BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #1475
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Possibly... but even then, it's dodgy at best.

I'm not big on women drinking beer, whether it be a craft beer or not. My mother didn't drink beer, and neither does my wife. They both prefer a kir royal, a French 75, or the like. I think it's pure class...
You see this sentiment a lot in the deep south, many women wouldn't be caught drinking anything but wine or whiskey, MAYBE vodka. My grandmother on my mother's side was a real pistol, we called her Lovey. Grew up in the Depression and the whole nine yards. She drank scotch, smoked and played solitaire all day long. I distinctly remember asking my mom one day why Lovey didn't drink beer, and she gave me this look like she had clearly been berated for asking the same thing before and said "because beer was for common people."

True story.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #1476
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Possibly... but even then, it's dodgy at best.

I'm not big on women drinking beer, whether it be a craft beer or not. My mother didn't drink beer, and neither does my wife. They both prefer a kir royal, a French 75, or the like. I think it's pure class...

Those are some classy cocktails, though not every setting is ideal for drinks of that type, even for women. Maybe it is a culture thing like PINeely suggests. Craft beer and beer festivals are a way of life in CO. I can't imagine the uproar that would be caused if people started saying women shouldn't be drinking beer.
      02-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #1477
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
You see this sentiment a lot in the deep south, many women wouldn't be caught drinking anything but wine or whiskey, MAYBE vodka. My grandmother on my mother's side was a real pistol, we called her Lovey. Grew up in the Depression and the whole nine yards. She drank scotch, smoked and played solitaire all day long. I distinctly remember asking my mom one day why Lovey didn't drink beer, and she gave me this look like she had clearly been berated for asking the same thing before and said "because beer was for common people."

I'm from Europe, and my wife is from a small town in Texas. I'm not insinuating beer is for common people, far from it, as I usually only drink beer or liquor myself.

True story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Those are some classy cocktails, though not every setting is ideal for drinks of that type, even for women. Maybe it is a culture thing like PINeely suggests. Craft beer and beer festivals are a way of life in CO. I can't imagine the uproar that would be caused if people started saying women shouldn't be drinking beer.
Most certainly not saying that women should not drink beer, absolutely not. I have female friends that drink beer. But I'm happy my wife enjoys a cocktail or good glass of wine vs. beer.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #1478
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most certainly not saying that women should not drink beer, absolutely not. I have female friends that drink beer. But I'm happy my wife enjoys a cocktail or good glass of wine vs. beer.
Oh yeah, I know that you weren't saying anything like that. Just a funny anecdote to illustrate the attitude. Poor Lovey never knew the joy of a good pint as far as I'm concerned.

Interestingly enough, Mississippi has started getting some really good craft beers lately that we didnt have before. Up until 2012 I think there was an ABV limit of 6% that kept all of the good stuff out. That limit got struck down and now that some of the high-gravity stuff is here lots of people are converting now that they know what an actual beer tastes like, both women and men.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #1479
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah, I know that you weren't saying anything like that. Just a funny anecdote to illustrate the attitude. Poor Lovey never knew the joy of a good pint as far as I'm concerned.

Interestingly enough, Mississippi has started getting some really good craft beers lately that we didnt have before. Up until 2012 I think there was an ABV limit of 6% that kept all of the good stuff out. That limit got struck down and now that some of the high-gravity stuff is here lots of people are converting now that they know what an actual beer tastes like, both women and men.
I have to say that the Americans have really stepped up their beer game the past few years. Ten years ago, you'd never hear anyone say that Americans knew how to make a good beer.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #1480
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Quote:

I have to say that the Americans have really stepped up their beer game the past few years. Ten years ago, you'd never hear anyone say that Americans knew how to make a good beer.
Completely false. Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Dogfish Head, Allagash, Russian River and countless others were doing it back then. Add our Northern neighbors from Unibroue too. American craft beer is hardly new. The American brewers have certainly been on point recently, but it's not exactly a new thing.

Maybe they're not to Westvleteren levels yet, but in terms of creativity, we're playing a different game than all but the Scots.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #1481
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Completely false. Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Dogfish Head, Allagash, Russian River and countless others were doing it back then. Add our Northern neighbors from Unibroue too. American craft beer is hardly new. The American brewers have certainly been on point recently, but it's not exactly a new thing.

Maybe they're not to Westvleteren levels yet, but in terms of creativity, we're playing a different game than all but the Scots.

Yeah, I would add New Belgium and Odell's to that list. They have been brewing some great beers for 20+ years.
      02-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #1482
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Remember, you're talking to a Belgian here so I would not put brewers such as Sierra Nevada and Anchor in a list of "amazing breweries". I'll make the exception for Dogfish Head, as their IPAs are good. But many, many of these craft breweries are churning out garbage. I know it's to each their own as flavor and taste are extremely subjective.

However, my point remains: in the past few years, the Americans are starting to figure it out and I'm pleasantly surprised that good quality beers are now brewed in US breweries.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #1483
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I would add New Belgium and Odell's to that list. They have been brewing some great beers for 20+ years.
I really wish they did not use the word "Belgium" in their brand as their beers aren't worthy of it. I recently tried "New Belgium Sunshine" and it was dreadful.

