F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 benefits/advantages over Dinan Sport/JB+
Extreme Powerhouse

09-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

JB4 benefits/advantages over Dinan Sport/JB+

Can someone give a good explanation of what added benefits I would get by going with a JB4 as compared to the Dinan Sport of JB+ (especially pertaining to the N20).

I understand that the JB4 is a more extensive tune, but what are the real world benefits?

I would guess you get a bigger or maybe more well rounded power boost. I've also seen something about logging, but have no real idea what the benefits are of this.

How easy or difficult is it to change the programming of the JB4? The Dinan Sport is done very simply via an app. I think I've seen that you use the steering wheel stalk controls for the JB4. Is this the only way or have they changed it over time to work with an app?

I'd be very interested in hearing whatever people have to offer!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

the jb4 also uses an app that you can access using a data cable or bluetooth. With the logging capabilities you get a chance to see whats going on inside your engine and make sure everything is working in harmony. The dinan is comparable to the bms stage 1, the jb4 is the upgrade and is much more comprehensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Fults11
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xd Retired, 2015 M4

I just put their JB4, filters, and intercooler pipes. Only had it installed for less than a week.
1) they were very helpful, every question i had they answered and didn't make me feel like they were going out of the way. Very friendly
2) the app is great.
downside is they sell you the bluetooth then charge another 30$ for the app, yes when i went back and read every word on the web page it tells you that its extra but all you read as a consumer is the bluetooth features and you quickly get blinded by all the app talk.
3) the jb4 seems to be working but i don't have a baseline, but i can feel the difference.
and yes you can log information, its rather in-depth and i haven't figured out what all the info is. i can send you a log sheet if your interested.
4) they don't send any directions, you will need to download everything and to be honest the directions are crap. the pictures aren't that great so your guessing. BUT, the video they make that can be found on youtube is very good so if you use both your good.
5) the air intake and intercooler pipes did not fit up well at all, it took me over an hour to just get the rear intake pipe installed, the fit was off and it would just not line up, i have pics if your interested, and that was the same with the rest of the stuff.
6) the total time for me to install the JB4, the Air intake, and the intercooler pipes was 6.5 hours. It should be noted that i still have one wire to connect and thats to the fuel rail to run map 7.

I would think the main question is, would i recommend the JB4...YES, the other stuff....not so much.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320ayayay...

Jb4 owns the piggy back tuning game. Dinan is playing catchup. This is their attempt to compy the bms stage 1.

Jb4 offers more power, datalogging, and a whole support community. There is a reason they're more popular -- same reason Dinan dropped their warranty and copied their approach with this product.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Can someone give a good explanation of what added benefits I would get by going with a JB4 as compared to the Dinan Sport of JB+ (especially pertaining to the N20).

I understand that the JB4 is a more extensive tune, but what are the real world benefits?

I would guess you get a bigger or maybe more well rounded power boost. I've also seen something about logging, but have no real idea what the benefits are of this.

How easy or difficult is it to change the programming of the JB4? The Dinan Sport is done very simply via an app. I think I've seen that you use the steering wheel stalk controls for the JB4. Is this the only way or have they changed it over time to work with an app?

I'd be very interested in hearing whatever people have to offer!
JB+
Connect to TMAP adds any boost value user chooses from 0-4 psi

Dinan Sport
Identical to JB+ + Bluetooth connection to change boost from the car

JB Stage 1
Connect to MAP and TMAP gives you more power than both tunes mentioned above because it also can alter timing
JB stage 1 can also log boost, this is useful in the future in case you want to check whether your car is hitting target boost or not

JB4 stage 2
Connect to MAP, TMAP, Canbus

More power than all 3
8 different maps for different mods
Bluetooth connectivity
Steering wheel control to change settings
max boost by gear for much better traction control
reads and delete codes
compatible with upgrdaded fuel, meth and upgraded turbos
datalog ( used to diagnose issues that you are having or checking whether the car is running well with the extra boost or not)

For more info about tunes, I posted a thread comparing them
Here is the link
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1173502

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #6
Minty_
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

In additional to the slight increase in power, does having the additional MAP connection for ignition timing in the Stage 1 and JB4 help with reliability and driveability?
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty415 View Post
In additional to the slight increase in power, does having the additional MAP connection for ignition timing in the Stage 1 and JB4 help with reliability and driveability?
JB+, Dinan Sport and Jb stage 1 should have the same driveability
Jb4 is superior because of the access to Canbus

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #8
K320
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: G01-X3 30i MSport

It is in portugese but you can appreciate the power levels of these three popular piggybacks.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #9
RevToRed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3 BEV, 2018 Giulia Quad

No need to understand Portuguese, JB4 dominates.
I wonder what fuel are they using. In Brazil most BMWs are running on 100% ethanol.
Appreciate 0