BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #1
audiogolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

g12 Seat comfort

had the chance to take my 2016 750xi msport for a 600+ (300 each way) mile trip last weekend, boy was disappointed by it seats. by the end of the trip no matter on what setting comfort plus included the seats felt rock hard, left me with a sore ass and back. I adjusted the seat in every possible way, used the massage to lessen the pain but nothing helped. had to stop after 2 hrs of continuous drive. I feel my 2011 740i and 2014 550 seats were better, heck even the honda pilot seats are much better, and i have taken it on much longer road trips.

does anybody else feel the same way?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogolf View Post
had the chance to take my 2016 750xi msport for a 600+ (300 each way) mile trip last weekend, boy was disappointed by it seats. by the end of the trip no matter on what setting comfort plus included the seats felt rock hard, left me with a sore ass and back. I adjusted the seat in every possible way, used the massage to lessen the pain but nothing helped. had to stop after 2 hrs of continuous drive. I feel my 2011 740i and 2014 550 seats were better, heck even the honda pilot seats are much better, and i have taken it on much longer road trips.

No, but I am comparing to my previous F10s. Other comparisons are my wifes E350 wagon and our F31 wagon. I find the massage to be really good for my chronic back, and I prefer firm to soft. I like the seats in the G12 better than any I have had. Of course, seat preferences are like color preferences. So I can't tell you that is good for me is good for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

I think most do not know how to properly adjust their seats and sit in positions that are not ergonomic. It is a pain to initially setup correctly, but I find them very comfortable.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
audiogolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Quote:

No, but I am comparing to my previous F10s. Other comparisons are my wifes E350 wagon and our F31 wagon. I find the massage to be really good for my chronic back, and I prefer firm to soft. I like the seats in the G12 better than any I have had. Of course, seat preferences are like color preferences. So I can't tell you that is good for me is good for you.
On shorter drives yes, the seats are great, I felt this uncomfortable first time on the long road trip.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 12:55 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I find BMW seats more comfortable generally, before taking the delivery of my G30 I had test driven a G12 7 Series and the seats were sublime .In my current G30 has got multicomfort seats and very comfortable even in long trips more than 3 hours of driving .I just don't like lumbar support , it may sound awkward but I don't like them .
G11/12 7 Series' seats is a tad more comfy to my liking .If your car has a seat extension at the bottom ,assuming you have, you can stick it out it may help .
      10-26-2017, 01:07 AM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I find BMW seats more comfortable generally, before taking the delivery of my G30 I had test driven a G12 7 Series and the seats were sublime .In my current G30 has got multicomfort seats and very comfortable even in long trips more than 3 hours of driving .I just don't like lumbar support , it may sound awkward but I don't like them .
G11/12 7 Series' seats is a tad more comfy to my liking .If your car has a seat extension at the bottom ,assuming you have, you can stick it out it may help .
Just make sure not to hug lumbar or stick out lower back support too much.
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
NewsomBlair
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 740i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Just make sure not to hug lumbar or stick out lower back support too much.
I find the seats to be very comfortable, but only after figuring out how to set them just right. It took awhile. Main tips, all of which I learned from others:

- Your tail bone should be against the bottom and back of the seat...no space "behind your behind."
- Extend the seat cushion until it is almost but not quite touching the back of your lower legs.
- Move the lumbar vertically until he position feels good, but then don't make it push on your back too much...just enough to reduce strain without pressure.
- Recline your seat to a comfortable position first, and then move the upper back cushion forward until it supports your shoulders and the headrest is barely touching your head. Then tweak both recline and upper cushion a couple times more until it's just right. This is the key to best comfort.
- Don't extend the side bolsters too much unless you really want the race car feel. The most comfortable setting is where you don't feel you have to hold yourself from moving side to side in a turn, yet are not feeling "squeezed" by the seat.
-Set your steering wheel distance so that your wrists are draped over the steering wheel while your arms are just slightly bent.
- Set the headrest height so that it touches the middle of the back of your head... it too high or too low.
- When you get the seat just right, memorize the setting! It's a pain to have to redo it. đŸ˜€

That said, all of this is subjective as everyone's body is different. The overall goal is a position where you rarely need to strain to hold yourself in position...the seat does the work.
Appreciate 3
Almaretto2374.00
Al Pină1839.50
      03-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #8
nye2018sd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series (F30)

Quote:

You are completely right. I drove the 7 series multiple times, i sat in the rear as a passenger for hours. The rear seats are great and I would take this car over the S Class. but the front seats are HORRIBLE. there is almost no padding on the cushion and you do feel the seats. When yo compare them to the S Class seats, they are night and day. Not sure how BMW let this basic comfort factor through with such seats. They are more appropriate for a Sports Car but not an executive saloon.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #9
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Literally just got back today from a 4 day trip from Chicago to Toronto and back. The front seats felt amazing from where I was sitting. My wife agrees. As others have mentioned, initial setup is crucial to long term comfort. Should mention that I'm a giant at about 6'7" 240lbs.
      03-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #10
pugxs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport

Having performed numerous 600 mile+ round trips recently, I can say that the comfort seats in my 7 series are superbly comfortable...!! By far the most comfortable long drives I have done before - especially when combining this with comfort+ suspension setting and the seat massage feature.

I would suggest those who say otherwise perhaps haven't found the optimal seat position for their posture yet. Stick at it and you won't be disappointed....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #11
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & X6

I must say I've driven and owned many cars but nothing beats the comfort seats in the 7 series there just so comfy and relaxing on long drives.
Appreciate 0