Cannot say I've tried Odell's yet. Anything in particular I should give a go?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #1484
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Remember, you're talking to a Belgian here so I would not put brewers such as Sierra Nevada and Anchor in a list of "amazing breweries". I'll make the exception for Dogfish Head, as their IPAs are good. But many, many of these craft breweries are churning out garbage. I know it's to each their own as flavor and taste are extremely subjective.

However, my point remains: in the past few years, the Americans are starting to figure it out and I'm pleasantly surprised that good quality beers are now brewed in US breweries.
For every Westvleteren you still have a few Jupiters and Stellas. Don't get me wrong, I've been to Vleteren and others and currently have bottles of Kwak and St Bernardus 12 in the fridge and have brewed a few open fermentation mashes with pirated Belgian yeasts.

Anchor brews a historically accurate period piece. Their Christmas ales are extremely good and their porter and stout are also excellent for the type. They, like SN, use very controlled yeasts and they won't have the random flavor profile of an open fermented Belgian, but in the same way that gin isn't vodka, but sort of is, both can be good.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #1485
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I really wish they did not use the word "Belgium" in their brand as their beers aren't worthy of it. I recently tried "New Belgium Sunshine" and it was dreadful.

Haha, I feel the same way about New Belgium. The only "American" Belgian brews that are really good used to be made by Pierre Celis, of Hoegaarden fame. Although Allagash is a good substitute.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #1486
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the derailment, but if you find DFH acceptable, you really need to track down some Russian River.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #1487
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Haha, I feel the same way about New Belgium. The only "American" Belgian brews that are really good used to be made by Pierre Celis, of Hoegaarden fame. Although Allagash is a good substitute.
Had the pleasure of meeting Pierre in the late 90s, and had dinner with his daughter and her husband. He most certainly knew how to brew some fine beers. I hardly ever see Celis anymore now...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #1488
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Had the pleasure of meeting Pierre in the late 90s, and had dinner with his daughter and her husband. He most certainly knew how to brew some fine beers. I hardly ever see Celis anymore now...
Sadly he had nearly the exact same thing that happened to him at Hoegaarden happen to him at Celis. It was bought by one of the big US Brewers, I forget which, they cheaped out on ingredients and it failed. A few years ago one of his daughters reopened it in Michigan and it got a little distribution, but I haven't seen it in years. Pity.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #1489
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:

Seeing that you guys are outside of CO, the New Belgium beers you most likely have access to are Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat. These are definitely not their best offerings. My favorites which I think are worthy of the "Belgium" name are 1554, Trippel, and Abbey. They have many low production volume beers that can be hard to find.

http://www.newbelgium.com/Beer/LipsofFaith.aspx

http://www.newbelgium.com/Beer/Sour.aspx

http://www.newbelgium.com/Beer/year-round.aspx

For Odell's regular beers, I like 5 Barrel pale ale and 90 Schilling amber ale. They also have many seasonal and hard to find beers as well.

http://odellbrewing.com/beers/

A couple of other CO beers I would recommend are Colette and Orabelle from Great Divide.

http://greatdivide.com/beers/#all
      02-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #1490
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Seeing that you guys are outside of CO, the New Belgium beers you most likely have access to are Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat. These are definitely not their best offerings. My favorites which I think are worthy of the "Belgium" name are 1554, Trippel, and Abbey. They have many low production volume beers that can be hard to find.

http://www.newbelgium.com/Beer/LipsofFaith.aspx

http://www.newbelgium.com/Beer/Sour.aspx

http://www.newbelgium.com/Beer/year-round.aspx

For Odell's regular beers, I like 5 Barrel pale ale and 90 Schilling amber ale. They also have many seasonal and hard to find beers as well.

http://odellbrewing.com/beers/

A couple of other CO beers I would recommend are Colette and Orabelle from Great Divide.

http://greatdivide.com/beers/#all
Good to know about the New Belgium beers. I don't think I've seen those around, but I'll look for it when I'm at Whole Foods tonight. They seem to carry some harder to find beers at times.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #1491
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by My335iTT View Post
Let me know how you like it and if you notice anything!!
Nope didnt like it. Couldnt fit the tmap sensor either, their hole size is small. Returning it.

Im a beer guy, but your booze looks good
      02-16-2015, 10:09 PM   #1492
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've been gradually trying all of the New Belgium ones, seems like a new one shows up on the shelves every month. I liked Snapshot a lot and Ranger is awesome if you like an IPA. 1554 and Abbey are pretty good as well.

Ones I don't like:
Accumulation, Shift, Sunshine, Trippel
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #1493
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I've been gradually trying all of the New Belgium ones, seems like a new one shows up on the shelves every month. I liked Snapshot a lot and Ranger is awesome if you like an IPA. 1554 and Abbey are pretty good as well.

Ones I don't like:
Accumulation, Shift, Sunshine, Trippel

I like Snapshot as I prefer wheat beer to be unfiltered unlike their Sunshine wheat beer. Their Trippel seems to be a love it or hate beer, maybe due to the coriander flavor which I love.
      02-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #1494
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like Snapshot as I prefer wheat beer to be unfiltered unlike their Sunshine wheat beer. Their Trippel seems to be a love it or hate beer, maybe due to the coriander flavor which I love.
Yeah, I haven't found a coriander beer that I liked yet. That probably has a lot to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #1495
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I haven't found a coriander beer that I liked yet. That probably has a lot to do with it.
You've never tried Hoegaarden?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #1496
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote: