BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

04-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
wangxy83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C350 4matics

Exclamation Can you lock your 7-series when the engine is still running? (2013 model)

My fiancee's parents just got a brand new 2013 740 in China but apparently the car can be locked while the engine is still running which kinda concerns her mom. I suggested her mom to ask the local dealer. At the mean time, I was wondering if the 7 series over here can be locked or not while the engine is running. I was thinking maybe there is nothing wrong with that car and it is suppose to be able to get locked without turn off the engine.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangxy83
My fiancee's parents just got a brand new 2013 740 in China but apparently the car can be locked while the engine is still running which kinda concerns her mom. I suggested her mom to ask the local dealer. At the mean time, I was wondering if the 7 series over here can be locked or not while the engine is running. I was thinking maybe there is nothing wrong with that car and it is suppose to be able to get locked without turn off the engine.

Thanks in advance.
Yes. You can lock the 7 series F01/02 with engine running.

It can be locked from the inside by way of the lock button below hazard lights. Or, it can be locked by way of the key fob outside the car.

Tell your mom to follow these two rules:

1. When standing outside the vehicle, look through the driver's window to view the tachometer and to ensure RPM is at 0.

2. After locking the vehicle, look through the driver's window and verify the clown nose is flashing.

If you follow these two rules, you can be doubly sure the engine is off after locking the car---so you won't asphyxiate your family.

It is easy to get distracted and leave the vehicle running. Especially, if you park in a noisy environment.
Appreciate 0