BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
alex_750li
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li

My first week in an F02 BMW 750Li

Hi guys. After several attempts at registering I finally got through the SPAM filters…

I just got me a Sapphire Black ’09 750Li with Black / Oyster interior and black roof-liner, riding on OEM 20” wheels with run-flats.

The more sensible “me” would have gone for a “poverty spec” 730d and saved a fortune. This time round I decided that I didn’t want to think that every other 7 on the road was possibly somehow better than mine so I went all out and ticked every box…I can now talk about the options I didn’t get:

- Rear cooler – not available on this market.
- Ski bag – not available on this market.
- Speed Limit Assist – not available on this market.
- Heated steering wheel – provided by Mother Nature.
- Supplementary Heating – provided by Mother Nature.
- Ceramic Knobs – I really wanted the silver ones.
- Tow bar – not cool.

Impressions so far:
  • Very quiet and smooth floating ride (comfort mode), gorgeous instrumentation, beautiful orange glow in the dark – big grin all the way home. Unbelievable acceleration when prodding the accelerator.
  • Head Up Display: works as advertised, very helpful, and provides lots of extra info. The Navigation pointers change direction when you turn – very cool. I had a little difficulty seeing the HUD during the day while wearing polarized sunglasses; however I find that if I turn my head slightly at an angle I can read it (my passengers probably think I have neck strain).
  • Radar Cruise Control – sensational! This thing actually drives right up to the car in front and stops. I had my foot covering the brake the whole time, I didn’t believe it would work but it did. It made me laugh out loud. It is so good that it gives you confidence to play with the controls a little more while driving – not recommended.
  • Lane departure: works as advertised but I don’t have the habit of signaling when nobody is around. I plan to use this feature when I’m feeling sleepy…
  • Blind Spot Detection: works as advertised and has been helpful at least once. Sometimes it scares me into thinking another car is there but it was buzzing about another car further behind. Needs a little getting used to.
  • Forward Alert: so far this only came on once, when it did I had already slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting the jerk in front of me. I think it will be more useful at higher speeds with greater distances between the cars.
  • Four-wheel-steering: when negotiating a U-turn it’s amazing – my 750 is about 5 inches longer than my other car – an FJ Cruiser – but this one turns a lot tighter. I didn’t really notice the difference at high speed.
  • Dynamic Drive: I love it – keeps the car really level at speed and I love cornering fast.
  • Auto-hold: works as advertised and really takes the stress out of stop-go traffic.
  • The Rear: my passengers loved the extra AC in the roof, the twin DVD players, the remote for the front seat, the infrared headphones, the massage seats, the electric sun-shades and the acres of leg room. They didn’t like the violent acceleration (hehe).

I also loved the side cameras, the smog detector / auto-recirculation feature on the AC, the speech activated menus and phone, the 3D perspective navigation – those cute little buildings rendered in 3D are a nice touch, and the way the seat squeezes you in at the waist and seat belt when you first get in. I haven’t had a chance to use the night vision and high beam assist as I’ve only driven in well illuminated areas.

So far I have some issues with the car:
  • Throttle response: nothing seems to happen for 1-2 seconds when you press the accelerator – especially from low speeds. It is very hard to drive the car smoothly when negotiating road humps for example. I am hoping BMW will be able to fix this for me.
  • BMW Online Services: no internet browser – strange considering the both RSS news feeds and e-mail are working. They told me it’s something to do with the telecoms infrastructure here – still strange since it works just fine on my phone…oh well.
  • Suspension Noise: again those dreaded road humps – it feels like the front suspension isn’t lubricated properly.

Well that’s all I can think of for now...I think after a week with this car my ego has swollen to the size of a small M-class planet.

Cheers!

Alex
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
dxbf02
Rep
Drives: '09 750Li

Congrats. I see you purchased your F02 from Abu Dhabi Motors.

Black was my first color choice, then decided against it and go for AW.

Enjoy in good health.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #3
alex_750li
Rep

I did indeed, and thanks. My first choice colour was cashmere silver but the black won me over when I saw it in person and especially the black/oyster interior with black roof liner and the black anthracite wood. The interior colour has wowed all my passengers so far...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

very good choice over 730d! (4,4l v8 is an awesome sporty engine!) congrats for the new car!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Congrats on your car. Looks great! Enjoy...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
very good choice over 730d! (4,4l v8 is an awesome sporty engine!) congrats for the new car!
It's not just a 4.4l V8... It's twin turbocharged on top of that
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 750Li

Congrats!

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 2000 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_750li View Post
I did indeed, and thanks. My first choice colour was cashmere silver but the black won me over when I saw it in person and especially the black/oyster interior with black roof liner and the black anthracite wood. The interior colour has wowed all my passengers so far...
ya that interior black/oyster color is absolutely fantastic! i've seen it in person on a few BMWs and it's the best interior for sure! i never could understand people getting the all beige interior because i don't like the color first of all but it would get so dirty so fast. i can't believe it took this long to figure out that it should be black where your feet are and a nice white (oyster) color above that!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

Congratulations on your beautiful car. I agree, the black is beautiful in person.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Congrats dude. I hope it turns out to be a great car.

BTW, I love the side camera's on the front bumper. It can be really helpful while coming out from a T junction.
      10-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Smile Welcome

Congrats! She's a beaut.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
alex_750li
Rep

Thanks guys...appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 12:16 AM   #13
samuraisaiyo
First Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 318i E36

nice
      10-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
Turbo Squid
Model
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast and Loud

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_750li View Post
... the way the seat squeezes you in at the waist and seat belt when you first get in. ...
Your F02 hugs you hello?

Now I'm jealous, I wish the 335 had done that, or the M3. Sounds pleasant.
      10-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #15
alex_750li
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Squid View Post
Your F02 hugs you hello?

Now I'm jealous, I wish the 335 had done that, or the M3. Sounds pleasant.
It sure does - I don't think of it as a hug (now that I have crossed the 2000 km break-in preiod) - more like "hold on tight".
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Appreciate 0