BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #595
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Who ever said that people who choose not to have kids are not happy??
What was said was that people who don't have kids don't know true happiness until they have kids. I quoted the line in my earlier post.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 08:44 AM   #596
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
What was said was that people who don't have kids don't know true happiness until they have kids. I quoted the line in my earlier post.
He was being sarcastic...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #597
ddk632
United_States
Rep

I doubt it.

And, I wasn't singling out Mr. Tonka;

I have heard that same thing said, not sarcastically, countless times.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #598
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
I doubt it.

And, I wasn't singling out Mr. Tonka;

I have heard that same thing said, not sarcastically, countless times.
I think he was being sarcastic, but I understand how that response repeated over and over again to you by people who say and mean that could make you assume so. I hear it all the time...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 10:32 AM   #599
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Ok I went back and re-read it and can definitely see the sarcasm, especially after going back a couple extra pages for some context, which I hadn't done this morning.

I'm not here to be right about anything, so thanks for pointing out the sarcasm for me;

I will say what inspired my rant is that it has most definitely been my experience that *some* people who have kids actually use that same argument and truly, really believe it themselves. Which, as per my rant, just rubs me the wrong way. Let people be and respect other people's choices. That's all I'm saying.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #600
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Ok I went back and re-read it and can definitely see the sarcasm, especially after going back a couple extra pages for some context, which I hadn't done this morning.

I'm not here to be right about anything, so thanks for pointing out the sarcasm for me;

I will say what inspired my rant is that it has most definitely been my experience that *some* people who have kids actually use that same argument and truly, really believe it themselves. Which, as per my rant, just rubs me the wrong way. Let people be and respect other people's choices. That's all I'm saying.
It was truth in sarcasm. I've heard that from countless parents that i personally know. And have read it plenty of times on line, in forums, and this thread. Maybe not in plain wording like i said it, but it's typically implied, either inadvertently or purposely.

Any sane person knows that happiness is a state of mind. And anyone who tries add or subtract one aspect of life to or from someone's existing life, in order to make them happier is a delusional individual.
      03-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #601
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Good stuff, Tonka. I knew you were one of the sane ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #602
monkeybingo
First Lieutenant
Mongolia
Rep
Drives: 121

Because.. I am so sick dealing with dumb people out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #603
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post

This makes me very sad. To try and deal with the sorrow, I think my wife and I are going to have to grab one of those cheap last minute deals again and fly to Vegas this weekend, because, you know, we can do that.

In the day, I'll go wring the neck of a 458 Italia at Las Vegas Motor Speedway with Exotics Racing (got a discount coupon from the last time I went) while the Mrs amuses herself at the Forum Shops, then hit the SW Steakhouse at the Wynn for dinner, and catch a show at night.

It's clearly no substitute for having our own screaming bundle of poop machine, but we're quite self-involved and shallow, so that trip will really help us get over it.

Coincidence that recently the wife and i were in Vegas and we both went to the speedway for some track time. I turned 16 laps in the F430GT and she went out in the Scuderia. (of which i failed to get a picture) Good times!

03-31-2015, 09:28 PM   #604
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

What you get is the people on either side who question their decision arguing with the same people of the opposite, whereas those on both sides who are satisfied with their decision have no need for it.

It's not the merits of having or not that will sway you but what your OWN preferences are wrt them.

Think of it as vanilla, chocolate or (god forbid) strawberry.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 09:55 PM   #605
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Any god that forbids strawberry is no god in my book. Off with his head!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 01:14 AM   #606
JimM6GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC; '16 B6

Quote:

And people who seriously talk like that probably never took a basic psych class in college, and especially more specialized courses like Personality Theory, where they would see how silly they look.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #607
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
carve,

First and foremost, you were NOT the cause of your parents' divorce. Something you really need to remove from your programming. Hopefully you can get past that.
I never thought so

Quote:
Second, all the lifestyle you have now can continue after you have a child. It would add to the things you and your SO can do TOGETHER and with your child(ren) Next time you are in the airport, on the slopes, diving: look around. Don't you see kids too?
Almost never. I'm about to go mountain biking with my GF now that work is over. That, for example, would be no longer possible without finding a baby sitter. No more spontaneous anything, which is how we typically do things.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #608
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Almost never. I'm about to go mountain biking with my GF now that work is over. That, for example, would be no longer possible without finding a baby sitter. No more spontaneous anything, which is how we typically do things.
It's a concession you (or her) would have to make: the baby seat on the back and a bit milder course. But that is the opportunity to show your child those wonders, get him/her into a healthy lifestyle.

Heck, when I found out the M school was on the west coast, I was stoked. Then I saw I could take my son on the same day and he could do the teen driving. Something my dad didn't/couldn't do with me, but ANOTHER opportunity to do something with my son. He fishes with me (if there is a galley on the boat) surfs, would like to try skiing/snowboarding.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #609
carve
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
As part of a child-free couple myself, I have to say it is refreshing/encouraging to read many of the responses here from parents who do admit that it is not for everyone.

When I was young and foolish I used to think that it was pretty self evident that there is no single path to happiness, and that what is absolutely right for one person could be the worst possible choice for another.

Yet, I've met a disturbing number of parents who dont subscribe to that, and since having kids was good for them, they think you are somehow deficient or making a gigantic mistake by having different life choices. They simply refuse to try and fathom the concept that something is "not for everyone", and some of them are even surprisingly quite militant about it.

Nice to see that some people do get it; that not having kids makes me as happy as having kids makes you, and that's OK !
Stop kidding yourself Al. You will never know the kind of love that parents know. It's incomprehensible for those who don't have kids. You might think you're happy, but you won't know true happiness until you have a child of your own. Actually, until your child does something so cute it just turns your heart to goo.
You get a dose of oxytocin when dealing with your own kid (particularly if you're a woman) because it prevents you from wringing the poop machines neck. Not everyone gets the same rush. I've never felt the slightest tickle of that holding anybody else's baby, even one I'm related to; I just hope I don't break it or it doesn't puke or crap on me before I can give it back. I do feel a tickle of that when I hold a puppy though.

I honestly don't find kids particularly cute. I had college friends stay with me a few years ago with their two year old. What a little a-hole. He was outright mean, and like having a blender with no lid. My friend is miserable, his relationship with his wife is in ruins, and their lifestyle sucks. It's not that they don't love their kids- they do, more than anything; it's just that every other aspect of their life sucks. He confided he's jealous of my lifestyle and would probably go that route if he could hit rewind (and our careers and lives were almost identical until he got married and had kids)

True happiness is largely a choice. You have to control some things like taking care of your needs (like sleep, companionship and sex), but beyond that it's a choice. What you're feeling is a natural oxytocin rush from external stimuli, which is fine, but that doesn't make it "true". Also, more than likely your kid will cease being affectionate around age 12
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #610
carve
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
Quote:
It's a concession you (or her) would have to make: the baby seat on the back and a bit milder course. But that is the opportunity to show your child those wonders, get him/her into a healthy lifestyle.

Heck, when I found out the M school was on the west coast, I was stoked. Then I saw I could take my son on the same day and he could do the teen driving. Something my dad didn't/couldn't do with me, but ANOTHER opportunity to do something with my son. He fishes with me (if there is a galley on the boat) surfs, would like to try skiing/snowboarding.
Yeah- I'm not interested in that concession. It would be harmful to the relationship. A "bit" milder? Going from double black diamond to green is not a bit, and there's no way a bike seat would even be possible anywhere near the terrain and bikes I use, which is why i almost never encounter kids while doing my activities. It would no longer be interesting for me, so just another concession of something that brings me joy for the kid

Also, there's no guarantee my kid would like the same things. My dad was resentful I didn't have his interests, like fishing for example (and we had a river 30' from our front door)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #611
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
What you're feeling is a natural oxytocin rush from external stimuli, which is fine, but that doesn't make it "true".
That applies to EVERYTHING in existence..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #612
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

A lady in the office next to us just walked in to show me her 2 month old. The cooing, sneezing, and smell of newish born baby is just an "aaaawwwwweeeeee".

Children make the world a better place. The innocence, the laughter, the love.

I want another one.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #613
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

The house I'm in the works of purchasing smells like a baby. There were baby items all over the inside...,

I don't like the way babies smell. They smell funny. There I said it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #614
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
The house I'm in the works of purchasing smells like a baby. There were baby items all over the inside...,

I don't like the way babies smell. They smell funny. There I said it.
Yeah, if you dont bathe them! lol
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #615
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post

Children make the world a better place. I want another one.
What does the mister have to say about that?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #616
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Carve, buddy, I understand you. I know how you feel (minus the shitty parents, 'cause mine are great). For instance, Sara504's last post about that 2 month old? Yeah, those actions from that 2 month old make her go "aaaawwwwweeeeee" and me want to go throw up. Also, nothing pisses me off more than when people bring their damn kids to work. So far everything you've said is precisely me regarding kids and the same goes for your marriage thread (I'm not gonna double post this in there with word change-outs)...but here's what you need to understand. You are in the minority in this world. You've gotten all the "answers" you're gonna get out of this thread topic (and the the other). You need to be more like me and just realize that your viewpoints and choices just aren't in line with most people's and move on. You will take abuse and field dumbass questions from dumbass married people who do or don't have kids. They will come from every angle: your family, your friends\acquaintances, and even strangers on message boards. It's the price you have to pay for the life you want and love to live. So pay it and move on. Let the parents be parents, married people be married, and you be you. You won't change minds, you won't understand them (truly), and they won't understand you (truly). Just time to get over it.

Last edited by davis449; 04-09-2015 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 2