) it was dark. And given the video, I suspect a driver would have hit her as well.

3) person killed was wearing black top and dark blue jeans. Only her head and blonde head stood out.

4) she clearly was at fault crossing in front of car for whatever reason

That said, any life loss is sad. Vehicle had lidar and radar. I wonder if it dismissed the return as she should not have been where she was.

Again, I doubt human would have not hit her, given the video.

Proving that this may make driving safer, but nothing can completely stop injuries when humans do dumb things.

https://usat.ly/2DLt9GW

Bottom line, I believe that coding should favor the vehicle occupant SHOULD THE CAR HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG. In this case, the death was the pedestrian’s fault.

While sad, don’t play chicken with a car, at night, in dark clothing while essentially “jaywalking”.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 03-21-2018 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #104
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Wasn't it a Volvo XC90? They're available with pedestrian collision prevention, which I'd imagine their automated fleet must have.

So it seems like a driver or an automated car would both have probably been helped by the underlying technology, if the jay walker had been in a position that would have allowed being detected.

https://support.volvocars.com/en-CA/...a801e8004927e7
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #105
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I wasn't sure if the video was posted here or not (didn't see it), but after watching this video I don't see how the hell anybody could have stopped in time. Nobody's fault here really, poor lady.

https://twitter.com/TempePolice?ref_...-uber-accident
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #106
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
The video quality is so bad, so it makes the situation look a lot worse than it actually was. The lack of contrast in the video makes the road appear dark, but you can see many streetlight, so it was very well lit. The pedestrian didn't just dart out of nowhere, she was crossing slowly, and at only 38mph there was plenty of time for the driver to see her and react.

Basically Uber put a million dollar half assed self driving abortion on the road, equipped it subpar sensors and a 30 dollar ebay dashcam, and trusted the control of that turd to a hillbilly convicted felon.

Can't wait for heads to roll in court.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #107
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
The video quality is so bad, so it makes the situation look a lot worse than it actually was. The lack of contrast in the video makes the road appear dark, but you can see many streetlight, so it was very well lit. The pedestrian didn't just dart out of nowhere, she was crossing slowly, and at only 38mph there was plenty of time for the driver to see her and react.

Basically Uber put a million dollar half assed self driving abortion on the road, equipped it subpar sensors and a 30 dollar ebay dashcam, and trusted the control of that turd to a hillbilly convicted felon.

Can't wait for heads to roll in court.
I watched better feed on Nightly News on 75” and adjusted contrast several times. Also watched frame by frame multiple times.

Again.

Car/Driver had right a way.

She wore dark clothes, no reflector.

jaywalked

Went in front of car, she had no right a way

She violated Multiple Arizona Laws, including, but not limited to, lights on bicycle, recommended reflective vest and no helmet.

http://www.azbikeped.org/bicycling-safety.asp

A defense attorney would love this case and video as it is a slam dunk.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 03-21-2018 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #108
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

The video is pretty dark so not sure if it is the equivalent to what could be seen from the driver's seat - i.e.not sure light from headlights is equivalent for camera angle as it was for driver's seat.

I also watched it several times and the thing that stood out was that she was crossing from the left side of the road to the right. The car was traveling in the right lane, hit her in the right lane and did not seem to slow down or swerve. She was most of the way across the street. It's not the same to me as if she was crossing from right to left and just stepped out in front of the car right before impact.

The whole thing is unfortunate. She shouldn't have crossed like that, so that is clearly the starting point. I'm not certain an attentive human driver would have missed her but I'm also less than certain they wouldn't either. Also doesn't help that the emergency driver behind wheel wasn't watching the road, which sort of defeats the purpose of having anyone there.
      03-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #109
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
The video is pretty dark so not sure if it is the equivalent to what could be seen from the driver's seat - i.e.not sure light from headlights is equivalent for camera angle as it was for driver's seat.

I also watched it several times and the thing that stood out was that she was crossing from the left side of the road to the right. The car was traveling in the right lane, hit her in the right lane and did not seem to slow down or swerve. She was most of the way across the street. It's not the same to me as if she was crossing from right to left and just stepped out in front of the car right before impact.

The whole thing is unfortunate. She shouldn't have crossed like that, so that is clearly the starting point. I'm not certain an attentive human driver would have missed her but I'm also less than certain they wouldn't either. Also doesn't help that the emergency driver behind wheel wasn't watching the road, which sort of defeats the purpose of having anyone there.
She shouldn’t have crossed period.

There is no expectation that she had the right a way.

She also did not speed up to get out if way.

This is a defense attorneys dream case with the video.

Slam dunk.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #110
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post

She shouldnÂ’t have crossed period.

There is no expectation that she had the right a way.

She also did not speed up to get out if way.

This is a defense attorneys dream case with the video.
Not so sure about that. No disputing she should not have crossed in that location. But we have all come across jaywalkers and we all know you don't have the right to run them over just because they jaywalked. As I stated, she was mostly across the road so it's not the same as stepping out in front of a moving car as she stepped off a curb.

Also, the lack of slowing down may be a strong indication that the car's ability to detect anything in front of it may be flawed. She was in the road for long enough to cross 1 1/2 lanes and the car didn't pick her up, jaywalking or not. Further the fact that it was being tested with a person behind the wheel "just in case" but that person wasn't paying attention, doesn't really help the defense.
Closed Thread